All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Easy rider
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm
Location: Croatia / EU
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Easy rider » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:50 am






User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by brettchallenger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm

It was interesting what the designer said about using car tyres on a motorcycle. Don't know about the USA, but here I suspect if you were involved in an accident (whether or not your fault) you would find the insurance company wriggling earnestly, and avoiding paying out if you are running tyres not designed or approved for use on a motorcycle.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19035
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm

There's an interesting article on Rider magazine, the first real ride (on-road) by a reporter:

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/01/22/201 ... ide-review

A few notes on things they found:

- The louder mufflers get annoying. He found the louder drone of the exhaust became tiresome and irritating after a while, and he found himself wishing for earplugs. Loudness for the sake of making noise doesn't make sense to me, particularly on a long-distance tourer.

- The audio system sound controls - equalization, etc. - work only on the speakers. They do not modify the sound going to the Bluetooth headsets, so as a result he found the sound of the music rather tinny.

- Like the previous GL1800, much of the navigation functionality as well as the bike controls - audio, suspension, engine modes, etc. are disabled when the bike is moving.

- The low passenger grabrails can't really be used by the passenger while riding, as the passenger has to lean over to be able to reach them. He said they were not at all helpful during braking, and the passenger would be pushed up against his back.

- The passenger gets quite a bit of wind buffeting.

- The feel of shock and vibration in the handlebars from the front end is almost non-existent, being that the only connection between the handlebars and the steering is two tie rods.

- He noted rather sluggish handling at slow speeds and in U-turns, and with no clutch to feather, he found slow-speed maneuvering somewhat difficult.

- The 7 speed DCT is smooth and instantaneous, with just barely an indication it is shifting during downshifting.

DarthJ
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by DarthJ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm
There's an interesting article on Rider magazine, the first real ride (on-road) by a reporter:

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/01/22/201 ... ide-review

A few notes on things they found:

- The louder mufflers get annoying. He found the louder drone of the exhaust became tiresome and irritating after a while, and he found himself wishing for earplugs. Loudness for the sake of making noise doesn't make sense to me, particularly on a long-distance tourer.

- The audio system sound controls - equalization, etc. - work only on the speakers. They do not modify the sound going to the Bluetooth headsets, so as a result he found the sound of the music rather tinny.

- Like the previous GL1800, much of the navigation functionality as well as the bike controls - audio, suspension, engine modes, etc. are disabled when the bike is moving.

- The low passenger grabrails can't really be used by the passenger while riding, as the passenger has to lean over to be able to reach them. He said they were not at all helpful during braking, and the passenger would be pushed up against his back.

- The passenger gets quite a bit of wind buffeting.

- The feel of shock and vibration in the handlebars from the front end is almost non-existent, being that the only connection between the handlebars and the steering is two tie rods.

- He noted rather sluggish handling at slow speeds and in U-turns, and with no clutch to feather, he found slow-speed maneuvering somewhat difficult.

- The 7 speed DCT is smooth and instantaneous, with just barely an indication it is shifting during downshifting.


Yeah, I've been waiting for reviews to see if i'd give the new Wing a shot, but those two alone, nope. If mama no like, I'm in trouble, lol.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by brettchallenger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm

I am looking forward to the comparison tests between the new Goldwing and the BMW K1600.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 pm

brettchallenger wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm
It was interesting what the designer said about using car tyres on a motorcycle. Don't know about the USA, but here I suspect if you were involved in an accident (whether or not your fault) you would find the insurance company wriggling earnestly, and avoiding paying out if you are running tyres not designed or approved for use on a motorcycle.

Not True:

I have heard folks claim that insurance companies will refuse to pay if you have a "car tire" on your bike. Total Balderdash crap.

I have personally talked to several agents, and also the claim processor who handled my GL1500 when Penske's semi totalled it out....

Every single one of them said, "well, it has a tire on it, right?"
and that was as far as they would go.

any motorcycle manufacturer is going to say the same exact thing you heard/read.
their lawyers can't condone it, because "Honda" spec'd out a particular tire...
end of their belief system.

that don't have a dam thing to do with you and me, deciding that we want to run a different flavor of tire.

I have a Run Flat tire on my bike, why?
because it can loose all the air in it, and I can still ride it a minimum of 50 miles and get it fixed, or replaced as necessary.

There is not a single m/c tire made that can go 50 miles with zero tire pressure at nominal speeds of 40 mph..... mine can...

