How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
themccrady
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Re: How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter

Post by themccrady » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Great Article,

I made a PDF of it to read on my tablet while attempting this rebuild. I will try and get some pictures while I do it. if you would like a copy of the pdf, send me a message and I will send it to you. It wont let me upload to the board for some reason.

Jeff

MaxRide
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by MaxRide » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello everybody!

Well, the cheapo Walmart battery that came with my bike died during Christmas break and I replaced the lead acid battery with a nicer $80ish gel cell from the auto parts store.

Still, I would get the occasional "false starts" where the starter clutch failed to engage and the starter would whirl at high RPM before slowing down and eventually catching, which usually allowed a proper start the next try. I KNEW the starter was on it's last leg, and in traditional procrastination style I waited until three days ago to pony up the $100 for a new starter. It was supposed to arrive via Prime Shipping this afternoon, but I needed to leave the house at 6:30 AM for a class...It was around 35 degrees here and the engine cranked and cranked and cranked for around 10 seconds (Yes, 10 seconds!) before smoke POURED out of the battery compartment. I shut down the bike and investigated only to find the positive post on my 1 month old battery had MELTED half away which has also most likely soldered the positive lead screw to the post. I have no clue why a fuse or relay didn't melt first, but that's just what happened.

Thankfully I still own my Honda Rebel as a backup...which has a completely dead battery! The Rebel hasn't been fired up in 6 months and it was VERY cold so I set the choke, kicked it into second gear and pushed and pushed and pushed....NOTHING! That's when I realized the ignition was off....DOH! I turned the key, gave it another gentle push and she fired right up! You'll never see a Rebel down for lack of a battery...

I left class early, came home and installed the starter. It was a HUGE HASSLE as the forward bolt is nearly impossible to reach. For me the trick was using a bungee cord to hold the shifter up out of the way, which gave me just enough room to get a rachet behind the shifter and one painful click at a time the bolt finally came out! As others have said, the O-Ring on the new replacement starters are too big and it's probably impossible to get it in with that O-ring, thanks to the internet I knew that in advance and didn't try for too long before giving up. I reused the O-Ring off the old starter (Which sits flush with the starter, not protruding) and eventually got the new one in. Getting the forward bolt back in was just as painful and tedious as getting it out, but I suppose that depends on what tools you have available. I'm sure someone somewhere owns a mythical rachet with just the right number of teeth and a 10mm socket that's just the right length...but that guy wasn't me.

Final action report, it's like night and day. The new starter (Chinese) cranks the hell out of the engine, the starts are faster due to reduced current and that's one less thing that's going to break for my 32 year old GL1100I.

-------------------------

Summary: My only regret is ignoring the problem until it got out of hand. Murphy got me good this morning, severely damaging my new battery a mere 5 hours before the new starter arrived. Lesson learned. If your starts are weak, or the bike seems to be really pulling current...or your old starter is suspect in any way I'd highly recommend you simply replace it. In a way, I was lucky in that I had a backup bike for the day and didn't need to be towed back (Unlike my neighbors sport bike, which arrived home via flatbed towtruck this morning at 4 AM). In the grand scheme of things, it's not exactly a lot of money for a new starter versus the costs you'll incur WHEN it fails 20 miles from home. Then you'll still need to buy a new starter anyhow, and will be without your bike until it shows up and you get it installed.

Ride safe guys! I'll see you on the road!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 pm

MaxRide wrote:Still, I would get the occasional "false starts" where the starter clutch failed to engage and the starter would whirl at high RPM before slowing down and eventually catching, which usually allowed a proper start the next try. I KNEW the starter was on it's last leg, and in traditional procrastination style I waited until three days ago to pony up the $100 for a new starter.
The problem you're describing has nothing to do with the starter, and everything to do with the sprag clutch. It's a very common problem, and is easy to fix. It's been covered many times before:

viewtopic.php?t=14084#p70266

viewtopic.php?t=15061

viewtopic.php?t=1335

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 pm

newomij wrote:The 'grease' has me confused. I have a general multipurpose grease, another grease that came with a small grease gun, and some Moly 60 Paste. I need to repack the bearing and add grease as shown in the final step before reassembly. I read one response that said using two different greases would work. Does the bearing require a particular grease for repacking it? Or will one grease suffice for the bearing and the cogs? Which grease is BEST to use?
Any quality general purpose grease will do. If you have Moly on hand, go ahead and use it - but that's an expensive use of Moly!

newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: WOW!!

