Want To Buy A 91 Interstate And Need Advice/ Thanks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
VA91
Motorcycle: '05 Road King/ 23K mi.
'07 Kaw 1600 Nomad Bagger/ 12K mi.

Want To Buy A 91 Interstate And Need Advice/ Thanks

Post by VA91 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 am

Hello folks. Am looking at a 91 GW 1500 I in another state. It's 3,500 out the door. It has 38 K miles on it and looks like it's been garaged. Any who, is this a decent price and on a bike that old, will I need to do a bunch of stuff at that age? Would like to ride it 350 mi. to get it home. Thanks for the input, will now try to post a pic.
Attachments

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I {SOLD} 1996 honda goldwing SE

Re: Want To Buy A 91 Interstate And Need Advice/ Thanks

Post by thompsoj22 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:18 pm

looks like a beautiful bike, you wont know what it needs until it's yours! the age of these bikes works against them but they are still touring worldwide!. does it have any maint records? it is possible with the low miles that it has never been touched mechanically so your looking at 27 year old cam belts/clutch and brake/ fluid/coolant. there is no way to advise you other than to say these bikes have always been the absolute best you could buy for a touring bike for every given year. if you want to add owning/riding a goldwing to your rocking chair memories it is likely to be one of the best bikes you will ever own."Go get it!" during the test ride shift into 4th gear and roll the power on hard and than decelerate just as hard using the engine to decelerate and see if you can get it to pop out of gear. floor boards encourage some riders to hold heel pressure on the shifter and torch the shift fork for that gear. search all the post's for that year while your on the road to go get it! your test ride should be no less than 30 min,slow speed, highway speed, hard braking, 10 min idle at op temp and verify fans/eng temp are all good, check every switch on the bars for correct function. geeze ok im finished!

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 pm

$3500 for an interstate sounds high to me, maybe if it was a nice aspencade or SE.

VA91

Post by VA91 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Great responses. Totally thought about the age. Watched repair videos for belts and carbs. Have gone from would never have one, to I want this cream puff so bad I can taste it. But it isn't going to happen. Age is a factor. On the outside I think we all agree someone took pride in this bike and cared for the outside well. There are no mechanical records to be had on it, it was a trade in. Not very happy about that. And..I did try to bring the price down another notch, but they said they could sell it for 3,500 all day long. No doubt that is why it has sat at the dealership since Fall. But, hats off and respects for you Wingers. I have total new respect for the excellence and durability of these rides. So...thanks for the great input...and...keep it between the trees. ;) Edit: Addition...now that I am out of the picture, the bike is at Schaeffer HD in Orwigsburg. Somebody run and get it if you want. :!:

saywen63
Motorcycle: 96 1500 aspencade

Post by saywen63 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:20 am

If i were you , i would keep looking for an Aspencade or an SE . Then you get all the bells and whistles !

Have a friend with a Interstate , no reverse , stereo , air compresser and if im not mistaken , no cruise controll . ( correct me if im wrong guys )

Just having reverse is a blessing at certain times ...........

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Take a pass on it VA91. There are lots of later year Aspencade and SE's out there for a comparable price.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 pm

That one is the "identical twin" to my beast, , , , GREAT RIDE!!!

$3500 out the door is a bit high, even though the mileage is well below what I would expect.

The '91 Interstate has a small AM/FM Kenwood stereo in the left fairing pocket with "controls" on the left handlebar. The radio and speakers are not very good, compared to what is available in today's technology.

As others have mentioned, it has none of the "comfort features" that the Aspy or SE can offer. Yep, there is no reverse or cruise control, or any of the other "features" mentioned. It made a GREAT "commute" bike, but falls short for a "touring" bike.

I would push hard to get the price closer to $2k, (2.5k would be my "MAX"), which might make the "out-of-state" issue easier to swallow.

Good luck

VA91

Post by VA91 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 am

Yeah, I went back and forth, but have passed on it. Up around 4K to rent a truck to haul it to the house, then let the maintenance begin. I'm sure overall it may be a cream puff, but who knows how dry rotted hoses may be. One would have to dig deep to see under the "Tupperware" to see any issues. Don't see them letting one do that at the H dealer; so it would be "as is." Without provenance or history, it's a gamble. I will say this, the upper handle brake line and clutch line look new. So call 570-366-0143 and ask for Bob if you want to add this to your stable. It's in Orwigsburg, PA about 50 west of Allen Town. It was fun dreaming for awhile, but I do have two other scoots to keep me busy and tie up my money. But I'm an old guy and would have enjoyed the peace and quiet; but I don't need another money pit. Thanks for all the feedback. Hope one of you folks might take this on and chime on this thread what a dream puff it turned out to be at 38K miles. That's a little over a thousand miles a year; who knows what stretches it sat for.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 am

Think that was a good decision. Don't like seeing heel toe shifters on any goldwing. I looked at a 97 today that had one. It was a cool bike "in its day" I'm sure but seeing that shifter made my mind up. 1500's can be worth the effort to fix up but would be more worthwhile if it has been an SE imho. No harm in lookin.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset