Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I

Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by bigsteveswing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:25 pm

I am new to this forum but have been reading for a while now. I, in a round about way, inherited my Grandpa's '92 Interstate. Saturday I finally got to go pick it up. It has been stored for years in a heated garage, but was very dirty. I can remember when he bought the bike new and it was treated like his baby from that time on until his passing in 2013. I am new to motorcycles but have wanted to get this back on the road for some time now. All I have done to it so far was wash it. I am building my list of to do items now. May take a year for me to have the time and $ to get it where I want it but I am looking forward to it.
Attachments

Just the way it sits, ready for transport

Loaded for the trip
Loaded for the trip

A much needed bath!
A much needed bath!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Good looking bike.
Whatever you do...Please don't try to start it.After setting that long,there's a procedure to restore it and cranking it right up isn't the first thing.Very bad things can happen.
Grandpa was right...baby it.

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Thank you! Ya i have a whole list of stuff to do before ever attempting to start it. Timing belts, oil, coolant, filter, fuel tank...the list goes on and on.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 am

Man what a beautiful rig. I love that side car. It looks good on there. Glad you have it, but sorry that you had to lose your grandpa to get it.

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am

bigsteveswing wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:25 pm
I am new to this forum but have been reading for a while now. I, in a round about way, inherited my Grandpa's '92 Interstate. Saturday I finally got to go pick it up. It has been stored for years in a heated garage, but was very dirty. I can remember when he bought the bike new and it was treated like his baby from that time on until his passing in 2013. I am new to motorcycles but have wanted to get this back on the road for some time now. All I have done to it so far was wash it. I am building my list of to do items now. May take a year for me to have the time and $ to get it where I want it but I am looking forward to it.
Congrats on the bike. Looks very well cared for.

Sorry about Grandpa, that always sucks, I miss mine often.

You have a loooong list of things to go over and clean/replace/tune.
But at least the bike is clean, and not rusty or scraped up like mine is lol.

See my other thread for the kind of things you will need to do to get it going,

Unlike me, start with replacing timing belt, if your competent doing this on a car, doing the bike is the same basically.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42314

Also, if your new to motorcycles, this is NOT the bike you should start riding with.
This bike is heavy, not sporty handling, and does not forgive poor decision making at all. This is an expert level touring bike, top of the food chain and price mark.

You should start training on a smaller, weaker, more nimble bike as soon as possible and work your way up.
Take a Motorcycle safety training course if you can.

Once your proficient and comfortable riding something smaller, and have some seat time under your belt, start taking short careful rides on the Wing to get used to its weight, handling, and power.

That's my advice, welcome to the club and keep us informed of your progress as you restore it to riding condition.

NOVAwing

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you.
I have been following your journey for a while now. Because of your information, and others here, I know I am in for a lot of work, time, and $ spent.
I am signing up for a riding course as soon as I can get in.
I'm not in a hurry to ride the bike, just finally happy to be able to start working towards that goal. I have some buddies with smaller bikes that will let me get some seat time once I am done with the training course.
Thanks again and "stay tuned" for updates on progress.

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 am

I'll be watching too, I enjoy following progress on 'build threads'. I was handed down my fathers 1500 back in October and for as well cared for as it was I've ended up having to do a lot more maintenance than I was expecting as well as fixing a couple of things. But now that all that is pretty much caught up she's running good and it's mostly just hop on and ride now. Another thing I've realized is that although I've been working on cars for about as long as I've been driving and can fix most anything, this forum is full of some real experts on these Goldwings and can help you figure out just about anything, everyone's been super helpful to me.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 22,072 miles and counting as of June 14, 2018!

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am

Glad both of you have been following along.

Nice to pay it forward.

Big Steve, sounds good on your training plans, good luck and be safe.

Your bike may not need as much as I have gone through as mine was not as well cared for and lived outside.

Your looking at timing belt, plus all fluids changed, air filters, drain and fill fuel tank, and maybe tires depending.

The Seafoam fixed my carbs fairly well without resorting to Berryman's B12, I am impressed.

Hopefully you don't have a rear master cylinder to rebuild like I am about to do :evil:

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

NOVAwing

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

I pulled the fuel pump last night and will be draining/siphoning out the remaining fuel soon. Actually looks pretty good in there considering age, looks like stabil was added, but I didn't want to chance pumping trash thru the pump and into the carbs. I think I am going disassemble things to get to the air filter,sub filter, and fuel filter next.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new adventure. I’m sure your grandpa would be glad you’ve taken an interest in resurrecting the Wing.
Get a service manual also. It along with everyone here will guide you through. I like to know what not to do as much as how to do things and Virgilmobile’s advice not to start it until it’s ready is spot on. I’ve saved a lot of time and money by following the advice of folks here.
Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years