I Cut The CORD!!!!! Best $35 spent! BT-S2 1000m Bluetooth Headset Review

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Re: I Cut The CORD!!!!! Best $35 spent! BT-S2 1000m Bluetooth Headset Review

Post by mweddy@gmail.com » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Interesting. I didn't have any trouble ordering, but that was at a price more like $32.99, and extra for tracking and insurance.

rlward56
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 W/Sturgis R18 reverse trike kit

Post by rlward56 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:26 pm

I saw the article about these on the Goldwing Docs main page and decided to order 2 of these from GearBest. As was mentioned by bluthundr31 and others my units took over 3 weeks to arrive, so be prepared to be patient if ordering from GearBest. I charged both units and plugged a speaker/mic into one of them. When I powered it on, there was an annoying continuous machine gun speed clicking in the left earpiece. I tried the speaker/mic from the other package with the same results. When I plugged the speaker/mic into the second unit it worked fine. I deduced that one of the units was defective. I contacted GearBest and received an automatically generated response E-Mail saying they would contact me within 24 hours. As was mentioned by someone else on this thread, I have tried numerous times to contact them to get a resolution to the problem but each attempt is either completely unsuccessful or he response is vague and unhelpful. Bottom line is; I'm happy with the unit that works overall even though I had to jury rig some of the adhesives to get the mic to hold to the helmet. As for the other unit, I'm getting to the point where I think it will be a waste of money. Still, $26.00 for a working BT headset is not bad at all. I would suggest buyers check Amazon (or other similar websites) and more specifically, their return policy for the specific seller they will be dealing with in case they end up with a bad unit like I did. I would not suggest buying directly from GearBest.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm

rlward56 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:26 pm
I saw the article about these on the Goldwing Docs main page and decided to order 2 of these from GearBest. As was mentioned by bluthundr31 and others my units took over 3 weeks to arrive, so be prepared to be patient if ordering from GearBest. I charged both units and plugged a speaker/mic into one of them. When I powered it on, there was an annoying continuous machine gun speed clicking in the left earpiece. I tried the speaker/mic from the other package with the same results. When I plugged the speaker/mic into the second unit it worked fine. I deduced that one of the units was defective. I contacted GearBest and received an automatically generated response E-Mail saying they would contact me within 24 hours. As was mentioned by someone else on this thread, I have tried numerous times to contact them to get a resolution to the problem but each attempt is either completely unsuccessful or he response is vague and unhelpful. Bottom line is; I'm happy with the unit that works overall even though I had to jury rig some of the adhesives to get the mic to hold to the helmet. As for the other unit, I'm getting to the point where I think it will be a waste of money. Still, $26.00 for a working BT headset is not bad at all. I would suggest buyers check Amazon (or other similar websites) and more specifically, their return policy for the specific seller they will be dealing with in case they end up with a bad unit like I did. I would not suggest buying directly from GearBest.Ruby.jpg
Ok, this is about GEAR BEST. Awhile back I bought a Nomu cell phone from Gear Best. It was to be used for a stand alone GPS with a mapping program called Locus. I was told it would also work as a cell phone here in the USA. However it does not ! but that doesn't matter I only wanted it for a GPS which it works fine for. Ok, Somewhere down the line I loaded Kaspersky anti virus. It found a trojan called "Triada" and it is part of the operating system that has been installed by Nomu. It reports everything back to china somewhere. Because it has been installed by Nomu as part of the operating system it cannot be removed unless you root the phone and then figure out how to delete the offending files. I found out this info by Kaspersky and the xda forums. I know nothing about rooting a phone and have been doing some research but not much info on the Nomu. So when I contacted Gear Best about this they basicly said "Tough ****" you bought it and yes we know it comes with the trojan. So to make a long story short I will NEVER buy anything from gear best again, EVER. i will relate this story to everyone I can and hopefully you will to. I had to delete all my contacts and email address from the phone so when I go on line with it via my hot spot from my cell phone nothing gets sent to china. ANYONE WANT TO ROOT THIS PHONE FOR ME AND GET RID OF THE TROJAN ?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 am

That's good to know Ravyn and Rlward56, , , Hopefully your info will help someone else avoid the same trouble you had with Gearbest.

jayhawker
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Limted Edition

Post by jayhawker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am

I purchased the BT-S2 1000 without thinking about the helmet that it would go into and found that I just couldn’t make it work. So if someone here would like to have it I will sell it for $20 or make an offer.

