Aftermarket GPS Suggestions

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
davidprej
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS Airbag

Re: Aftermarket GPS Suggestions

Post by davidprej » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:52 pm

You don't need a data plan or cell connection for a smartphone to function as a GPS. This is a common misconception. I have a friends old Samsung 4s Active (waterproof) that he gave me. No data plan, no phone connectivity at all. I just use is as my GPS.

You do need an app that allows you to download the map to the phone over wifi. CoPilot and Locus are two of the leading apps from what I can tell. Also, iPhones don't allow you to download trips planned on your computer, whereas Android phones do. There are lengthy threads about this on Advrider forums and elsewhere I'm sure.

I have a $800 Zumo 590 w/ locking Ram mount that sits in my closet. I agree with the previous poster, there is no reason to buy a Garmin or Tom Tom type GPS.

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:12 pm

I now know for sure using the installed unit on my bike can lead to problems. Planned out a great ride on Honda Trip planner and downloaded it to my GPS. Because I had multiple via points within a relatively small area I noted that it would at times try to skip a planned via point cause it was trying to get me to end the fastest or at least that was the way it felt. In the future I will have to divide up my route into smaller segments to keep this from occurring. One app I have used on my IPhone is the MotionX-GPS it uses satellite tracking so if you are off the grid you still know where you are but I haven't used to actually navigate from point A to B but it does have that function. So far as fuel stops you really need to try and plan that out ahead of time. Last summer I planned a trip to Pikes Peak, Colorado from Fort Worth, TX and I didn't do this. I went through Amarillo at just under a half tank and I ran out of gas about ten miles short of the next gas station. That day sucked because I was by myself.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:19 am

Off to the Isle of Man TT today.
Taking no chances using sat nav and route sheet, got to find that ferry on time.

Sid
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:32 pm

LittleGoldy wrote:For the LIFE of me I simply cannot understand WHY anyone would be so interested in "buying" another useless tool. Everyone of you have a smart phone (Yes/No?) and for a FREE APP with Zero cost, WAZE (my preferable choice due largely to many ALERTS i.e. Animals on or near roadway, POLICE REPORTED AHEAD (LUV That one) or perhaps Pothole reported ahead and just a "few" of the most useful ones for we the 2 wheel community. AND your Smart Device is BLUETOOTH Capable meaning constant info in that earhole inside your helmet (ATTGATT , WHERE THE HECK IS THAT THUMBS UP EMOTI) :? :o

If you dont like the interactive mode you do not HAVE TO report anything,but, most cagers do and you too will find them useful if not almost annoying at times. Google Maps on the other hand may or may not always link to Waze's features to alert you to those pesky boyz in blue with their Kodak's employed to further the (IMHO) extensive taxation of the general public, ( i know they perform a useful service to keep the streets safer, BUT, I'm just a rebel at heart....LOL) :D

WAZE or Google Maps is FREE, UPDATES CONSTANTLY ( READ AS FREE ) and also Tracks your trip,location in memory without a live networking signal (also SAT linking) and finds the signal as soon as one is available should you be in the Great White North (Read as western less densely populated areas that do not support enough revenue generation to even put up a Wireless Devices Signal Tower). And even some smaller eastern coastal communities (notably eastern NC near the coast, personal experience). :arrow: :P
I can give you two reasons:

1. I don't really want to hang my $700 smart phone, containing tons of personal information, on my dash, where it can get rained on, bumped out of its mount onto the ground, or any of many other things. I much prefer to have my $100 GPS sitting there, that if it gets lost/ruined, I can simply replace for another $100.

2. Waze is a very functional app, but it is one of the most intrusive. It's free because it mines your phone for data and sends it to the owner of the app (Google) for them to resell to advertisers and...who else? Here's what Waze collects:
  • Your GPS location and driving routes. Of course, some of this is needed to deliver the services described, however it does not need to be stored indefinitely. Waze’s privacy policy states that this information will be used to “create a detailed location history of all the journeys you have made”. The question, of course, is “for whom, exactly?”.
  • Your home, work, and favorite destinations (as you assign within the application).
  • All of your chat messages with other Waze users
  • All queries you make to Waze
  • All of your calendar information
  • All of the phone numbers stored on your device’s phone book; in other words, selling out all of your friends to Google.
  • Your own phone number
  • Any personally identifiable information you add in your profile (such as your name, gender, photos). Some fields are specifically made mandatory in order to use Waze.
  • Information from your other social network accounts (explained later). Really?
  • Information from all mobile devices you’ve ever linked to your account
  • Meta-data about you: how long you use Waze, information about your device, web pages that you visit within Waze, everything that you read in Waze, advertisements that you view or click on, your communications with other users and third parties, your IP address and domain, and the geolocation of the device you log in from.
  • Any personal information that comes out of emails you use to contact them; for example, if you sign your emails with a signature line containing your phone number and place of business, Waze gets to use that information.
Have a look at this article: Waze: Google's New Spying Tool

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Post by flogger » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:45 am

WingAdmin wrote:Waze is a very functional app, but it is one of the most intrusive. It's free because it mines your phone for data and sends it to the owner of the app (Google) for them to resell to advertisers and...who else? Here's what Waze collects... Have a look at this article: Waze: Google's New Spying Tool
EXACTLY, people don't realize how much "free" apps cost them. Nothing is free! Just think, if some company is going through the time and costs to develop the app, then set up the support to take care of it, and to update it... marketing, advertising, etc- they do all this and make it FREE just for your benefit? You need to what what you download and give permissions to on your smartphones...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

davidprej

Post by davidprej » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:29 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
I can give you two reasons:

1. I don't really want to hang my $700 smart phone, containing tons of personal information, on my dash, where it can get rained on, bumped out of its mount onto the ground, or any of many other things. I much prefer to have my $100 GPS sitting there, that if it gets lost/ruined, I can simply replace for another $100.

2. Waze is a very functional app, but it is one of the most intrusive. It's free because it mines your phone for data and sends it to the owner of the app (Google) for them to resell to advertisers and...who else? Here's what Waze collects:
  • Your GPS location and driving routes. Of course, some of this is needed to deliver the services described, however it does not need to be stored indefinitely. Waze’s privacy policy states that this information will be used to “create a detailed location history of all the journeys you have made”. The question, of course, is “for whom, exactly?”.
  • Your home, work, and favorite destinations (as you assign within the application).
  • All of your chat messages with other Waze users
  • All queries you make to Waze
  • All of your calendar information
  • All of the phone numbers stored on your device’s phone book; in other words, selling out all of your friends to Google.
  • Your own phone number
  • Any personally identifiable information you add in your profile (such as your name, gender, photos). Some fields are specifically made mandatory in order to use Waze.
  • Information from your other social network accounts (explained later). Really?
  • Information from all mobile devices you’ve ever linked to your account
  • Meta-data about you: how long you use Waze, information about your device, web pages that you visit within Waze, everything that you read in Waze, advertisements that you view or click on, your communications with other users and third parties, your IP address and domain, and the geolocation of the device you log in from.
  • Any personal information that comes out of emails you use to contact them; for example, if you sign your emails with a signature line containing your phone number and place of business, Waze gets to use that information.
Have a look at this article: Waze: Google's New Spying Tool
Regarding your first reason, that makes sense, but just get an old phone that your not using anymore. I got a Samsung Galaxy 4s from a friend for free. So it's free vs. $100. I don't know about Waze, but if you are using a phone only for GPS with no plan/cell connection, there ain't nothing being transferred to anyone - except of course the directions to you.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 am

Who says craftmanship is dead?
Attachments

Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 am

Ye Olde Sate Nave. I wonder if it's steam powered.

Sid

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am

LittleGoldy wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:04 am
For the LIFE of me I simply cannot understand WHY anyone would be so interested in "buying" another useless tool. Everyone of you have a smart phone (Yes/No?) and for a FREE APP with Zero cost, WAZE (my preferable choice due largely to many ALERTS i.e. Animals on or near roadway, POLICE REPORTED AHEAD (LUV That one) or perhaps Pothole reported ahead and just a "few" of the most useful ones for we the 2 wheel community. AND your Smart Device is BLUETOOTH Capable meaning constant info in that earhole inside your helmet (ATTGATT , WHERE THE HECK IS THAT THUMBS UP EMOTI) :? :o

Thus, I for one simply cannot understand mans desire to light $100 bills on fire for mere pleasure, at this lackluster Gold Wing Navigation feature ( or any other 300-900 $$$ GPS Device) when the technology exists for FREE !!!

My $.02 worth.............Enjoy
Hmmm. About that lighting $100 bills on fire: How does your phone bill compare to mine? I pay $32 a month for unlimited service for a non-smart phone. Most smart phones are burdened with an over $100/month service plan. Seems like one may be burning bills on different things. And let's not talk about that fixing a broken screen bit. I'd bet 25% of all smart phones in use have a broken screen.

Just a thought.

Cosmo

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Paulcf nailed it - in Canada, it's not practical to try to use a cell phone as a GPS for traveling. We have very restrictive plans, and some of the most expensive cell & data use costs in the entire world.

So, for us, a standalone GPS is the answer.

On the bike, I'm still using a Garmin 760 from many years ago. Unlike any other current reasonably-priced models, it has a built-in MP3 player and, more importantly, an "audio out" jack. I use it, plugged into the bike's stereo, to put GPS audio directions through to my helmet headsets. I'm not a fan of using any display screen, on any device, while riding a motorcycle. Catastrophic things can happen very, very quickly while riding, and even a moment's inattentiveness can have disastrous results.

Conversely, paying full attention to the road while still getting the audio directions is much, much safer. After using my Garmin this way for several years, I almost never find a need to consult the display screen. If I do, I pull over and stop, well off the road, and consult the screen.

I have a Glare Stomper over the screen (so when I pull over, I can actually see it) & a ZipLock bag to cover the unit if (when) it rains.

As for music, its onboard MP3 player is excellent - simple & intuitive to use, and has an SD card for storage. The 64 Gb one I use has thousands of songs, and the GPS's MP3 player will also display pictures & videos as well.

Believe it or not, these units are still available - around the $100 mark for an excellent used one or, for the really well-heeled, brand new for $50 USD ( :o :o :o ) from Portland, OR. Replacement battery kits are also available, and very cheap.

davidprej

Post by davidprej » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Mh434 - Many are under the misconception that a smart phone's GPS has something to do with one's cell phone plan or connection to cell phone reception while traveling. It. Does. Not. Somehow the notion that a cellphone needs to be connected to a service provider in order to function will not die.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm

While the GPS chip will function without cell signals, the mapping software (unless it’s an expensive, standalone app, with all of the North America maps stored on the phone) needs cell signals to update constantly as you travel along.

I currently have 3 high-end, expensive GPS apps on my iPhone (including the 2 latest versions of CoPilot) and all are hopeless compared to a bargain-level Garmin GPS. Not accurate, not intuitive, and not user-friendly. If that weren’t the case, I wouldn’t bother with all my Garmnis.

davidprej

Post by davidprej » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Regarding needing a cell signal to have access to maps, that's just not true. There are many apps (including Google maps) that let you download the maps you need to your phone over wifi before you leave so that service is not needed while you are on your trip.

Advrider has many threads discussing using cell phones as GPS. Many people buy a rugged phone on Ebay for $100 or less to use as a dedicated GPS. No need to pay a monthly charge.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 pm

jeffcosmo wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am
And let's not talk about that fixing a broken screen bit. I'd bet 25% of all smart phones in use have a broken screen.
Cosmo
they do?

I saw that at a Diesel Repair shop yesterday, it was still in service.... :D
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 am

Inbryne wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 am
I have given up on GPS units. I now use my IPhone with a TomTom app.
Which app? The GO Mobile one?