Yesterday while getting gas......a

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mooseye
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE Red

Re: Yesterday while getting gas......a

Post by mooseye » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't really want a new HD. You are right, there are so many of them now that all look like cookie cutter style. But I am afraid I can say that about the venerable wing as well.
I love my sportster. It is not real comfortable and it is loud, but it is fun to ride.
I don't have much of the uniform either. No chain wallet, or doo rag, ect. I do have a black leather jacket because it is very warm and also very protective. I don't go in for the club scene, as in MC. I never did understand why those like, for example, hells angles, thought they had to "own" territory. It kind of shows the lack of intelligence of the stereotypical type of people that feel they have to participate in such a club.
My very first street legal bike was a Honda and I loved it too. It was a 1973 Honda CL450, and the only brand new street legal vehicle I have ever owned. As I said earlier, I love the gl too, but it is just to big for my taste. I think it is one of the most dependable bikes ever made. I have heard of them going a half a million miles and still going, like the bunny.
Like a lot of others, I try to respect anyone who loves the two wheeled way of travel.
There is one other thing that I found unsafe about a Goldwing. I once fell asleep behind the handlebars of my gl at 70mph on I-20 in broad daylight. I don't know how far I traveled like that, but it put the fear in me. They are just too comfortable, lol.
feetup wrote:I have been wondering, often out loud what the reason is behind the huge popularity of the HD lately.
I understand the love for the cruiser style machine but the attitude that if it isn't a Harley it doesn't count baffles me. Even the argument that they are American made has faltered with Honda made suspension and off shore fasteners.
I find that there is a faction of HD affectionatos that are just plain good folks, but also find that some are just plain loud, in your face, "look at me" kind of people. They ride a Harley to be different yet they are so much alike that they might as well be wearing uniforms. ( Actually, I guess they do at that!)
I've owned two HDs (I'm a slow learner) but found the technology ancient, the ride poor, the brakes worse, and if I wanted that kind of a ride I should not be spending huge dollars for a new machine. I have an ancient Norton that does all that just as well and doesn't have to make excuses for it.
I find most of the HD's I see really attractive, and I can't help admiring them when I look close, (although they are starting to look all the same to me) but there are so many superb motorcycles to choose from why do the majority think that Milwaukee Iron is the ultimate.

Henry David Thoreau once said: "the ultimate symbol of decadence is the triumph of style over content" In other words, shoes that look good but hurt your feet. The Harley through no fault of it's own seems to have become such a symbol.

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Post by 1grouch2u » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Kiwi2 wrote:Many years ago before getting into GoldWings, I had a bike which had a kickstart and the jeans of the day were bellbottoms or flares, anyway away I went for a ride but had to fill up with petrol so pulled into the garage and put my right foot down only to realize that the kick start lever was now on the inside of my jeans and my leg did not want to touch the ground, over I went :oops: . I very soon learnt, like in the space of 2 seconds to check just where my jeans and kick start were when riding the bike ........ I hasten to add it never happened again. :lol: :lol:
Sometime back in those days I was riding a friends hardtail girder chopper- no front brakes, no footpegs, just highway bars- and a girl on the back--- came to a train crossing where I had to stop going down a hill. Train coming, foot on one brake. Other bell-bottom having leg caught up on the highway bars - looked like the little guy in the raincoat on the tricycle in Laugh In (rermember thatshow?) came to a stop, then immediately fell over on my side (the chick just stood up straddling me and the bike) I don't know, but it must've looked hillarious ! :lol:

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Post by wjnfirearms » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:56 am

You guys likely have heard the statement about opinions and butt holes. It is quite pertinent to motorcycles for sure and usually by those that don't ride or are closed minded. You see the same thing on the road. It's commonplace here for bikers to give a wave or nod to another passing bike, but seldom does it happen from a Harley rider to someone riding another make of bike.

