Rain Gear

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Spaceman7015
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100
2008Honda Goldwing GL1800

Rain Gear

Post by Spaceman7015 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Hello All,
Just upgraded from GL1100 to GL1800, I would like forum input on rain gear please. There are a lot of option wanted to hear from you all.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rain Gear

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:19 pm

I have been using the Olympia Horizon rain gear for some years now (including this past weekend), and it has never let me down. It's light, breathable, easy to put on, and I stay 100% dry with it.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm

I've been back riding for almost a year now after a 4-5 years hiatus. My previous suit was by First Gear and was okay. I don't recall ever getting really soaked from a ride, but didn't really ride that much in the rain. It was not a dedicated rain suit, but rather one of those all-season suits with a rain liner and thermal liner. I like the flexibility of outfits like this. I also had a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and pants with rain liners that worked pretty well and minimal rain leakage when riding in light showers. Still avoiding moderate to heavy rains like the plague.

When we got our Wing last summer I needed a new outfit because I had gotten rid of the old one. I tried a Tourmaster Air 4.0 jacket. It was okay, but wish I'd looked around a bit more. It was shorter in the waist than I ultimately was looking for, but didn't realize it yet when I bought it. I was still looking for riding pants go with the Tourmaster jacket when I came across Bilt brand gear at Cycle Gear.

I ended up getting the Explorer Air Adventure jacket and pants on sale for about half regular price. They seem to be on sale a lot, which is good because I wouldn't have bought them at their listed full price. So far, I've ridden in light to moderate rain and stayed dry. No long trips in rain yet, only 20 miles to and from work round trip mostly highway.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-exp ... ure-jacket

I still like the flexibility of this type of outfit. I also think my ability to stay dry so far also has a great deal to do with the Wing itself. While moving, it offers quite a bit of protection from rain itself. My daughter and I were caught out in a light shower without any rain gear or jackets (only street clothes and helmets) and stayed pretty dry except for when stopped at a couple of lights.

I just remembered my wife and I rode through a bit of light rain on our way back from Hot Springs, AR, a couple months ago. I stayed dry in my outfit and she did in my old Tourmaster with the rain and thermal liner and plain old rain pants by Bilt. The pants were bought last minute just for the trip just in case. They're cheapos, but worked well enough on that trip. They probably won't last long, but my wife hasn't decided on anything more reliable or sturdy yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 am

I used to buy more expensive rain gear, but found that Frogg Toggs give better protection from the rain at far less cost. If I do happen to rough them up, they are easily and more cheaply replaced. When I bought them, they were about $80 for the set in a bag. Pants and hooded jacket. I bought two sets, one for myself and one for my wife. Still have them, they are still viable and I use them. Last year proved their worth as I ended up riding in the rain for about two and a half months.

They, however, are not high visibility like the Olympias that WingAdmin likes.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:41 am

I carry a set of Nelson Rigg rain gear. Great protection, light weight, and you don't get wet from the inside-out. Not all that expensive, either. I've had this gear for over six years now(and haven't "outgrown" it!) The cheap-o Chinese rainsuits, even though I considered them a one use throwaway, were totally useless, with the pants easily tearing and getting ripped up in the wind.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:59 am

A lot of my gear (especially my main cold-weather jacket) are either supposed to be waterproof, or have waterproof liners (including my mesh gear). However, this never made sense to me - the outer layer gets soaking wet, and the only thing keeping you from getting wet is the thin waterproof liner. If it's cold out, you will freeze, as your saturated gear is cooled by the wind. Crazy!

I much prefer rain-resistant everyday gear that will survive a quick shower, and then I use my Olympia rain gear as a waterproof outer layer for serious rain. That keeps me completely dry, and warm.

Same goes for gloves - truly waterproofing leather or textile in a way that it stays waterproof is almost impossible. Therefore most gloves that purport to be waterproof actually have a "Gore-Tex" (or Hipura or other material) liner inside the glove that stops the wetness from getting to your hands - but the glove gets absolutely soaking wet.

In practice, this NEVER works. I have NEVER come across a glove that is usable as an everyday glove, provides decent get-off protection, AND is truly waterproof. When I'm heading into a trip with rain forecast, I carry a couple "waterproof" gloves, and switch when one pair gets soaked.

Boots can and usually are waterproof, but I find that a lot of waterproof riding boots, after a couple of years, will lose their water-proofness, and you can get damp feet.

Still searching for the perfect rain gloves...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 am

C-dub wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm
I was still looking for riding pants go with the Tourmaster jacket when I came across Bilt brand gear at Cycle Gear.

I ended up getting the Explorer Air Adventure jacket and pants on sale for about half regular price. They seem to be on sale a lot, which is good because I wouldn't have bought them at their listed full price.
I too have tried some of Cycle Gear's house brand "BILT" gear. It's sold kind of like Harbor Freight stuff - a large amount of the Bilt gear is on sale for half price (or close to it) most of the time, and if it isn't, wait a week or two until it is. I like their cheap riding boots, and consider them almost disposable they're so cheap - but they're comfortable.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:59 am
Same goes for gloves - truly waterproofing leather or textile in a way that it stays waterproof is almost impossible. Therefore most gloves that purport to be waterproof actually have a "Gore-Tex" (or Hipura or other material) liner inside the glove that stops the wetness from getting to your hands - but the glove gets absolutely soaking wet.

