Compass/Thermometer Unit

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
DennyH
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I Interstate

Compass/Thermometer Unit

Postby DennyH » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:14 pm

I am looking for an add on unit. I saw a digital combination unit in a picture on the site and was wondering if it is available and if so, where can I find it.. Would be an outdoor rated unit and probably powered off the electrical system.

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Compass/Thermometer Unit

Postby newday777 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 am

Without a picture, hard to know what you saw. Aftermarket parts come and go quickly.
You might try a marine/boat supply for waterproof unit.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:39 am

I was talking to a seasoned gw driver one day and I asked him if he had a compass on his machine and what type or brand it was. Never found one that worked right he said. Should of asked him sooner since I had tried four different compasses my self. Electrical inference and location seems to be the problem. I would try before you buy. Set in in location to see if it moves on its own or not and then start engine and see if it stays in place on target i.e. n s e w .
Some of the more expensive compasses have adjustment for correction, but never enough and when I tried going down the road ,they were not stable. To me the combo temp and compass are inferior and not worth the time. If you do find one that is accurate and stable, let me know if you don't mind. The compass which I have now is battery powered and held up for a year and is not manufactured any more is accurate. Now no matter which direction I travel, it is sw now.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:43 am

redbug wrote:I was talking to a seasoned gw driver one day and I asked him if he had a compass on his machine and what type or brand it was. Never found one that worked right he said. Should of asked him sooner since I had tried four different compasses my self. Electrical inference and location seems to be the problem. I would try before you buy. Set in in location to see if it moves on its own or not and then start engine and see if it stays in place on target i.e. n s e w .
Some of the more expensive compasses have adjustment for correction, but never enough and when I tried going down the road ,they were not stable. To me the combo temp and compass are inferior and not worth the time. If you do find one that is accurate and stable, let me know if you don't mind. The compass which I have now is battery powered and held up for a year and is not manufactured any more is accurate. Now no matter which direction I travel, it is sw now.

Magnetic compasses can be tough to get working correctly as an aftermarket add-on, particularly if there are changing electrical currents nearby (and on a motorcycle, everything is nearby). You could be heading south, until you turn your high beams on, then you're suddenly heading southwest.

I have a TomTom GPS on my bike, and it has a function where it shows a compass in the corner, along with your current heading (in degrees). It derives this by tracking your motion, so you need to be moving for it to function. If you rotate the bike, it won't have any idea what direction you're pointing until you start moving again. At slow speeds, it will lag a second or two behind, but at normal riding speeds it's quite accurate.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”