Starter spins motor wont turn over

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Starter spins motor wont turn over

Postby wowimohsobored » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Anyone else have this problem ? the starter will spin but the motor wont turn over and i dont have time to tear it down so it will have to set for a week or so.

wowimohsobored

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: Starter spins motor wont turn over

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am

Have a look through these threads:

Starter spins but doesn't turn the engine

Signs of Starter Going Bad--1983 GL1100

Or just search through the topics: Starter spins
WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby sperryunivac » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Yes, i have had the same issue as you have and went through the exercise of running Seafoam through the engine with no results. The previous owner had replaced the starter but it would only spin and not turn the engine. Bump starting was the routine for a while.
I went through the exercise of pulling the engine so that I could get at the sprag clutch and found that everything inside was clean as a whistle.
Now with the back cover off, it was easy to watch what was happening inside when the starter turned. In my case nothing turned inside, neither the starter gear nor the chain moved, only the starter internal gears were spinning!
I wish Honda would have made an access hole near the starter gear as an easy way to position the starter gear when reinstalling a starter motor.
Dissasembly of the starter motor revealed the problem. Cheap plastic outer ring gear that was held in place by a pin on the outer edge of the plastic. So when the starter turned the chain, the sprag clutch engaged and then the plastic ring gear rotated out of position about 20 degrees causing the planetary gears to bind and the armature to spin freely. This was clearly not an OEM product.
Hence a used replacement OEM starter was found on ebay and installed. Now the engine will turn over when the starter is called to action.
Gee I wish I had of gone the easy route first. Well, removing the starter with the engine in place is not an easy chore but it is far easier then pulling the engine.
I would say to try what the other posts are saying about using Seafom, it is quick and easy and will clean your engine for you and may solve your problem as it has done so for other riders. Next check the starter itself ( see the excellent post about starter rebuilds ) and if possible have it tested under load. Last resort .......... pull the engine.
sperryunivac

Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Postby wowimohsobored » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 pm

I won't be able to mess with it for a week my day job is calling and I just went into overdrive full warp speed , Sooooo its gonna have to wait when I get the chance ill let ya all know what I figure out I have a parts engine so ill have the parts handy if I need them .
wowimohsobored

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby dnehasert » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:23 pm

The starter comes off quite easily on an '81, I have had 2 of them and now an '82. I remove the geatshift lever and then 2 bolts on starter and power cable and it twists out. Never had to remove exhaust or other parts. I have tried 2 Chinese starters and they both were junk. Bought a rebuilt japanese starter and it works great ! Doug

dnehasert

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Return to GL1100 Information & Questions