Filter change with every oil change?

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
pumpkinhead10a
Motorcycle: 1991 Honda Goldwing gl 1500se with 51,000 mi

Re: Filter change with every oil change?

Post by pumpkinhead10a » Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm

John right again...lol

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 am

I'd chime in this oil thread (about my still OEM except 2 sets of timing belts on my '91 GL1500 with almost 250,000 hauling a heavy 1/2 to 3/4 ton trailer about 1/10 of that mileage...) but don't care to be backstabbed again.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 am
I'd chime in this oil thread (about my still OEM except 2 sets of timing belts on my '91 GL1500 with almost 250,000 hauling a heavy 1/2 to 3/4 ton trailer about 1/10 of that mileage...) but don't care to be backstabbed again.

:D :D hmmm, back stabbing, don't know anything about that....
My trailer has been loaded pretty well also, and pulled thru some hard tight twisties and never complained.

Never put it on the scales, but it was a lot heavier per side, than I could lift.
hmmm, what's this got to do with the oil filter? dunno, I always use a new one.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:35 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 am

FM, I hate to think you took all that ribbing over the oil thing too seriously. I can assure you, if I made a comment, which I think I did, it was intended as fun, sarcasm, jerking your chain, take your pick. No malice intended. I assume that was the case with at least 90% of the others. "We love you, man !"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 pm

BlueWaterHooker...
I offered up info, as was in my Signature line and in a different thread asked if anyone tried it. Was a purely honest and straightforward question with a poll.
First post IRKED me. You know if you read it and my rebuttal to it. Others posted and it seemed to just snowball into a backstabbing Malay. That makes me wonder, why should I bother to offer up info if that's the KRAP I'll get from several people?
CURRENTLY in that thread, my info pix have been remove, reasons given in PM. Understandable but the ODD thing is, to this day other folks remote hosted pix are still up, just not my pix. This is shades of 'The Other Wing Site" where someone deleted ALL my pix, including my photo album (I think it was called). The culprits there are down to 2 probable people.
ANYWAYS... OIL FILTER.
High mileage and heavy loads will acid up the oil quicker, due to ring blow-by. Motor & drive-line wears quicker via this extra strain. Hopefully you're diligent enough to drive like an old man, or in other words, sanely.
Oil filters can clog up that much faster under these extra strained conditions since pressure and side loads are greater creating oil suspended particles. Light weight oil and/or low oil pressure can't cope with these extra strains so heavier/thicker oils are needed. That's partly why diesel oils work well in our Wings, again but, it's due to motor oil servicing the trans. Personally, that's a bad design but understand why.
NOTE on oil weight and my all year riding. Believe it or not I use the Delo 15w40 all year. But when the temps drop way down, I'll add "X" percentage of MMO to thin it for those really cold days.

OK, ALL THAT SAID.
I agree with a few other posts here that once a motor passes it break-in period the wear subsides, I've seen this in the truck fleets I was employed at. Proper oil & filter changes procures the designed planned life of engines, exceptions are mechanical failures. The extra diligent care by the owners can further extend its life.

I ride with heavy loads which shortens lifespans of engines & drive-lines but I've hit 250K miles on my Wing and it's still all OEM except 2 T-Belt changes (@121K & @243K). MY normal oil changes are around 2.5K to 5K, it all depends on the acids (taste) and suspended dirt in the oil. For you carcinogen folks out there, I've been tasting oil for 50 some years... only issue I have is blood clots. Totally unrelated to carcinogens. Lately I'm beginning to think my 1991 GoldWing seat did this DVT to me (chat that in a different thread, not here).

My oil filters are usually every other oil change "OR" whenever my "oil in fingerprint test" shows dark matter held in the fingerprint lands. I've never bothered to open up a 20 micron oil filter after it's used so I have no idea how plugged up it is.

SORRY for this rather long and partly unrelated post to oil filters, but hey, I threw it all in since it's all related in one form or another. :? Call it a rant if you wish, can care less, for I'm nearing F'it all because of a few.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 SE

Post by curtm » Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am

I like it, you tell em
love the old school tricks
Curt

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 am

FM-usa is 100% right about loading engines - either pulling a heavy load, or lugging the engine in too low a gear increases piston blow-by, and that stuff is not good for your oil. The oil is designed to hold in suspension some of that blow-by (that's essentially what turns oil black - carbon from blow-by), but it can only hold so much.

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 am

"SORRY for this rather long and partly unrelated post to oil filters"

why sorry!

these explanation are quite clear and right!
i have seen exactly what you are describing myself ,having worked 33 years + in that environnement myself,
from the guy who used to wash trucks and cars to the foreman of the team at the end.

