Choosing the best LED driving lights?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ZTatZAU
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Choosing the best LED driving lights?

Post by ZTatZAU » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:54 pm

I am looking for some help in choosing the best LED driving lights to replace my current 55w halogen lamps. I was happy to have found a very enlightening Product Review on this topic by the GoldwingDocs Administrator and posted my current thoughts and questions at the end of that thread.

Being not so sure that the Product Reviews are viewed by many all that regularly, I thought I'd also post this invitation to anyone interested to view my post in that thread at the following link...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34369&p=265275#p265275

... in the hopes that I may get a few replies before pulling the trigger on some new lamps yet today while SuperBrightLEDs Father's Day sale is still going on!

Thanks much for any replies! ZT

ZTatZAU

Bottom Line Questions

Post by ZTatZAU » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 am

I've had only one reply from Wingsconsin over in the Product Review thread! It was short and sweet. He, like the WingAdmin who initially reviewed them, installed the SuperBrightLED 2" - 10W - 900 lumens, light pods and they look like they lit up the road pretty well with additional light.

But the bottom line questions that I still have are... (and hopefully I'll get some additional replies here...)

1) Would a pair of 2800 lumens, or even a less powerful pair of the 1600 lumens Auxiliary Driving Lights, that I'm considering, be too bright to use without blinding on-coming traffic?

2) Would a matched pair of auxiliary driving lights with a 30 degree beam angle, (whatever the lumens), be too wide of a beam to use without blinding on-coming traffic? That is, if I want to stay with a matched pair of lights, should I only be considering lights with a 10 degree beam angle?

Any and all replies are appreciated

ZT

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Choosing the best LED driving lights?

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 am

I would go with the most lumens you can get, and agree to get a balanced light pattern for a bike.

you can adjust the cutoff angle to handle the amount of light that gets into other's eyes.

I always adjusted so that the top of the beam hits a sedan in front of me, right at the bottom of their rear view window trim.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks John! I appreciate your reply and the information you provided.

Sorry it took so long to respond to your post but I really got hung up , for quite a while, when I followed your link to the NAGWF website. Especially so on the NAGWF's Sidecar pages. Lots of good info there!

As for the driving lights... Do you have any idea how the "down-the-road light" put out by a pair of 900, 1600, or 2800 lumen LED lights would compare to my current pair of 55W halogens?

Thanks again for your help on this! ZT

ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Well... after learning from a variety of sources, that my current 55w halogen lights put out the equivalent of about 1400 lumens with at least a 30 degree beam angle... I decided on a matched pair of SBL's (AUX-20w-D30) 4" Dual mini light pods. (See the thumbnail picture below). These 20w-1800 lumen dual mini-light pods appear to be the same lights (X 2), as the 10w-900 lumen light pods that the WingAdmin reviewed.

The new LED lights should put out at least as much light and roughly the same beam width as my current halogen lights while drawing only about 1.3 amps as opposed to the 10 amps required by the 55w halogens.

I'm really looking forward to receiving and installing them! ZT
Attachments

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I HOPE your lights are what you expect.
I've used several different LED headlights in several different LUMENS.
One pair claimed 1080 Lumens. Didn't seem any brighter than the 780's.
Broken abacus? :)

Led lights give a wider scatter of light than halogens and "SEEM TO" be brighter.
This brighter is a bit of misnomer. The Leds are larger pads of light vs the halogens tight little curl of element. The halogens reflector isn't designed for LEDS, this is why the light is scattered over a larger area. To cut down on the upper throw of scattered light I added 2 strips of black electrical tape at the top of my headlight. Oncoming vehicles flash back less.
As for me I'm not happy with these LEDS. I'll try this combo next, halogen in the left bucket and LED in the right side.

I've got 2 sets of add-on LEDS and the expected Lumens should be enough to light up the Dark Side of the Moon... or so the package says.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks FM-USA! I appreciate your reply but, if you haven't followed the link in my original post in this thread, to my original post in a thread in Product Reviews here on this forum, you may be confused as to what I'm trying to do here.

I am not replacing halogen headlight bulbs with LED bulbs; but rather replacing a pair of halogen auxiliary driving lights with a new pair of LED auxiliary lights. Have a look at my post at the end of the WingAdmin's review of the Light Pods he's added to his bike to get a handle on what I'm doing.

Thanks again for your reply! ZT

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 pm

I was on my Cell when reading & posting that. Hard to read and that URL was near invisible.
I do remember seeing your LED video, the light throw is about the same as my headlight bucket Leds... which I think is very poor.

I believe we'll have to wait for the next generation of Leds to get respectable throw of distant light. Or capture the Led light like that of a Laser then refocus that onto a reflector. Tho that's too many steps.

I'm seeing several trucks around here with the latest bar lights. BRIGHT as all get-out and you can see them for MILES! But they really don't illuminate well.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:15 am

FM-USA wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 pm
I was on my Cell when reading & posting that. Hard to read and that URL was near invisible.
I do remember seeing your LED video, the light throw is about the same as my headlight bucket Leds... which I think is very poor.

I believe we'll have to wait for the next generation of Leds to get respectable throw of distant light. Or capture the Led light like that of a Laser then refocus that onto a reflector. Tho that's too many steps.

I'm seeing several trucks around here with the latest bar lights. BRIGHT as all get-out and you can see them for MILES! But they really don't illuminate well.
It's not the generation of LEDs that is the problem, it's limitations on physics and how LEDs work. The LEDs can put out an incredible amount of light, but they really need lens focusing systems in order to capture and project the light correctly. The old way of capturing light emitted from a filament in all directions, focusing it using a parabolic lens, then collimating it with a fresnel just doesn't work for LEDs. LEDs emit in one direction only, from a relatively large surface area. They need a lens system that shapes and redirects that light. Throwing a convex piece of plastic on the front of the lens helps, but the light still spreads in every direction.

That's why all DOT-certified LED headlights you see have actual proper projection lens systems - it's the only way to tame the spray of light emitted in every direction by the LEDs.