First ride to work, first attempted homicide, against me

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500

First ride to work, first attempted homicide, against me

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am

So, this mornings 1st ever ride to work on the bike was scarier then it needed to be...….

3rd traffic light intersection from the office, 4 lanes on each side.
I approach the light at 40ish mph which has gone green, the cars all made it across the intersection that were sitting at the light.

As I enter the large intersection, from my right, I see a fast moving black suv approaching.

It does not slow down and barrels through the red light at 50+ mph. :o
All sides are 45mph here.

I see it way before I get anywhere close to danger and slow way down, just entering the intersection.

The driver realizes mid intersection what they have done, and slams on their brakes.

They skid and slow some, then continue on as the opposing side from me begins to go straight across blowing their horns at him.

So, 2 seconds sooner and I would be a grease stain right now.

He was going fast, even in my normal suv it would have been a bad accident, he was at full speed when he came into the intersection.

Livin on the edge.

:evil:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: First ride to work, first attempted homicide, against me

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:31 am

Yup, I've had very similar circumstances. Good on you for staying alert and stopping the accident chain before it became an accident.

Large, multi-lane intersections are supremely dangerous. Intersections (more or less) clear of traffic, with a green light, are very dangerous. Intersections with people waiting to turn left across in front of you are unpredictable and dangerous. Always keep a look out at intersections, and expect the other drivers to do the most idiotic, dangerous thing possible.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:31 am
Yup, I've had very similar circumstances. Good on you for staying alert and stopping the accident chain before it became an accident.

Large, multi-lane intersections are supremely dangerous. Intersections (more or less) clear of traffic, with a green light, are very dangerous. Intersections with people waiting to turn left across in front of you are unpredictable and dangerous. Always keep a look out at intersections, and expect the other drivers to do the most idiotic, dangerous thing possible.
Yes indeed WingAdmin,

People are stupid at times. Seems to happen more when I'm on 2 wheels lol.

Always approach intersections with extreme prejudice, they are never safe.

Seems most fatal accidents, especially motorcycles are in intersections.

Always planning ahead and watching everything.

Stay alert, stay alive, ride to survive!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Sounds like you did good. You were looking for it and spotted it early. Way to ride safe :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Sounds like you did good. You were looking for it and spotted it early. Way to ride safe :D
Thanks or the props brother winger.

Wish I never had to write this story, but that's life on 2 wheels some times :roll:

Today was a good day.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am

Good heads up riding!
Sometimes I think I have perfected invisibility when I'm on my wing. Even with all the extra lights!

Note to self: Focus on the "Wimpy Horn" issue.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am
Good heads up riding!
Sometimes I think I have perfected invisibility when I'm on my wing. Even with all the extra lights!

Note to self: Focus on the "Wimpy Horn" issue.
Thanks very much.

Im sorry to hear your invisible. I have not really had that issue that I know of.

Hopefully it stays that way!

Thanks,
NOVAwing

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Sometimes I think I have perfected invisibility when I'm on my wing...
Haha, it's kinda funny when you phrase it like that :lol: The thing I always think when I'm riding, and I think I read it here, is that everyone's out to get me, including the deer.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 22,072 miles and counting as of June 14, 2018!

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Stew wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:49 pm
Fiberthree wrote:
Sometimes I think I have perfected invisibility when I'm on my wing...
Haha, it's kinda funny when you phrase it like that :lol: The thing I always think when I'm riding, and I think I read it here, is that everyone's out to get me, including the deer.
Lol.

Yes indeed, when riding a 2 wheeler, everything is out to get you!

Stay alert, stay alive, ride to survive!

NOVAwing

madmtnmotors
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing

Post by madmtnmotors » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Had that happen to me once, mine was a much closer call. After that I had to train myself to look for the red light runner regardless of the vehicle I am driving so that it has become an "automatic" part of entering every intersection. This way it is not just something I have to do when on the bike, it is a programmed reflex at all times.

Glad you were able to avoid a calamity. Continue to ride defensively!
Wilbur

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80! :ugeek:

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 am

Parked my bike for a while over a week ago after two exact same incidents within fifteen minutes of each other.

Two lanes with boulevard, I’m in the left lane. Pickup in the right lane. I stay behind and in his mirror so he sees me. If he slows down in his lane, I slow down or move to next to him or ahead of him so I’m in his periferal field.

Two times a car approaches the boulevard from the right, slows down a little, but doesn’t stop, figures they’ll pull out and not slow the pickup down by quickly pulling out and into the left lane, my lane. Both times I saw it happening and was able to slow down. The first time, the pickup drove up next to the car and verbally assaulted them-lol. His hand was out the window and he was giving it to them pointing back at me.

I guess in this situation I am hidden from view. I’m just realizing it’s impossible to keep yourself in view of stupid at all times. If I had not foreseen this, if I was busy checking my rear view or distracted in any way, it would have been a bad incident. I’m frustrated having a bike that likes to scoot, but has to keep slowing down because of cager mentality. You keep a safe following distance in case of debris, and the car in the other lane cuts you off, you slow down, slow down again, slow down again.

Sorry for the rant. Stay safe.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 pm

There’s all kinds of stupid out there.

Speaking of homicide, a young man of 36y died at my hospital a couple nights ago from a gun shot to the back. He, on a motorcycle, got into an argument over a parking spot in an apartment complex. The biker was leaving after visiting a friend and at some point kicked the car door of the person he was arguing with before riding off. He was followed and shot in the back while moving.

He died over a parking spot. The suspect is still out there and hasn’t been identified yet.

All kinds of stupid!

Be careful out there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

I won't ride to work anymore and it is getting to the point I am afraid to anytime. Over the past year I have been rear ended numerous times in my car while stopped in traffic. I had someone leave there lane and smash the side of my car. Every time I think what if I were on my motorcycle? I walked away being in my car but on a motorcycle these would have been serious accidents. Not all were people texting some just said I am do sorry I just wasn't paying attention.

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 pm

golden highway wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm
Not all were people texting some just said I am do sorry I just wasn't paying attention.
That can be directly attributed to modern technology - people are no longer being taught how to drive; the cars are doing most of the work for them so they feel they can concentrate on more important things, like texting and daydreaming. Couple that with the way incidents are handled today - if there's no injuries the police won't even make a report, and people know that nothing will happen to them for a simple fender-bender anymore. I don't know what the solution is, but people need to take responsibility for their actions and pay the consequences for their poor decisions...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes but that isn't going to happen anytime soon