Kevyk
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Post by Kevyk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm

Has anyone actually paired a Sena freewire to one of these BT's yet....?

Cheers

Kev

jayhawker
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Limted Edition

Post by jayhawker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

I watched a video that showed in pairing with an older Sena but I tried it with my buddies Sena's 30K but it didn't take the first time so didn't try again. The 30K is perhaps a little advanced with mesh technology and only one open BT channel.

brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Post by brian.peters » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 pm

I've paired it with a Sena 5 in a helmet from cycle gear. It's thier store brand and a special low cost Sena model. It works but after a couple of tries. What also sucks is if you don't turn the ST off correctly it eases all the pairing.

LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE (sold *sigh*)
1996 1500 Aspencade

HELP with pairing Re: I Cut The CORD!!!!! Best $35 spent! BT-S2 1000m Bluetooth Headset Review

Post by LDodge » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

Hi all--
So I bought one of these and really liked it. It paired with my phone seamlessly and sounded great, so I ordered another one for my wife's helmet and again it paired to my phone seamlessly BUT it will not pair intercom with the first one. I have tried everything I can think of (including reading the directions -- multiple times). Does any one have any "tricks" they learn to get the two units to play nicely with each other? I bought the units so my wife and I can talk when we take our vacation in April so I gotta figure this out quick in case one is defective and I need to replace one / both.
thanks in advance
Lawrence
On the road again ..YIPPIE. Riding with the Green Hornet and Kato :mrgreen:

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't know any "tricks", and I only have one of these, , , , , BUT, , make sure ALL your nearby phones are turned OFF so the new BT can't "find" anything to pair to. THEN turn on the first BT setup and try to pair the "first" one to the "second" one. If NO JOY with that attempt, , restart the process and try to pair the "second" one to the "first".

You might have to "UNPAIR" both units from you phone just to make sure its not interfering with the process to pair with eachother. If you've already tried this with NO JOY, , , , then I got nuttin pal, , , Good luck. I just hope its not a faulty unit. They can be a PITA to return/refund.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Like I said earlier, you get what ya pay for. Cheap is cheap.... :|

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 pm

So I received the two that I ordered. They both work together with intercom and both work with each of our phones. She listens to her music/books, I to mine. Phone calls are good.

Peachy right?

Well, for the life of me I can't seem to go from listening to the phone to intercom. The single press of the orange button results in no action - no switch to intercom mode.

I'm the first to say that I'm doing something wrong, but I've tried several times with re-pairing, of both intercom independent of phone pairing - I'm missing something I'm sure.

I followed the instructions for pairing them to each other - intercom works
I then connected each helmet to their respective phones.
Push the button - no switch to intercom.

Ideas?
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Hmmmm, , ,
Both headsets pair to eachother and intercom works good,, , , each headset pairs to different phones and calls are made and received without any problem.

Have you told one headset to "call" the other headset to make sure that the headsets have paired with the correct phones? Is it possible one headset is "pairing" to the wrong phone. Once you make sure the correct headset is paired to the correct phone, THEN you could switch to the "intercom" mode, , , BUT the other headset probably wont switch from the "paired" phone until THAT headset presses the orange button after the "beep" which lets her know the other unit is calling. I'm just "brain-storming" here, , , just trying to help. I'd be interested to find out what you come up with tho, , , let us know when it works.

