CB Channel

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: CB Channel

Post by detdrbuzzard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 am

wish my cb had side band, I would use it more often

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am

detdrbuzzard wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 am
It used to be popular in the UK to have your CB modified with a sideband switch to select between normal operation, upper or lower single sideband. Very reasonably priced 'street' mod at the time, but renown for causing interference to tvs and radios. I have no idea how this was achieved though. Are these mods still possible I wonder?
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am

well
27 mhz is dating from WW2 if i am right,from the Germans that were on these frequencies but i am not sure ,,it's a long time ago i study that subject.

if i add to replace this antenna i would try a maritime cb antenna or a no ground effect one,
in the 70's these antenna existed but i dont know today ,any how dont ask much than 2-3 milles from that kit on this motorcycle .

The best is or switch at FM radio with an Ham license of the FRS could be an alternative in UHF it would be great,,,way better than 27 mhz

this antenna is a compromise between Am/FM radio and the CB frequencies and operation so she is,,,,,so-so in both!

ride safe
Gervais

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 am

gervais wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am

The best is or switch at FM radio with an Ham license of the FRS could be an alternative in UHF it would be great,,,way better than 27 mhz

this antenna is a compromise between Am/FM radio and the CB frequencies and operation so she is,,,,,so-so in both!

ride safe
Gervais
I just googled FRS and saw it is 462 and 467 Mhz range. Family Radio System. I'd nevr heard of it before your post.

Is 2 Meter popular in the US? It seems to be very popular in the UK. Are there many you know adding 2mtr sets to their goldwings?
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 am

FRS is UHF wich is great and far better for communication,,many time in big malls the security guys are on UHF but not FRS.
FRS is like a new CB if you like,thats what have replaced in many places.

i dont know much about 2 meters ,radio-amateur,and GoldWing drivers but again there will be a problem of antenna and rf/swr because it is a motorcycle and the ground effect is ,,,weak.

i would certainly try FRS and 5 watts max and a GOOD mobile uhf antenna and i am sure it will out perform the cb by a great distance and without interference from engine and more.

on my GW here i have installed an APrs Tracker and 2 watts in a 5/8 antenna and works great.
i may well take of that Am/FM radio and install one of those little multi-bande radio but quality is so-so because that chinese crap but they are only them these days.

CB is not necessary for me since i have my radio-amateur license since 95 so i am elsewhere but if that the way too reach to guys on the road than i may keep it for the moment.

73/s
gervais

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 am

Man this thread brought back some memories. At one time I thought CB was the greatest thing and couldn't understand why a CB radio wasn't standard equipment in every vehicle on the road. When I was an 18-year-old freshly on his own after finishing boot camp in the military I had to drive from the West coast to the East coast. Having the CB in my car was a god-send and it probably saved my butt more than once. I even managed to meet a couple future girl-friends through the CB.

Today - even though my bike has a CB that the original owner had installed, I think I've turned it on a grand total of once in 3 years/40K miles. I've been seriously considering removing it and offering it over on the "For Sale" forum. Most of the truckers that I've known say that they gave up on what they started to call the "Children's Band" back in the 80's because as has been noted the channels got too cluttered with general garbage. So much for my idea of the CB being standard equipment.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 am

well
dwight cb has changed a lot from the 70's and 80's and it is one of the reason i pass my licenses here of radio-amateur in Canada,
i did not like these "too cluttered with general garbage" like you wrote so i dont speak anymore.
i have one on my 1984 but i really dont think i will ever speak except in emergencies but i may listen most of the time since i never listen at Am-FM radio on the road when i drive,,,even in my pickup.

CB can be and was supposed to be an emergency telecom in the past and became popular after for every body,,,,,,,,,,,today this is Face of Book and the other!!!!!

73/s
Gf

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I think "Cluttered" is a nice term for the reality that leaving the CB on is to subject yourself to a constant stream of offensive verbal diarrhea. I have used my CB when riding with a group, and it is very nice when confronted with a traffic jam to be able to find out whats going on up ahead. In both cases it is a wonderful tool. However, it has been years since I have been willing to leave it on all the time. I do not mean to denigrate hard working drivers who are visiting with friends. Rather, it is the prevalence of those who simply hold the mic button and spew filth and depravity to everyone within hearing.
The problem is that the abuse of the tool has resulted in it no longer being useful. It is hard to get anyone to respond to a call for information, and groups using it will inevitably have to switch channels or close communications until they have passed out of the range of some potty mouth with high power output. I suspect that is why many of us are turning out attention to Blu-tooth, cellphone connectivity and traffic notification from GPS.

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm

well garvil,
i am not interested in those bluetooth and other aliens radiocom,,
i dont have a cellphone anymore ( i used to have 2 at work and 2 pagers)
i will prefer cb that cost nothing and are so popular,

so i will be listening on 19 and channell 1 i think i heard is another well used channell

ride safe

gef

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Sadanorakman wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am
detdrbuzzard wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 am
It used to be popular in the UK to have your CB modified with a sideband switch to select between normal operation, upper or lower single sideband. Very reasonably priced 'street' mod at the time, but renown for causing interference to tvs and radios. I have no idea how this was achieved though. Are these mods still possible I wonder?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-148-GTL- ... SwhI1a0Rbl
i have one of these that i bought back in the '90's and a cobra 146 side band radiothere was a nation wide group on side band, we always said am cb channels were only good to match / set the swr, am= antenna match then get on side band and go to channel 36
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 pm

i loved SSB ,
less noise and when you ears are set you can listen way better than in AM

i may well install an VHF to replace the AM-FM here