81 GL1100 carbs for sale

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
larryakruse
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

81 GL1100 carbs for sale

Postby larryakruse » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

The carbs were re-built then set up on a bike about 3 years ago. Then they were cleaned and shelved. They are very clean on the outside but were not cleaned and drained very well and are now very hard to move the throttle. I have went over to a single carb and don't plan on using these again. They probably just need and ultrasonic cleaning as almost all of the internal parts are new.
Email me or call me and we can discuss price. I am sure we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement. Thanks for your time.
Larry A. Kruse
larryakruse@yahoo.com
985-607-5892

2speed
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Re: 81 GL1100 carbs for sale

Postby 2speed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 am

Larry, Did you build your own intake..or..Buy one already made? What type of Carb are you useing?

larryakruse

Postby larryakruse » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

I bought one off of ebay because I couldn't find any help building one. I would not recommend any particular one as they are all built wrong. The intake tube from the carb to the cylinder head should have a volume no more than the cylinder itself. If it is then you will get pooling of gas and poor idle. The solution for this was to heat the intake with engine coolant run through tube under the intake. Not my solution mind you as heating the fuel is never a good fix as it robs power. Any way, I am using a single barrel Weber, pict34, carb and I have not tried it yet as the bike is still not finished. I have seen Youtube videos of this set up and it seems to work just fine but nobody ever talks about whether or not they had to rejet or the difficulties with setting up the air to fuel adjustments on the new carb. I have been building bikes for years and setting up carbs on many a different bike and would not recommend this route unless you are very experienced. The carb I am using is jetted with a range of something like 1080 to 1240 or something like that. It should be okay as I have Accel coils, 10mm solid core wires 50ohm/ft and jardine headers with harley tips. It will breathe well. I was going to use this 81 1100 carb as it is probably the best one made but with modern gas the way it is I didn't want the problems it causes to these old carbs. Good luck on your rebuild if you do it and you might want to look up motorcycle and automobile intake manifold design and get informed as to what you are about to do and the problems with ALL of the intakes, GL that is, available on the market right now.
Best Regards,
Larry

2speed
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby 2speed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:05 am

Larry...Thanks for the Honest Reply.
I also have been building scooters for years, all types of ( Custom Mods ) Yeah! Been a Wrench for 45 Years...I'm Now Semi-Retired from being a Heavy Truck Diesel Engine Tech...So, I kinda been around the block a few times.
Anyways...Was just wondering what you ended up doing for a Manifold. I have done a lot of Research on 4 into 1 Intakes..Seen all the ones on Youtube...So, I came up with my own Design, my own Idea, and it works very well.

I welded 4 round tubes ( 1" 5/8 ) to a ( 2" inch ) Square tube, Split a ( 1" 5/8 ) to make a Double UU in the center of the Square tube, dead center under the Carb...to stop any Pooling of Fuel. The carb is mounted flat to the top of the Square Tube...NO Drop down Neck like the ones I've seen..Then Cap Both ends.
I used a Type 34 VW Carb, Bumped up the Main Jet 2 sizes larger.... RUNS-EXCELLENT!! I also, Built my own Dual Exhaust System.

Intake is totally built out of Aluminum...and Cost me $20.00 Bucks, Carb Cost $35.00 Bucks.
Working on getting a Patent...its already in the works. No one can Touch it...NOW!

larryakruse

Postby larryakruse » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 am

The manifold is on the bike and I will be trying to set it up once the rest of the bike is finished. I am done with the the Honda carbs. Back in the 79 era when gas didn't turn into crap in a month the honda carbs were great. Now though there are just to many little airways that can get clogged up way to fast. Look at my pics and you will see what I did.
Best Regards,
Larry A. Kruse

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”