Jeep'n Jack
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by Jeep'n Jack » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm

New member here.
I purchased the BT-S2 and am pleased with its functioning except I can only get it to redial the last number that called me. It doesn't activate my phone and wait for me to say Ex: call wife.
What am I missing here?
Have you guys that have this unit been able to call out?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Jeep'n Jack wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm
New member here.
I purchased the BT-S2 and am pleased with its functioning except I can only get it to redial the last number that called me. It doesn't activate my phone and wait for me to say Ex: call wife.
What am I missing here?
From reading the manual, I suspect that is all it is going to do.

https://www.hqtelecom.com/BT-IntercomHeadset-Manual.pdf

~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Jeep'n Jack

Post by Jeep'n Jack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:49 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 pm
Jeep'n Jack wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm
New member here.
What am I missing here?
From reading the manual, I suspect that is all it is going to do.

https://www.hqtelecom.com/BT-IntercomHeadset-Manual.pdf

G8kRj75.png
Yes I agree. I have re-read the instructions numerous times hoping I had missed an instruction. Unfortunatley this device won't work for me. I'm trying to return the pair I purchased recently.
Anyone have other recommendations in the (cheaper than Sena brand) arena. I may end up with Sena but I liked to hear what you have to say.
Thanks!

Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Post by Shawn4245 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am

I am not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do but will explain how I use the headset to make calls. I have my phoned paired with the headset via Bluetooth. I have an iPhone 5s - To make a call, you MUST activate siri. So you have to press the home button on the phone to get her to speak. Then just say, "Siri, call Sally", next you will hear "Calling Sally" and in a few moments you will hear the ringing and the person answer.

When your phone is paired to the helmet and your listening to music, and someone is calling you. The music will stop and you will have a few moments to decide to answer or not. If you choose to do nothing the unit will automatically answer the call, so maybe 10-20 seconds you will hear the caller and you just begin speaking. If you decide to not take the call, just reach up and hit the big button on the side and it will cancel the call. I just let it auto answer.

If you driving down the road listening to music and you reach up and hit the big button, it will trigger the call last number feature and will call that number. I will say, I never use this feature, I hit the button once by accident and it repeatedly called the last number 12+times. I didn't know I hit the button, my the headset kept calling the number. I was traffic and it was a distraction for sure. The person on the other end was hanging up so I could not cancel the redial feature, so it repeated it.

Remember the headset is just an extension of your phone, it has no memory or very little. It is a remote speaker and mic, that is about it, in regards to your phone calling. The phone is doing the work, not the headset.

I still love mine and it has been 6+ months and close to 8,000 miles. I have no issues with it or the other three I have purchased since.

I have positioned the ear pieces so well That I have to turn the volume down to about 1/2 because it can be to loud. That is really impressive seeing how thin the speakers are.

I put a usb port in my upper trunk so I can plug in the helmet while I am at work. I drive about an hour each way, so every four days I put in a good charge, so it is always ready. Works like a dream. Still the best $35 I ever spent on my bike!!!!!! Happy Trails!

Jeep'n Jack

Post by Jeep'n Jack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:28 am

Shawn4245 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am
I am not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do but will explain how I use the headset to make calls. I have my phoned paired with the headset via Bluetooth. I have an iPhone 5s - To make a call, you MUST activate siri. So you have to press the home button on the phone to get her to speak. Then just say, "Siri, call Sally", next you will hear "Calling Sally" and in a few moments you will hear the ringing and the person answer.

When your phone is paired to the helmet and your listening to music, and someone is calling you. The music will stop and you will have a few moments to decide to answer or not. If you choose to do nothing the unit will automatically answer the call, so maybe 10-20 seconds you will hear the caller and you just begin speaking. If you decide to not take the call, just reach up and hit the big button on the side and it will cancel the call. I just let it auto answer.

If you driving down the road listening to music and you reach up and hit the big button, it will trigger the call last number feature and will call that number. I will say, I never use this feature, I hit the button once by accident and it repeatedly called the last number 12+times. I didn't know I hit the button, my the headset kept calling the number. I was traffic and it was a distraction for sure. The person on the other end was hanging up so I could not cancel the redial feature, so it repeated it.