I have a TPMS on it just so I don't have to get on my knees to check tire pressures.
I never, ever, look at it once I take off for the day. The FOB stays in the trunk.

Been riding bikes since 1955 and I have yet to have my first flat tire.
knock on wood...
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by brettchallenger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Total Balderdash crap
I didn't say this applies to the US, I merely asked the question. But it certainly applies in the UK. Increasingly, insurance companies are constantly seeking ways to minimise or even avoid expensive settlements, and they make it very clear in their application literature that failure to declare modifications to a vehicle (or indeed fail to declare relevant driver information eg non-spent criminal record) will invalidate any insurance claims subsequently made. Moreover, if a modification, such as putting a car tyre on a motorcycle is declared, the insurer will insist on the motorcycle manufacturer making a statement that such a modification is safe and approved by them. Somehow, I can't see a Honda spokesperson saying, "sure, fit a tyre designed for a car on our motorcycle, it will be fine and we hereby state that it is totally safe".

Just one more point; an accident does not have to have involved the non-standard modification, the insurance company will still use that to avoid paying.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:45 pm

brettchallenger wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Total Balderdash crap
I didn't say this applies to the US, I merely asked the question. But it certainly applies in the UK. Increasingly, insurance companies are constantly seeking ways to minimise or even avoid expensive settlements, and they make it very clear in their application literature that failure to declare modifications to a vehicle (or indeed fail to declare relevant driver information eg non-spent criminal record) will invalidate any insurance claims subsequently made. Moreover, if a modification, such as putting a car tyre on a motorcycle is declared, the insurer will insist on the motorcycle manufacturer making a statement that such a modification is safe and approved by them. Somehow, I can't see a Honda spokesperson saying, "sure, fit a tyre designed for a car on our motorcycle, it will be fine and we hereby state that it is totally safe".

Just one more point; an accident does not have to have involved the non-standard modification, the insurance company will still use that to avoid paying.
No where in the owners manual or in OEM literature is towing a trailer identified, but many do it regardless. I think you would get the same answer from an OEM rep regarding this as well.

I would think that for the initial warranty period, a CT and towing of a trailer will not be high on an owner's list of add-ons.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 pm

I saw on Facebook today, that the 2018 tour sales #1 bike rode out the sales room door today...
forget where it was, I am sure Google can find it.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

User avatar
Alan_Hepburn
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:56 am
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

If I recall, it was in Huntington Beach, Ca...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:45 pm

No where in the owners manual or in OEM literature is towing a trailer identified, but many do it regardless. I think you would get the same answer from an OEM rep regarding this as well.

I would think that for the initial warranty period, a CT and towing of a trailer will not be high on an owner's list of add-ons.

Cheers
Actually, yes there is reference to pulling a trailer and attaching a sidecar in the owners manual:


MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Thank you for finding this. It will still happen, but as with everything, personal choice and decision.

The PO of my '85 LTD pulled a trailer and when I replaced the clutch after 115K Kms (~72K miles) also had to replace the steel plates as well because they were all overheated, blue tinge around the outside of the plate. Towing a trailer might not be the sole reason for this, but did contribute. Selling the trailer, have found I don't need it to tour comfortably.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
thunderwing
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
Contact:

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by thunderwing » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Beautiful bike!



Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry
1987 Yamaha Radian
1983 Gl1100 interstate
1983 GL650 Silverwing
Trucker/ Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

User avatar
thunderwing
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
Contact:

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by thunderwing » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Austin Press Conference Ride and Review.....




Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry
1987 Yamaha Radian
1983 Gl1100 interstate
1983 GL650 Silverwing
Trucker/ Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

User avatar
IdahoHacker
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2015 Road Glide Special

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by IdahoHacker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 am


User avatar
The Bus Driver
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Port Charlotte,Florida
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by The Bus Driver » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:03 am

I just read the newsletter for February and the info you posted regarding the new GoldWing.I was recently visiting my local Honda dealer here in Florida,but they didn't have a 'Wing in stock yet.I was bummed,I wanted to check it out....So I'll just give them a call now and again until a bike shows up.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19035
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am

The Bus Driver wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:03 am
I just read the newsletter for February and the info you posted regarding the new GoldWing.I was recently visiting my local Honda dealer here in Florida,but they didn't have a 'Wing in stock yet.I was bummed,I wanted to check it out....So I'll just give them a call now and again until a bike shows up.
I was talking to one of the Honda reps at the show, and he mentioned that Honda is making sure that every Honda dealer will have at least one new Goldwing on the floor, even working out special financing with the dealers if it is required in order to make it happen.