Oil filters and the oil are the life line of the engine,what ever engine!

you need to evaluate the effort that you are asking at the machine .

gervais

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 am

gervais wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 am
"SORRY for this rather long and partly unrelated post to oil filters"

why sorry!

these explanation are quite clear and right!
... ...
gervais
Clear explanations, yes but some I wrote had nothing to do with the OP. But felt the need to clarify other things.
BACK TO THE FILTERS...
I forgot when & where but sorta recently talking to a brand name oil filter representative (possibly_Fram_😩_), I mentioned the 'taste oil' thing. He said he heard of it and related that their tests showed it was better to change the filter at 1/2 the oil life. He also said filters are cheaper than full oil change. So hummm... I wondered, he pushing for double filter sales or is there merit? Mind you, he didn't outright say Fram filter. If he did, I wouldn't be posting this tidbit.

I agree with a partial plugged filter, filters smaller particles but when is it partially plugged and when does one know when the high pressure valve opens for unfiltered oil to circulate?

gervais

Post by gervais » Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 am

Well
you should buy 4-5 brands of filter and just "open" them and check the filter inside,
the leight of the paper also and if you have the "right eyes in the good place" the filtration of these papers.

i remember many many years,decades ago we did it on a diesel clinoc that we add:

we add Purolator,Donalson,Fram and OEM's too,,i will not answer which one was the best but it cleared my mind about oil filters and hydraulic filters that are much more criticals when you speak about "quality of filtration in micron's" .

any how ,great discussion,

dont try to save money on oil filters,oil quality,,sequence of oil change because thats the life of your engine,,,and peace of mind.

i have been using Syntech oil for more than 40 years ,in all sort of engines,gaz and diesel and NEVER regret it at all.

If only we could find a list of Compatible Syntech oil for GoldWing from 84 and more ????

it exist somewhere???

gervais

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

There were 2 different internet people that I know of, who did the 'can opener' with pictures on oil filters. They were different styles of info but both were very informative. They're old now but still one can learn what to look out for.

Fram (supposedly) upgraded their oil filters but users opinions still say they're cheaply made & un-trustful.

I have on stock about a dozen oil filters for the 1500. The lower cost 'PureONE' and the 'Pure Gold' (old name, now BOSS?).
"On sale, will buy"... parody of (Have gun, will travel) ;)

PureONE, aka: Purolator Classic, oil filters are 97.5 percent efficient (10-20 microns) and Purolator PureONE filters are 99.9 percent% efficient (no micron size offered), but they are highest efficiency ratings on the market. (info ~2012-ish)

gervais

Post by gervais » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 pm

we used for years Purolator filters,,way better than Fram.

In the diesel world,Donalson were excellent too

Gervais

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 SE

Post by curtm » Wed May 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Purolator filters all day long, Fram, rated one of the worst on the market, But good marketing
Curt

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Specifically, Purolator Pure One # PL 14610 (longer/more media surface) or # PL 14612 (shorter/less media). I've only ever used the PL 14610. It fits easily enough, and has the added benefit of more filtering area. The Pure One's have the upgraded back flow valve, higher quality filtering media, and quality metal construction over the standard Purolator.
Mobil1 (M1-110) and Bosch (3323) also make good filters, but the Purolators are easy enough to find in my area.
Why Purolator saw fit to discontinue the textured yellow-ish "can" that they made for years, I'll never know. The newer version is a blue, untextured finish. Not as nice, but the insides are the same.

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:44 am

Remind me please:

the oil for the GL1200 need to be JASO ,,
MA ,,

iam confused because in my Yamaha Rhino i cannot put any oil in it too because of the special friction clutch.

thanks

gervais

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 pm
Specifically, Purolator Pure One # PL 14610 (longer/more media surface) or # PL 14612 (shorter/less media). I've only ever used the PL 14610. It fits easily enough, and has the added benefit of more filtering area. The Pure One's have the upgraded back flow valve, higher quality filtering media, and quality metal construction over the standard Purolator.
Mobil1 (M1-110) and Bosch (3323) also make good filters, but the Purolators are easy enough to find in my area.
Why Purolator saw fit to discontinue the textured yellow-ish "can" that they made for years, I'll never know. The newer version is a blue, untextured finish. Not as nice, but the insides are the same.
Purolator 14610 is all I stock, once I found out years ago, it fit. Oddly the smaller number is a larger can.
Same price, 20%(?) more/longer protection? EZ DUH for me.

PureGold, I read on one of their sites that textured can cost more in production steps and pigment.
1 coat of blue or gold is exactly the same steps. Possibly the slightly thicker textured gold too longer to dry? :roll:
It was GREAT to turn tight and remove by hand. Wish they'd have kept it.

My first bike, which I never got running, was Honda's DreamCycle. It didn't have an oil filter, it utilized the centrifugal effect to throw particles against the oil case's outer wall. Shame that concept wasn't kept on our Wings along with a filter.