Some observations...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Some observations...

Post by Mh434 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:21 pm

First, my '97 SE has been parked since October, as the weather in this part of the Pacific Northwet isn't conducive to riding during the winter. When I parked it, I added some Seafoam & some fuel stabilizer to the tank, connected a fully-automatic battery maintainer, put it on center stand, and said goodbye for the winter.

Fast forward to today, when I bought insurance for it ( $$$:shock: :shock:$$$ ) and hauled it out into the sun for its inaugural wash & tune up.

First, it fired up after about 2 seconds of cranking. Full choke, and away she went, smooth and strong. Checked all the lights, display, etc., and all was working as advertised.

I put the radio shelter cover on, and set to washing her up. Got her sparkling clean, and it was time to take the radio shelter off. Every time I do that, I curse at that %&%^$%* thing - it's a terrible chore to get it off, and I always think I'm going to break it. This time, I poked around for awhile...and found this:

How about that? After all this time, I never knew there was a push button release (the black rectangular button, dead center in the 3rd picture) for the shelter cover. Now, I'm betting there are lots of people here who knew about it, but I'm also betting there are some, like me, who didn't have a clue. Well, it's there, and it makes removing the cover a breeze. Open the gas door, push the button, and lift the cover off. Who knew??!? I figured I'd add a couple of pics here, in case anyone else was wondering about this issue (feature?).

After washing the bike & drying it with a chamois, I left it for awhile so the remaining drips could find their way out. After a couple of hours, I went back out to take it for its first ride & fresh fuel.

Noticed that the LCD display was now completely blank, except for the clock, which was out by more than 90 minutes (it had been dead on earlier in the day). Once I started the bike, the LCD went completely blank - even the clock display was gone. I rode off anyway, and inside a couple of minutes, the warning lights all flashed on & off, and the LCD display came back to normal function (though the clock was still an hour and a half slow). I gassed up, re-set the clock, and off I went.

As always on my first ride of the season, it struck me how strong, smooth & effortless the acceleration of a GL1500 is. One twist of the wrist & you're in the next time zone - it's like you had an enormous bungie cord with a grappling hook on the end, and you tossed it out so it hooked onto the back of a passing bus. You have GOT to love these things!!! :D

So...I'm back on the road for another season, and I'm older & wiser (as far as the shelter cover is concerned, anyway!).

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Some observations...

Post by Stew » Sat May 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Lol, I couldn't help but chuckle reading this. The first couple of times taking that radio cover off I fought with it too but I did figure out that release button before too long.

Keeping the original cover functional when doing a complete radio swap will be a challenge since that catch and release mechanism is built into the darn radio instead of the surrounding shelter.

You have a pretty sharp looking 'Wing there!
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 21,617 miles and counting as of May 17, 2018!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 am

When I wash my bike and car for that matter, I use a leaf blower to dry it, works great, just don't point it at the speakers on the bike
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 am

Do you have an owners manual? That little tidbit of information is in there. :D

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 am

I do have a manual, but I had never considered consulting it about this issue :roll:

Live & learn? :lol:

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 pm

:D
When we train new international FSE’s (field service engineers) to our analyzers, first thing they learn is RTFM.
That is highlighted so many times they will never forget.
It means Read The Fu...ng Manual :D

So when they contact for support, we may answer RTFM when solution is in the manual (usually is).
A joke what is remembered...