How to replace the gear oil in your final drive


Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
kit-katICO
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm
Location: kc,mo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Lucas Oil additive

Post by kit-katICO » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm



I'm all for easy and cost effective DIY solutions. Pending cases with seals still does not negate the fact that there is still a leaking/worn seal. When replacing old fluids with new and finding out you (still)have a leak or discovering that it has increased in leak rate. May indicate that they have worn to the point that even tho being a PITA is probably best to just replace the seal and continue proper maintenance from there. Especially if you have newly acquired a bike with unknown history of maintenance, or poor mainenance.

I have only browsed around here at a glance, and loving all the info here!! lots of tips/tricks also because i have acquired a 1981 GL1100 that is having its tyres replaced this weekend and am going to have the shop check the splines, and replace all oils.. Granted it only has 36K mi and quite possibly never pulled a trailer, I'd say the drive-train wasn't a huge priority and forgotten. who knows... ;)



robalfa3
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Pahrump, NV
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by robalfa3 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:31 pm

dwight007fchr wrote:Changing the gear oil was on my list of many things to do to my "new" 83 GL1100 Interstate. I ran into a major "situation" when the No. 17 metric box-end wrench slipped off the excessively tight/frozen fill plug. Either it was put on way too tight, or has not been removed in so many years that maybe the threads oxidized. This soft aluminum will strip real easy. I then had to remove the side luggage support frames (another major pain) so I could get to the stripped bolt with a file to attempt to make a new size bolt. I filed and cleaned her up real good, but cant seem to find any No. 16 Metric wrenches (do they make 16s?). The 11/16 standard is too sloppy and would just shear again. Made one last attempt with a vice grip on the shoulder of the bolt, but nothing.....this bolt seems to be welded in place. So, I have drained the little amount of old gear fluid out (maybe half a cup), and am just going to use the vent plug at the top to fill her up. Although, I hope the thick goo will go into this small hole without bubbling up and overflowing due to lack of vent air during the filling. (She was bubbling up and overfilling when I was flushing out with thin oil). I will have to get the factory specs as to how much fluid it takes, and not use the fill plug as a guide. Just checked......5plus ounces or about 150cc gear fluid. Will use the Valveline 75w90 Synpower suggested by Wingman.

Any other suggestions on removal of the filler plug?
I just changed my final drive gear oil on my '83 GL1100. I also noticed that the filler plug hex is an oddball size....not 16mm and not 17 either. Nor any inch size fits. So...I took a thin strip of aluminum tape and wrapped it fully around the hex. Then I tried on for size the 17mm socket. Still a little too loose so one more wrap of the tape resulted in a very tight fit of the socket...just what I wanted. I put my breaker bar in socket and the plug broke loose very easily with NO damage to the hex corners. The tape is manufactured by 3M (Scotch) and measures .004" thick.
Hope this helps, Rob

dwight007fchr
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 pm
Location: Culpeper, Va
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by dwight007fchr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Rob......Hey, that was very smart.....to wrap the bolt with tape to make a tighter fit with the 17 socket. I will have to try that next time.

bluemax
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Lakeville, MN
Motorcycle: 1988 Aspencade

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by bluemax » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:09 am

I was finally able to check the oil level in my final drive after struggling to get the plug loosened. Some one had over tightened it and it's made of soft metal, so was pretty chewed up by the time I finally got it out. Ordered a replacement plug from Honda, but it has a superceded number for my 1988 and when that came, it didn't fit. I discovered that a Honda CB750 tappet cover is the same part number, was available from 4into1.com , and works just fine. Love all the posts on this site, as they really help me out, being a recent Gold Wing owner.

wingwrench
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:03 am
Location: New Braintree Ma
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100a

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by wingwrench » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

The aluminium fill plug hex head bolt on my gl1100 final drive has been rounded over since I have owned the bike.... I use a small pipe wrench and a cheater pipe to remove the bolt whenever I change the final drive oil every year or two... It will make the head of the bolt worse...,! But it works every time.... tighten it back up the same way... just don't over tighten it... OR you could order a new one but that's just me... If it ain't completely broke yet..? I'm not done fixing it...!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18869
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 pm

wingwrench wrote:The aluminium fill plug hex head bolt on my gl1100 final drive has been rounded over since I have owned the bike.... I use a small pipe wrench and a cheater pipe to remove the bolt whenever I change the final drive oil every year or two... It will make the head of the bolt worse...,! But it works every time.... tighten it back up the same way... just don't over tighten it... OR you could order a new one but that's just me... If it ain't completely broke yet..? I'm not done fixing it...!
Those fill plugs are universal for all Honda bikes, and are cheap - less than $10. You can get them on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... p&_sacat=0

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by swr1977 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am

dwight007fchr wrote:
Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm
Andy.......Yea, Im a newbie too....only a few months......and Wingman and all the others have helped immensely in the restoration of my 83 GL1100. Let me know what you find out.......as I was wondering where the grease relief was for the excess grease that goes into that grease fitting.
dwight007fchr or anyone else who can answer this question...

Did you ever find an answer to the question above... Where is the grease relief for excess grease that goes into the grease fitting? I am afraid of putting to much in. Is there instructions somewhere on how to properly fill it?

