Darkside Tech: Using Car Tires on a Motorcycle Rim

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: Darkside Tech: Using Car Tires on a Motorcycle Rim

Post by minimac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am

Go back and re-read the darksider boards. See what the consensus uses and the results. Not every tire that fits will work well. Not every tire is good for your particular bike. On my GL1500, I love the Austone but the slight additional height isn't an issue for me. On the 1800s, a lot of people like their run flats-but all run flats are not created equal. Some people have had great results running a winter style tire, but again, not all of them will work well. See what works well and how they're used. A tire that works well for touring may not be the best choice for handling.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Quite right minimac.
I have to add something not many may know. Not only do you need to look for rounded edge car tires you "NEED TO" look for deep tread in that rounded edge. Micro Sipe [MS] tires as they wear loose those micro treads and that can make for slippery turns.
Here's a few examples below.

Granted the new and used tires are different, just showing
what it looks like when the MS are gone.

Normal bike tires don't have MS, they're almost like no tread slicks.
Bike tire mfg's assume you're ONLY riding in nice sunny weather. :roll: NOT! :twisted:

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Why would less tread create slippery tires?

Tread on tires serves one purpose and one purpose only: to evacuate water. Apart from snow conditions, which is a different discussion.

The more rubber that is on the road, the better grip you have. Tread takes away from the rubber on the road, so it REDUCES grip.

Ever looked at the tires on a racing car or motorcycle? They need the absolute maximum amount of grip possible, and the tires have NO tread on them at all. The only time you'll see tread on racing tires is when they are going to race in the rain - or, like some racing series, when the cars are getting dangerously fast, the racing series will purposefully want to REDUCE the grip of the tires to slow the cars down, so they mandate that tires with tread be used.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:53 pm

WingAdmin, without going into extreme explanation, I believe that is what I wrote.

I summed it all up with the last two lines.
"Normal bike tires don't have MS, they're almost like no tread slicks.
Bike tire mfg's assume you're ONLY riding in nice sunny weather. :roll: NOT! :twisted:"

I for one refuse to ride even moderately fast in the rain on treadless or nearly so tires. I did that once (inadvertently) back in the 70's, nearly killed me and my young family. You can get away with hydroplaning on 4 wheels, not to well on two. I know you know that.

.. .. .. or is this Yank Floyd's chain day?
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS
2017 Tesla S P100D

Post by GoldWingRev » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 am

After doing a LOT of soul searching, I think that for my big Alaska trip next year I’m running a RFT on the rear (I can only find a Goodyear in the size I need), and a tubed A/T on the front. The front rim I’ll be changing when I get to the Dalton Highway, but the RFT I’ll run the whole way. I am doing this only for the added safety it adds. If the Bridgestone DriveGuard came in a size for the GL1500 I would take that.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm

GoldWingRev wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 am
After doing a LOT of soul searching, I think that for my big Alaska trip next year I’m running a RFT on the rear (I can only find a Goodyear in the size I need), and a tubed A/T on the front. The front rim I’ll be changing when I get to the Dalton Highway, but the RFT I’ll run the whole way. I am doing this only for the added safety it adds. If the Bridgestone DriveGuard came in a size for the GL1500 I would take that.
In your profile, you pull a trailer, have you thought of taking 2 spare tires?
Could mean the difference of 2-3 hours changeover vrs 3-7 days layover.
This might be overkill but, maybe call your end destination if there are tires for your bike in stock. I've read where riders rip up tread rather quick on those Alaska bound trips. :shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 am

The tires on my 1500 are about done, and I think I'm going to give an Austone Taxi tire a try for the rear this time. If I don't like it, I'll pull it off and go back to my beloved Avons.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS
2017 Tesla S P100D

Post by GoldWingRev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I tried the Austone, it was on one of the last in the country....according to the friend who gave it to me.