I've never owned a Harley, but I rode one on the job. I went to motor officer training on an FXRP and retired riding a Road King. I liked riding a Hog in it's own right and I do understand why people love them, especially when they became fuel injected. I always subscribed to the mindset also that it's not what you ride, but whether or not you ride, so I never condemned someone for their make preference. You won't stop the prejudice against metric bikes. The argument about American made vehicles in general is a moot one, as was stated already, because there is no anything, bike or car, that is totally American made. They may be built in Milwaukee or wherever, but many of the components are not made here. It was an eye opener to find that the Toyota Tundra is made with 75% American made parts and built here and the Chevrolet Silverado can't make this claim. Bikes are no different.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Post by feetup » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 am

The part of the Harley Davidson that I am resistant to is most certainly not the bike. They are big and beautiful with bags of torque and rumble, and a certain something even the best metric clone can't find.
The problem, for me, is the way they are inextricably linked to the "bad boy" image. Bad boys would only ride a Harley, so if you want to be a bad boy that is the first thing you have to have. The uniform is important, and facial hair helps but without the hog you are just pretending.
I took a course in psychology in university (it seemed like easy credits at the time, even though it had nothing to do with my major) and the "bad boy" thing was covered well. The theory was that the desire to be a bad boy was an excuse for failure to succeed in the mainstream world. "I don't succeed because I don't want to, because I'm a rebel"
Hey, it worked for James Dean. At least for a little while.
I grew up to understand that a certain amount of compliance toward society was necessary to win at this life, and running around making a scene everywhere you go was not the best way to get along with the world. Loud people with loud attitudes on loud bikes don't impress me.

The other phenomenon I have noticed has to do with the attraction that the "loud faction" seems to have for taverns and bars. As I ride about on so many beautiful days, and pass the road houses I can't help but notice that most will have a row of bikes parked in front, and inevitably they will all be Harleys. I have a strict "no alcohol while riding" policy because I know how hard it is to stay alive on a bike, and anything that hinders that is a no-no.
I struggle to see the reason to spend hours in a dark tavern in the middle of a beautiful riding day, and then climb on a big powerful M/C with the wife on the back.....

'Nuff said.

pudd750
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Post by pudd750 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:14 am

themainviking wrote:
cbx4evr wrote:The part that bothers me about your story is that they are breeding.
Yeah, and their attitudes breed with them. It is sad. That said, I rode Harleys for 47 years. They are loud IF you make em loud. They do not come from the factory that way. For those that can ride them, I now say, more power to them. The vibration got too bad for me. As far as power? Well that is entirely another matter. My GL1800 has far more power than my 1344 Harley did stock, but for only a little money, the Harley and the Honda are about equal but one must realize that the Harley weighed just over 600 pounds and the Honda is nearer a thousand. Gearing is another story. The Harley's gearing is like a tractor, while the Honda is like a car. I got nothing bad to say about any motorcycle. I love them all. Always did. I used to joke saying I would rather push my Harley than ride a Honda, but I rode my son's Kawi 750 Vulcan to get parts for my Harley one time, and it was a great ride.
i also have a 1200 sportster my dad left me (yellow and red "ketchup n mustard bike" he called it) and one thing that kept me off it, was listening to the front cylinder and not the back one-(the 2 into 2 cheap stock system puts the front in the ear)- so i was winning bid on a 2 into 1 system on ebay, and its the best thing that bike ever had did to it- ALL the sound exits waaaay back by the taillight, (required a drilling of the already too small little jet with an .020", i think it was) -- the brass removed from the jet was so little the bit didnt hardly have to spin - it pushed thru-- LOTS more grunt and such a pleasant rumble- if anyone wants i can procure a pic or 2, i tink its ok in this "other" section?

pudd750
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Post by pudd750 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 am

wjnfirearms wrote:You guys likely have heard the statement about opinions and butt holes. It is quite pertinent to motorcycles for sure and usually by those that don't ride or are closed minded. You see the same thing on the road. It's commonplace here for bikers to give a wave or nod to another passing bike, but seldom does it happen from a Harley rider to someone riding another make of bike.