Also... Does the grease have to be what is specified in the manual? (lithium-based multi-purpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive) I have a Amsoil brand lithium complex multi-purpose synthetic grease but it doesn't say it has the molybdenum disulfide additive. Is it OK to use what I have? What does the additive do?
Attachments

Page 12-20 of Service Manual
Page 12-20 of Service Manual


grease I have
grease I have

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18869
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am

swr1977 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am
dwight007fchr wrote:
Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm
Andy.......Yea, Im a newbie too....only a few months......and Wingman and all the others have helped immensely in the restoration of my 83 GL1100. Let me know what you find out.......as I was wondering where the grease relief was for the excess grease that goes into that grease fitting.
dwight007fchr or anyone else who can answer this question...

Did you ever find an answer to the question above... Where is the grease relief for excess grease that goes into the grease fitting? I am afraid of putting to much in. Is there instructions somewhere on how to properly fill it?

Also... Does the grease have to be what is specified in the manual? (lithium-based multi-purpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive) I have a Amsoil brand lithium complex multi-purpose synthetic grease but it doesn't say it has the molybdenum disulfide additive. Is it OK to use what I have? What does the additive do?
The owner's manual makes no mention of this fitting. The service manual shows a picture of a grease gun pumping grease into it however, along with this text:
Lubricate the drive shaft joint by pumping the recommended grease through the grease fitting at the final drive gear case flange.

Recommended grease: NLGI-2 or equivalent lithium-based multipurpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive
This is the same grease they recommend to apply to the driveline splines - with good reason, because when you pump grease into this fitting, the idea is that you are lubricating the spline joint between the driveshaft and the final drive.

Nowhere does it specify the amount of grease to pump, or how often. I don't believe there is a relief for excess grease - pumping more grease into it will start to fill the inside of the final drive. Eventually at some point, if you really start pumping away, it's going to come out the front of it, filling the U-joint boot and leaking out there.

Being that the moly grease is really quite expensive, and that "pumping it in the general vicinity" of the driveshaft/final drive spline is what this basically does, I would be more inclined to do what is done on all the other Goldwing models - grease the splines up well with moly paste when it is disassembled, and re-treat it whenever it is removed, i.e. for tire changes.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by swr1977 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am
swr1977 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am
Does the grease have to be what is specified in the manual? (lithium-based multi-purpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive) I have a Amsoil brand lithium complex multi-purpose synthetic grease but it doesn't say it has the molybdenum disulfide additive. Is it OK to use what I have? What does the additive do?
Being that the moly grease is really quite expensive, and that "pumping it in the general vicinity" of the driveshaft/final drive spline is what this basically does, I would be more inclined to do what is done on all the other Goldwing models - grease the splines up well with moly paste when it is disassembled, and re-treat it whenever it is removed, i.e. for tire changes.
OK so you're telling me not to use the grease fitting? or my Amsoil grease I have? But rather to just apply the moly paste that I used on the rear wheel / final drive?
Attachments


For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
redbug
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am
Location: Broken Arrow,Ok
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by redbug » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 pm

In the picture of the grease fitting, upper right corner , are those numbers helpful?
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

User avatar
redbug
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am
Location: Broken Arrow,Ok
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your final drive

Post by redbug » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

In the picture of the grease fitting, upper right corner , are those numbers helpful?
Every 8000 miles according to the manual and service manual.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by swr1977 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

swr1977 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am
swr1977 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am
Does the grease have to be what is specified in the manual? (lithium-based multi-purpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive) I have a Amsoil brand lithium complex multi-purpose synthetic grease but it doesn't say it has the molybdenum disulfide additive. Is it OK to use what I have? What does the additive do?
Being that the moly grease is really quite expensive, and that "pumping it in the general vicinity" of the driveshaft/final drive spline is what this basically does, I would be more inclined to do what is done on all the other Goldwing models - grease the splines up well with moly paste when it is disassembled, and re-treat it whenever it is removed, i.e. for tire changes.
OK so you're telling me not to use the grease fitting? or my Amsoil grease I have? But rather to just apply the moly paste that I used on the rear wheel / final drive?
WingAdmin ... I didn't get a confirmation from you about the grease fitting on the question above. If you are suggesting that I just use the moly paste that I used on the rear wheel/final drive where do you suggest I get it so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg from the dealer?
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18869
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to replace the gear oil in your rear drive

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

swr1977 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm
swr1977 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am


Being that the moly grease is really quite expensive, and that "pumping it in the general vicinity" of the driveshaft/final drive spline is what this basically does, I would be more inclined to do what is done on all the other Goldwing models - grease the splines up well with moly paste when it is disassembled, and re-treat it whenever it is removed, i.e. for tire changes.
OK so you're telling me not to use the grease fitting? or my Amsoil grease I have? But rather to just apply the moly paste that I used on the rear wheel / final drive?
WingAdmin ... I didn't get a confirmation from you about the grease fitting on the question above. If you are suggesting that I just use the moly paste that I used on the rear wheel/final drive where do you suggest I get it so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg from the dealer?
I've been getting mine from Amazon - it's pretty much the cheapest I've found, and with Prime, it's free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Honda-HN-08798-9 ... 131&sr=1-1



Post Reply