In practice, this NEVER works. I have NEVER come across a glove that is usable as an everyday glove, provides decent get-off protection, AND is truly waterproof. When I'm heading into a trip with rain forecast, I carry a couple "waterproof" gloves, and switch when one pair gets soaked.

Boots can and usually are waterproof, but I find that a lot of waterproof riding boots, after a couple of years, will lose their water-proofness, and you can get damp feet.

Still searching for the perfect rain gloves...
Gloves, yeah, me too. Although, I recently acquired a soon to be extinct pair of Bilt Fusion waterproof gloves. I think they're being discontinued and I figured at their clearance price were worth a shot. I haven't ridden in the rain yet to try them out, so we'll see.

Boots are another issue for me. I bought an inexpensive pair of TCX X-ride waterproof boots last year. They've held up really well for 9k+ miles so far at their price point with the only real wear coming from scraping them in a few turns. They have been comfortable when riding, but unfortunately not when walking or standing around, which I do quite a bit of in the Patriot Guard Riders. I'm also thinking about when me and the Mrs. start getting more adventuresome on longer trips. I'm considering a pair of the Forma Adventure Boots. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/for ... tIQAvD_BwE
I wouldn't order these online without being able to try them on. So, I'll wait until I can find a place to do that and maybe get them if I like them. Do any of ya'll where boots that go up high like these or do ya'll stick with lower boots?

Also, while checking out the Olympia Horizon stuff, those look pretty cool. They are much more packable than the Bilt outfit I have. The liners are stowable, but otherwise you pretty much gotta wear the jacket and pants. Not a big deal since they are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures without the liners. I am curious about your Olympia setup. What size do you have? Size to fit without cold gear or larger size to go over cold gear? I think you've mentioned or at least hinted that you prefer the outer layer to be waterproof, so I'm guessing that the Olympia stuff is mainly for warmer temps to stay dry, but I don't recall if you're an ATGATT kind of rider. If you are, then do you stow the Olympia gear and get it out and put it on over ??? to stay dry when rain appear ahead?

I'm finding that I'm not an ATGATT rider. The Mrs. and I went for breakfast and a short 100 mile ride this morning and the only "gear" was boots and helmets. The rest was jeans and pull-over shirts.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am

C-dub wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 pm
I wouldn't order these online without being able to try them on. So, I'll wait until I can find a place to do that and maybe get them if I like them. Do any of ya'll where boots that go up high like these or do ya'll stick with lower boots?

Also, while checking out the Olympia Horizon stuff, those look pretty cool. They are much more packable than the Bilt outfit I have. The liners are stowable, but otherwise you pretty much gotta wear the jacket and pants. Not a big deal since they are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures without the liners. I am curious about your Olympia setup. What size do you have? Size to fit without cold gear or larger size to go over cold gear? I think you've mentioned or at least hinted that you prefer the outer layer to be waterproof, so I'm guessing that the Olympia stuff is mainly for warmer temps to stay dry, but I don't recall if you're an ATGATT kind of rider. If you are, then do you stow the Olympia gear and get it out and put it on over ??? to stay dry when rain appear ahead?

I'm finding that I'm not an ATGATT rider. The Mrs. and I went for breakfast and a short 100 mile ride this morning and the only "gear" was boots and helmets. The rest was jeans and pull-over shirts.
My boots aren't quite as high - they cover the fronts of my shins, but not quite as high as those.

And yes...being able to keep my skin and walk away relatively unhurt (few broken bones) from a crash (pickup turning left in front of me) that I shouldn't have walked away from, I'm a great believer in ATGATT. I would have left a great deal of skin on the road during my extended slide after I hit the ground.

The Olympia rain gear is sized to go OVER your gear - it provides no protection other than rain, and certainly won't keep you warm. So I keep my jacket and pants on, and easily slip the rain gear over top of it.

Spaceman7015

Post by Spaceman7015 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:11 am

Funny I haven't seen Frogg Togg comments.....?

old biker
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

Post by old biker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am

I have used the same set of frogg toggs for about 5 years the best I have had yet.Just my 2 cents worth.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Spaceman7015 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:11 am
Funny I haven't seen Frogg Togg comments.....?
The Main Viking did.

Spaceman7015

Post by Spaceman7015 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:18 pm

My apologies to Main Viking, Frogg Togg it is, will update when I get to use.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 am

L.L. Bean Gore-Tex packable (folds back into its own zipper pocket).

BTW. I had a pair of Olympia gloves that ripped apart after two months. Not impressed. Firstgear has always done well for me.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate, blue/silver

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Spaceman7015

Post by Spaceman7015 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks for the input, I live in Florida and lightweight is going to be important. Frogg Togg claims a little breathability.....much needed when a rain shower and 85 degrees........

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Andy Cote wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 am
L.L. Bean Gore-Tex packable (folds back into its own zipper pocket).

BTW. I had a pair of Olympia gloves that ripped apart after two months. Not impressed. Firstgear has always done well for me.
I have been similarly unimpressed with Olympia gloves. I have a lot of their other gear (jackets, pants) but all of their gloves that I have looked at were garbage.