I've never owned a Harley, but I rode one on the job. I went to motor officer training on an FXRP and retired riding a Road King. I liked riding a Hog in it's own right and I do understand why people love them, especially when they became fuel injected. I always subscribed to the mindset also that it's not what you ride, but whether or not you ride, so I never condemned someone for their make preference. You won't stop the prejudice against metric bikes. The argument about American made vehicles in general is a moot one, as was stated already, because there is no anything, bike or car, that is totally American made. They may be built in Milwaukee or wherever, but many of the components are not made here. It was an eye opener to find that the Toyota Tundra is made with 75% American made parts and built here and the Chevrolet Silverado can't make this claim. Bikes are no different.
the new cool hand signal is pointing one index finger at the pavement , my meaning of this is "dirty side down, shiny side up" when i go by a bike- that said, when im on my Wing im often not sure which finger the obviously Harly riding person is displaying lol

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 pm

bjatwood wrote:Yesterday I was refueling the Wing at a BP in Omaha. A guy walked by the pump with a mullet and his pants halfway down, he was looking at my bike with his girlfriend/wife and 3 year old daughter in tow. They were dirty and looked to be maybe, homeless. Just passed, the guy turns around and says to his "lady" and I quote here "You know why guys ride Honda's, because they can't handle the power of a Harley" I stopped pumping gas and walked towards him and said, "like you know anything about bikes"! He laughs and just keeps on a walking...
I am not sure why this pissed me off so much, maybe the gall of this idiot.
I don't know.
Just thought I would share this "story" with my fellow Honda riders.
There are lots of folks out there like that.....That's the reason someone invented the patch "you can't fix stupid". I think about that and also realize you can't influence a stupid persons mind in a positive directon. You can't hold a rational conversation with an irrational person.

pudd750
1980 GN400
1979 CB750
1996 1200 Sportster
1961 T120R sold
1975 Norton sold
1972 Moto Guzzi 750
1976 Goldwing sold
1972 SL125 sold
Honda Fat Cat
RD350 sold

Post by pudd750 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am

HAH i can reply here lol - i have a 20 year history of squatting beside of a $50 britbike hoping for a 5 mile ride that afternoon if the gods are smiling upon me , and found it wasnt worth it (head banging lessons ala monte python) , my knees (and Peter Egans, hes complained) were not happy with me any more with the genre- so i moved from marque to marque ignoring the country of origin, still looking for "cool", but dependable is getting more of a lean-to - a original red n white xs650 yamaha did it for a while, an original dark green Honda 450 would still do it, an aermacchi sprint did it for a few years , etc etc -
yesterday i was lamenting to a asian and brit owning co-rider about not having installed my fork boots from a BSA 441 on my wing, (always wear protection) and he said out of the blue "screw that p.o.s."- and topped it off with "i have never given a s--t about a wing and i will never give a s--t about a wing" didnt tee me off enough to want to swat him,- a few minutes later i got even saying "so what possessed you to start buying all the ugliest, least desirable Triumphs (from the early seventies)"? (solid junk 650 motorized bicycle) (which he did, bought all the oil frame triumphs he could find ) - 45" seat height, and i felt better- hes a good friend/idiot

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm

GW-"other"-vs Harley? Harley- great bike- heavy, overpriced, top heavy, rough riding, noisy, expensive to maintain, ANYTHING with H-D on it costs 2x-3x as much. Friends ride them. Most aren't snobs- those that are-I ask what they do for their Harley at 40-50k miles- usually they say "overhaul the top end" replace some bearings. I tell them we change the oil and maybe the air filters. They pout. I ask how many of hem have 250,000 miles on their bikes and NO overhaul? (cricket, cricket, cricket).
Gotta admire the brand loyalty- not many folks get GOLDWING tattooed on their a** and feel the need to brag about it. But, maybe we don't NEED to have a Honda or GW tattoo to prove something.

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 am

Fatboy46 wrote:GW-"other"-vs Harley? Harley- great bike- heavy, overpriced, top heavy, rough riding, noisy, expensive to maintain, ANYTHING with H-D on it costs 2x-3x as much. Friends ride them. Most aren't snobs- those that are-I ask what they do for their Harley at 40-50k miles- usually they say "overhaul the top end" replace some bearings. I tell them we change the oil and maybe the air filters. They pout. I ask how many of hem have 250,000 miles on their bikes and NO overhaul? (cricket, cricket, cricket).
Gotta admire the brand loyalty- not many folks get GOLDWING tattooed on their a** and feel the need to brag about it. But, maybe we don't NEED to have a Honda or GW tattoo to prove something.
Is "brand loyalty" why the nation is not moving forward?

Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.