He also said that they are trying to figure out a way to make sure that every dealer has a new demonstrator GL1800 that can be taken on test rides, but they're still working on insurance restrictions in order for it to happen.

User avatar
Eboness
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Tsawwassen B.C. Canada
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Eboness » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Coop, I believe that the GPS installed on the new 2018 Gold Wing is not a Garmin unit. I read somewhere about this on another wing site. I'm also hearing that Garmin Basecamp does not work for routes to be loaded on the new wing. You might want to do some research to see if I'm right. There is a work around for your map version issue. You said in your post you also have a stand alone Garmin Zumo GPS, if you have life time maps you can use any new version on your 2nd Generation wing. Check out GL1800riders site and there is a very large post on how to do this. I've done it and I am running 2017.3 maps on both my Zumo 550 and my 2013 Level IV wing. Works great, been across Canada and the states with no issues.

Ride safe.

PS - I know just enough to be dangerous with my Mac that I didn't do this map thing myself, got lots of help. From what I've been told it can be done on a Mac but doing this work is easier on a PC.
Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19035
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Eboness wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am
Hi Coop, I believe that the GPS installed on the new 2018 Gold Wing is not a Garmin unit. I read somewhere about this on another wing site. I'm also hearing that Garmin Basecamp does not work for routes to be loaded on the new wing. You might want to do some research to see if I'm right. There is a work around for your map version issue. You said in your post you also have a stand alone Garmin Zumo GPS, if you have life time maps you can use any new version on your 2nd Generation wing. Check out GL1800riders site and there is a very large post on how to do this. I've done it and I am running 2017.3 maps on both my Zumo 550 and my 2013 Level IV wing. Works great, been across Canada and the states with no issues.

Ride safe.

PS - I know just enough to be dangerous with my Mac that I didn't do this map thing myself, got lots of help. From what I've been told it can be done on a Mac but doing this work is easier on a PC.
Correct - the GPS on the new 2018 is manufactured by Harmon, not Garmin. That said, most of these GPS units can read the universal GPX file format.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:40 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Correct - the GPS on the new 2018 is manufactured by Harmon, not Garmin. That said, most of these GPS units can read the universal GPX file format.


I have just finished searching for all Manufacturers of GPS units, and not a single one of them is named "Harmon".

I doubt very seriously there is such a manufacturer...
Attachments




~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19035
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:40 am
WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Correct - the GPS on the new 2018 is manufactured by Harmon, not Garmin. That said, most of these GPS units can read the universal GPX file format.


I have just finished searching for all Manufacturers of GPS units, and not a single one of them is named "Harmon".

I doubt very seriously there is such a manufacturer...
Sorry, my mispelling. It's Harman, with an a - as in Harman Kardon.

User avatar
IdahoHacker
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2015 Road Glide Special

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by IdahoHacker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am

Oh, great. They make the GPS in the Harley infotainment system. Hopefully they started over from scratch.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:36 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 am
AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:40 am
WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Correct - the GPS on the new 2018 is manufactured by Harmon, not Garmin. That said, most of these GPS units can read the universal GPX file format.


I have just finished searching for all Manufacturers of GPS units, and not a single one of them is named "Harmon".

I doubt very seriously there is such a manufacturer...
Sorry, my mispelling. It's Harman, with an a - as in Harman Kardon.
Harman does not show in any list for GPS manufacturers that Google knows about.
Must be an underworld enterprise :roll:

I see that the company "Harman" is owned by Samsung, so I guess they can make anything they darn well please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_Kardon
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

User avatar
Ray&Paula
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 am
Location: Clio, MI
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by Ray&Paula » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:47 am

Has anybody here trailered their 2018 Goldwing yet? If so, could you give us some "How To's?" It appears that the crash bar covers need to be removed...... Thanks, Ray

User avatar
bluthundr31
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 pm
Location: Morgan Hill, CA.
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:15 pm

The new 2018 GL1800 has some VERY cool features, , , but not ONE would make me go out and buy one to replace my current ride, , , , , HOWEVER, , , My first thought when I saw the videos/pictures was,

THAT SUCKER WOULD MAKE AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT POLICE BIKE!!!!

Sleek looking, roomy (enough for a decent radar gun), much improved suspension/maneuverability, fast enough and an engine that is almost bullet-proof , (I just gotta figure how to mount that pistol-grip 12 gauge of mine :lol: )

Watch out BMW, , ,Honda is out to get that motorcycle bid worth millions



Post Reply