Post by newomij » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Finally got the brushes (only three days but seemed longer because of my anxiousness to get it done) and got the starter put back together and got it back on the bike. Even though I read all the commentaries about the improved starting performance, I was completely blown away by how much faster the starter cranked and how quickly the engine fired up. Once more I praise God for Goldwing Docs and the so many contributors that help all us DIYers.

Artswaff
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL 1100 Std.

Post by Artswaff » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:22 pm

I found your informative article on this matter. I read a number of post and replys but not all of them. I'm having a very difficult time lining the sprocket and starter up for install. It seems to be a matter of the sprocket not being centered in the opening.....it want to roll over to the left of center. This leave me thinking that there has to be a solution which hasn't come to me yet..........days try this. I've tried, reluctantly, tilting the bike over past kickstand angle using a floor Jack. No luck. I'm close to drilling a hole in back of the housing to pry from behind to line this thing up. I'm desperate......I may donate the entire collection to a charity; extra engine, complete bike with saddle bags, windscreen, uddles and gobs of chrome, engine covers, luggage rack...etc. Am I sounding desperate? Wanting it out of my hair folks!

stephenricci
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
1980 GL1100 Interstate (New Project)
1983 GL1100 Naked
1985 Honda Sabre 700
1966 Honda CB77 Super Hawk (Another Project)
1988 Yamaha Virago 1100 Gold Edition
2014 Kawi KLR650 New Edition
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 ATV

Post by stephenricci » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Artswarff, are you sure that you are holding your tongue right? Really, maybe try putting a little high temp grease behind the sprocket. That may hold in place long enough to keep it centered. I may be wrong, and often am, but it may be worth a shot. Don't give up and good luck.
IYAAYAS
I have two favorite bikes; the one I'm riding today and the one I can't

themccrady
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by themccrady » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:33 pm

I used a very strong magnet and lined it up with my finger. Took a couple of tries, but it worked out!

Artswaff

Post by Artswaff » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks, Stephen and themc! I was on the right track then......just not powerful enough magnet. Attempt #123,456!
Attachments

Love that power gear whine!
Love that power gear whine!

stephenricci
1983 GL1100 Naked
1985 Honda Sabre 700
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV

Post by stephenricci » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 pm

I tend to try to keep magnets away from motorcycle engines. You never know what could happen to your stator if you mess up, as I usually do. Anyway, good luck and nice Naked by the way?
IYAAYAS

Artswaff

Post by Artswaff » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:59 pm

stephenricci wrote:I tend to try to keep magnets away from motorcycle engines. You never know what could happen to your stator if you mess up, as I usually do. Anyway, good luck and nice Naked by the way?
........nice Naked! Thinking outside the fairing!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:55 pm

stephenricci wrote:I tend to try to keep magnets away from motorcycle engines. You never know what could happen to your stator if you mess up, as I usually do. Anyway, good luck and nice Naked by the way?
Nothing will happen. Incidentally, your stator is full of magnets. That's what makes it work!

stephenricci
1983 GL1100 Naked
1985 Honda Sabre 700
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV

Post by stephenricci » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for keeping me straight WingAdmin.
IYAAYAS

fuzzygpz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Post by fuzzygpz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Tip for installing the starter into the cog gear and chain.
To center the gear and keep it from moving around, once you remove the starter, put some nice sticky grease on either side of the sprocket/chain, this will keep it in place.

i just redid my starter with the bike on the center stand and this worked well. Ive used this trick on other make bikes with similar setups.