Yeah. I was actually going to go with my Bridgestone Excedra in the front and bring the A/T with me. The rear is such a pain in the ass to do.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 am
The tires on my 1500 are about done, and I think I'm going to give an Austone Taxi tire a try for the rear this time. If I don't like it, I'll pull it off and go back to my beloved Avons.
*IF* you're more of a sport rider you might not like it. Tho it gives more lean clearance the slight Off-Tracking in turns will squiggle the bike a little. If you adjust and it doesn't bother you, you're good to go.
That squiggle is what I felt on my first Austone right away but since I'm a tour rider, EH.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm

IF in fact Wing Admin tries the Austone, look and see what others are running for inflation. The sweet spot for mine is 48# solo, #50 two up. It took some playing, but I could really zero in on it when it got up to 46#. Although those numbers are higher than you're used to, remember that it will take that much air to keep the tread flat. Too little, and it actually becomes concave.Also, because of the silicates(for long wear) used in auto tires, the "rubber" compound is actually softer than most
bike tires. When you get the air pressure right, you will hardly notice the difference in your turn in effort.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Even Road and Track has an opinion:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... torcycles/

"In fact, today's automotive tires are so good, it's possible to use them in ways that were never intended." quote R&T
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Like the article. Open minded and unbiased.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Deaf4Jesus
Motorcycle: 1983 GL100 Interstate

Post by Deaf4Jesus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:45 pm

I have a friend who rear tires are car tires. He's a certified Goldwing mechanic and once he tried it he'll never go back. We went on a long winding trip through Indiana forest. His bike handled super well. I kept down shifting, up shifting, braking, accelerating, and becoming tired after two hours. I rode behind him. Only saw his brake lights twice. His riding skill on a car tire made my riding skills look like a beginner.

His 1800 left my 1100 way behind. I was giving it all I had but the winding curves wore me out. He said he kept his mostly in 4th gear and his rear tire gave me lots of grip in the curves. Someday, when I trade in my 1100 for an 1800 and it needed a rear tire, I'll get a car tire.

Keith

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 am

I'll add my two cents to this.
I'm currently running a Nokian 195 65 light truck tire on the rear of my GL 1500.
(I picked that tire because it was exactly the same diameter, 26 inches, as the
bike tire that came on the bike.)
For the first thousand miles or so, it felt very squirreley at highway speeds.
Once I got the carcass broken in, that feeling went away. The tire is rock
solid at all speeds, corners GREAT!...and holds like glue in the rain.
So far, I have about 8,000 miles on it, and it barely shows any wear.
(by the way, I run 36 pounds of air in the Nokian)

That said.....
I have a spare wheel in my shop ready to go whenever that Nokian
wears out. (could be quite a while yet!)
The spare wheel has a Austone Taxi tire mounted and ready to go.
At the rate I'm going, it could be another season or two until
I get to try the Austone.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

cruisercurt
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing GL1500

Post by cruisercurt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

So I guess the owners manual caution against using car tires is just a conspiracy with the manufactures of motorcycle tires? I would be concerned about how they handle on curves. Anyone have feedback on that?

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 pm

cruisercurt wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm
So I guess the owners manual caution against using car tires is just a conspiracy with the manufactures of motorcycle tires? I would be concerned about how they handle on curves. Anyone have feedback on that?
I'm not a CD (Curve Demon) but I can attest to the Austone holding the road quite well at speed in a semi-severe accident induced bike & trailer wobble.
The Austone STAYED on the rim, the trailer & homemade hitch kept the bike from rolling over...and over?
Even at severe lean angles while the trailer was forcing the bikes rear opposite what I wanted the bike to do (opposing input to stop the wobble),...the Austone held its grip on the road. OH!!! same for the rear bike tire up front.

Is that kinda the info you're look'n for?

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 pm
Why would less tread create slippery tires?

Ever looked at the tires on a racing car or motorcycle? They need the absolute maximum amount of grip possible, and the tires have NO tread on them at all.
Have you ever tried riding on a road racing slick in the rain? Even road racers use treaded tires in the rain, and they don't drag race on a wet track.

That is what is being talked about here with tread design.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King