GL1500 J&M front speakers $50 shipped

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

GL1500 J&M front speakers $50 shipped

Postby millerized » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:06 am

J&M Audio front fairing speakers.
Pulling these out to put in Polk's, good shape, work fine.
Paypal, or cash/money order via snailmail.
$50 for the pair, shipped and insured USPS Priority.
Shoot me an email or PM here, and we'll go from there.

millerized

Re: GL1500 J&M front speakers $50 shipped

Postby millerized » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Nevermind. Tried the Polk's....not real happy with them. Way less bass than the J&M, highs were nice, but not enough to keep them. The speakers only measure about 4", the 5" must be diagonally screw to screw.
Back to Amazon they go. Will continue to look for a better solution, but the Polk's ain't it.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:45 pm

I had heard nothing but good reviews of the Polk speakers.
I need to replace mine and am trying to decide.
Which J&M and Polk models did you use?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

millerized

Postby millerized » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:41 am

I love Polk's as well. From my first pair of AM5's when I was in Germany in the late 80's, to the pair of RT1000p's as shop speakers now, the 4 DXi571's and 3 PA330's in the Ranger...I love me some Polk...but...

... these little DB501's are very, very lacking in output. Either the stereo amp doesn't have enough balls to push them, or their diminutive size just won't push the sound I need to justify changing them out or keeping them. Outside of the highs, the J&M's just give more, with almost as much clarity as the Polks. Yeah, they're single cone and single cone and quality sound aren't synonymous, but I expected a lot more from the Polks.

I just checked the specs on them...it's at best a 4" cone. Outside dimensions are only 4.375", so a 4" cone is probably pushing it. Guess I hit an audio store to find something else. Someone has got to make a bigger speaker that will fit, even with some slight modifications to the dash.

(once I figured out these wouldn't fit, I tried a set of Blaupunkt 5.25's....way too much dash needs cut out to even get them flush that they still don't fit height wise. You'd have to cut out part of the dash cover above the vents even to get the dash cover back on. Way more than I wanted to get into overnight)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 am

The issue with output on the Polks is not the size, it is the impedance. They are 4 ohm speakers, which is standard for automotive speakers.

OEM Goldwing speakers are 3 ohms. That means an amplifier that is capable of producing 40 watts per channel into 3 ohm speakers can only put out 30 watts per channel into 4 ohm speakers. So for the same volume setting, the speakers will be quieter.

That said, the Polk speakers are actually known for putting out good bass. If you are OK with the volume of the speakers, but not with the bass, the problem is usually going to be due to the enclosure, or sealing - the speaker must be sealed against the enclosure in which it is mounted. If air can get around the edges, that sucks the bass out of the sound it produces.

millerized

Postby millerized » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:15 am

Oh, it's output. I had them hooked to another stereo...they still sucked as far as sound output. Frequency response just doesn't cut it...no bass when compared to the J&M stuff.

I'm measuring now for different speakers. Looking at some retro vehicle aftermarket stereo and speaker companies, since these aren't really 'modern' sized. Worse case, and I'm looking at it simply because I have a set at the house....MM461's. Lots of 4x6 with a lot of outlying plate that can be trimmed to fit. The existing hole in the dash would need to be pushed to the side a bit, but...again...worst case. I'll measure tonight and see exactly what space I have to work with.

Yeah, I'm a few years late to the game, but I'd rather have no sound at all than have a crappy sounding system. And yes, I realize it's a motorcycle...but I've done a few things in my life that folks have told me that couldn't be done. (and a few that SHOULDN'T have been done...but those have all healed up and the scars aren't all visible) ;) I'm just a tinkerer...and if I'm not tinkering around with something, well, I'm either dead or sleeping.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”