warhead_71
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by warhead_71 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Just pulled the starter from my 78 GL1000. Had to drop the left header, remove the shifter, and remove the rear header stud... just wasn't enough room to clear the spline otherwise. Starter was full of crud as expected. I absolutely could not remove the armature... my "windings" around the case has extra wires connecting each pole. Maybe mine is aftermarket. But there wasn't enough slack to move them out of the way and they were soldered in. Instead i just filled the case with rubbing alcohol and sloshed it around and let it soak a few minutes... poured it out and blew air through to dry it out, then hosed it good with marine dielectric spray. Put it back together and she fired right up! HUGE improvement. Thanks for the tutorial.
78 GL1000 Goldwing "Superhawk" - album
previous bikes: 84 V65 Magna | 83 V45 Magna | 81 CB650 | 68 CL350 | 69 CB350 | 76 CB360T | 73, 74, 76 CB750K

Subvetma1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1I Interstate

Post by Subvetma1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm

how long should this entire process take?

Sparky4017
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing aspencade 1100
95 BMW 750 (The Flying Brick)
84 goldwing aspencade 1200 SOLD

Post by Sparky4017 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Well let me start by saying don't buy a $70 new starter off eBay when I bought my 83 Aspencade about 3 months ago the starter was cooked. So I bought one off eBay bad choice the first one I got locked up sent it back for a exchange starter 2 did the same thing got the 3rd worked till I got to the gas station. Push starting a goldwing is no fun so I took the starter apart to find the problem it was in the gear reduction the gears on the replacement starter are not heat treated and they brake locking up the starter. So I cleaned up my stock reduction put it on the new armature problem resolved.

Subvetma1

Post by Subvetma1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for the advice. just want to know how many man hours this takes. i can't do the work myself so i am trying to find out how many hours it would take for my tech to do the work. If I need a new starter, who should I buy one from?

Sparky4017

Post by Sparky4017 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 am

On my 83 with floor boards and toe and heal shifter two bolts on the starter 8mm socket and one cable push the shifter down slide the starter back out on the engine case it should come out nose first from the top. Wipe the starter off on the gear end the end with the splined end there will be some markings make sure they line up when you go back together. Take the two Long bolts out of the starter and remove the gear end then pull the end cap off to expose the brushes. Took me about a hour and a half for the job I have a couple of extra starters I could post some pictures if you like it's really not hard.

Subvetma1

Post by Subvetma1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for the info, pics of the starter would be great. How much do you want for them?

Sparky4017

Post by Sparky4017 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:03 am

I don't want to sell them but I will post pictures tonight

Larrdc
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100i 1978 Honda CX500

Post by Larrdc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

I took my starter off my GL1100i this week because it would just click and not turn over. Prior to this, it would start fine when cold and turn over slowly when hot. When I opened it up, there was lots of carbon powder in the rear cap. But I didn't find any shaft washers on either end of the armature. Were some starters made that didn't have the washers? I have new brushes for it but wanted to know about the washers before I reassemble it. Maybe someone replaced the brushes before me and didn't reinstall the washers?

Larrdc
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100i 1978 Honda CX500

Post by Larrdc » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

After inspecting all the parts of the starter, there are no letters or numbers stamped or molded into any of them. I'm assuming that this is not a Honda starter , but an aftermarket starter. Would that explain why there are no armature washers?

Kentzler pride
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

I have a problem, i broke the screw that you hook the positive wire to, my question is how can I fix it fast

Post by Kentzler pride » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 pm

My problem is the little screw that sticks out the side of the starter on the inside is disconnected from those wires on the inside. How can I fix it fast. Please help

yvanttt
Motorcycle: GL1200, Interstate, 1984

Post by yvanttt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Here some feedback regarding the starter rebuild on my GL1200 1984 Interstate.

1- After removing the power connector and the 2 holding screws you need to rotate the starter so the mounting tabs faces away from the bike.
2- Then the rear of the starter can go down and the gear clears the engine when you tip the front up, then you can remove the starter.
3- Also i found a source for the parts and item included in the kit fitted. The only item i did not try to change is the small bearing as you need some force to take it out and it is way too close to the commutators for my liking. I did not risk damaging those.

And i was left with a spare nut and fibre washers for the power connector.

Part supplier: total-power-parts on Ebay, their kit part number: 6991-140

Great site and tutorial. So for this bike year you do not need to remove the exhaust pipe and stud. Only the shifter lever.
Again the secret to get it out is to rotate it till the 2 mounting tabs faces toward you.