Remember the headset is just an extension of your phone, it has no memory or very little. It is a remote speaker and mic, that is about it, in regards to your phone calling. The phone is doing the work, not the headset.

I still love mine and it has been 6+ months and close to 8,000 miles. I have no issues with it or the other three I have purchased since.

I have positioned the ear pieces so well That I have to turn the volume down to about 1/2 because it can be to loud. That is really impressive seeing how thin the speakers are.

I put a usb port in my upper trunk so I can plug in the helmet while I am at work. I drive about an hour each way, so every four days I put in a good charge, so it is always ready. Works like a dream. Still the best $35 I ever spent on my bike!!!!!! Happy Trails!
Thank you Shawn for your reply.
I figured most BT units were the same. You wan't to make a call just push in the big button hold and walla! Siri comes on. I didn't realize with this particular unit my phone had to be mounted. Certainly the most convenient thing to do is buy a mount for my phone.
Which phone mounts have ya'll used or are using that has worked well for you?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am

The RAM Mount X-Mount is very solid, especially if you use the rubber corner lock on it each time.

https://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip

I have the 2nd one from the left in this picture.

the rubber part of it is not shown in this image. but it is placed over the 4 outer corners, and then lays underneath so that the corners can be pulled up, and over the corner of your phone.

that keeps it snuggled down into the mount.... no way can the phone come out.

some folks don't use the rubber locking strap, I do.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Jeep'n Jack

Post by Jeep'n Jack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am
The RAM Mount X-Mount is very solid, especially if you use the rubber corner lock on it each time.

https://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip

I have the 2nd one from the left in this picture.

the rubber part of it is not shown in this image. but it is placed over the 4 outer corners, and then lays underneath so that the corners can be pulled up, and over the corner of your phone.

that keeps it snuggled down into the mount.... no way can the phone come out.

some folks don't use the rubber locking strap, I do.
Thanks for all your help. You made murky water clear. I ordered the ram xgrip. I already had ram mount items from previous gps left overs so only needed the xgrip.
Thanks again.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 am

Great Information and even GREATER Explanation!!!

The BT-S2 is merely the "conduit" to the phone so it doesn't have the same "data" stored in it. You have to make the phone do the "work", then deal with the "basics" through the BT-S2. It works just like Shawn explained. For the price, its a great addition to your equipment, with lots less bells and whistles than a Sena though.

Be aware of the "disclaimer" on the BT-S2 though, , (in essence) it says that NOT EVERY PHONE WORKS THE SAME, SO SOME FUNCTIONS WILL NOT WORK WITH SOME PHONES. Sounds like most of the Apple phones are fine, and "some" Androids, , but I don't know of a "list" on what works, and what DOESN'T work.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:25 am

UPDATE: Use of the BT-S2 for making/receiving cellphone calls, AND pairing with a Sena-10 intercom unit

My brother came for a visit from Washington state, he landed at SFO and rented a Harley from a shop in S.S.F. He brought his helmet with a Sena-10 headset. I paired my BT-S2 to my cellphone and used "Siri" to call his cellphone. We connected without any problem, the sound quality was very good, and I met him along the freeway as he rode to my place. There was just the smallest "tick" of a lag in the voice on the cellphone conversation but my BT-S2 worked flawlessly and as "advertised". Once we got to my place, we discovered his Sena-10 would not pair with my BT-S2 with the normal procedure he uses. He pulled up the Sena-10 instructions and found that he had to use the "Universal Intercom Configuration" to pair to a NON-SENA intercom headset. My BT-S2 paired on the first try and we decided to go for a 40 mile ride around the dams/reservoirs in the area. Sound quality was great and never missed a beat. The BT-S2 has certain limitations, but for my needs it was the BEST $29.99 I ever spent. We'll be doing a Monterey Bay trip, and probably a Santa Cruz Beach/Boardwalk run too. It'll be fun being able to chat along the way.