The War on Distracted Drivers (VIDEO)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: The War on Distracted Drivers (VIDEO)

Post by WingAdmin »

aguirrb1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 am That is a Wonderful idea ,would two triangular hootennannies be better ?...one in each side bag
The more surface area, the better, so yes.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

I don't disagree that these would be good to catch the attention of AEB systems, but I think the real problem is the general over-reliance on technology. Car drivers aren't paying attention? Lets make a system to do things for them so that they can get away with paying even less attention.

I've been saying for years that it would be better to have systems that make drivers suffer the consequences of their inattention. Instead of equipping cars with air bags and restraint systems, the AEB radar should be connected to a spring-loaded steel spike in the steering column. If they are about to get into a crash, the radar will fire the spike into the driver's chest. Bet that would get their attention real fast. ;)
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.
Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

I know a little about radar and laser speed timing. Bikes are very hard to target especially from the front. From behind also difficult especially if there are other targets. The reflective tape seems like a good defence mechanism, and would certainly up your odds. I wonder about putting the tape into the tail lights. Haven,t looked at my lights as it may not be doable
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Of course this assumes that you want to show up on radar. Sometimes you are looking for stealth.
In my misspent youth I remember a road with a radar speed trap at the end. The officer would stand next to his car with a handheld radar gun protected by a long chain link fence that kept his signal from being picked up by radar detectors.
I never got a chance to see the look on the his face when I would go by him at 150+ mph. :twisted:
vladimirch
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by vladimirch »

Hello,

I can see very good idea. I made some small change. We have free space in Gold Wing in both lower rear saddlebag covers. :P Free space in each cover is large enough for radar reflector installation. You can see appropriate size on my attached drawing.

I made my reflectors from 0.8 mm aluminium sheets. If we make reflector smaller we will lost some reflective area. If we make reflector biger it can touch el. cable for bulbs in saddlebag. I hate drilling, so I sticked reflectors down by epoxy glue.

You can also see how photo flash is reflected.

Easy hidden permanent instalation. In each cover is free space for 2nd reflector :roll:

Hanske van C
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Hanske van C »

Years ago when I was an instructor A and B I found this nice video...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

Couldn't get into the tail lights. I did take that panel out that provides assess to the rear wheel and for the inside of it with foil tape
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

Sunyjim wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:45 am
dingdong wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:42 pm Considering the fact that I have more close calls with near head on collisions. Idiots crossing the yellow line, I do believe I would point one toward the front also?
That could cause someones AEB system to slam on the brakes in the opposite lane. Not good
Uh . . .no. Or this would happen every time a semi was coming the other way on narrow roads.

I don't see any point in doing this, and would mention that this will give a radar speedgun a stronger paint on you, further away.
Last edited by Solo So Long on Mon May 17, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solo So Long
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)

Post by Solo So Long »

These are smaller:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Corner-Pr ... 85&sr=8-45

They aren't quite as good as that sharp-cornered box, but much shallower so will take up less space in the bok.

This is another solution, and can be mounted in the saddleboxes, trunk, on the luggage rack, etc:

https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-CITY-Refl ... 359&sr=8-5
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Over half century of riding this finally happened to me earlier this week.
I was on a 2 lane road and in a long sweeping left turn, oncoming has the inside lane of course. This situation always perks me up since distracted drivers will usually fade to the left & into the oncoming traffic.
Well here's this car dead center in my lane and the driver is looking down, no doubt on their phone. It's getting to the point do I head for the grassy ditch or chance it and use their vacated lane. I got about 1 foot shoulder of loose rocks to work with, ya, not going to work well for 2 wheels machines. Too many ramifications being my fault if I use their lane so I'm slowing down as much as possible before hitting the ditch. BUT that, I see now a guy, driver looks up and QUICKLY!!! veers back in his lane. LUCKY US HUH.
Well not so lucky for him, his grassy ditch has water in it. Yup, I see a huge splash & since he didn't hit anything hard or roll over I continued on as if I seen (Sgt Schultz) nothing - NOTHING!

Solo So Long
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)

Post by Solo So Long »

If he got stuck in the water, you had a duty to stop and call law enforcement.

And then spend 20 minutes laughing at him while his car got fished out.

Seriously, going into the ditch without a report can be explained, maybe even covered by insurance, but doing so while playing on his phone would likely result in the opportunity to explore the fascinating world of American justice system, and maybe let him meet some new friends at Traffic School. He earned this wonderful experience, and by not reporting, you have have robbed him of what was rightly his! ;)
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

YESTERDAY here's this magnetic sign on a car door 'Student Driver School' to my right on a 4+1 center lane turn roadway and were coming to a red light.
I stopped but that student driver went right on through as if it were green. BTW: spanish to English conversion of RED is parada (parade) so I guess that's what that driver did, parade right on through.
So I caught up with said student driver seen it was a hispanic guy driver & female hispanic passenger and there's a clipboard on the dash.
Kicker is, SHE WAS ON HER PHONE!!! :o :o :o

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Solo So Long wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:48 pm If he got stuck in the water, you had a duty to stop and call law enforcement.

And then spend 20 minutes laughing at him while his car got fished out.

Seriously, going into the ditch without a report can be explained, maybe even covered by insurance, but doing so while playing on his phone would likely result in the opportunity to explore the fascinating world of American justice system, and maybe let him meet some new friends at Traffic School. He earned this wonderful experience, and by not reporting, you have have robbed him of what was rightly his! ;)
Yup, I agree.
Believe me, I thought of that several times long before this incident. IF someone is possibly hurt I will put my extensive first aid to work. Have done so a few times so far.
There was no other traffic and it was all forest & grassland. He has a phone he can call for help, if needed. It happened so quick I doubt he even seen what color or type of bike I have.
I was told a few times by cops, even by one who seen I was cut-off, 'no contact, move along'. :evil:

In today's world and no witnesses seems whoever has the better gift of gab wins the argument. He got his due, I got my chuckle. Case closed.

Solo So Long
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)

Post by Solo So Long »

There was no argument -- he went into the ditch.

The only question is how it happened. He told the cops that a dog ran across the road, or something similar, and he's not going to learn anything. In his mind, it's YOUR fault, for suddenly being there.

If you had been standing there, laughing, when Officer Friendly showed up, it would have been a whole different story.

I never believed the idea that being lucky this time (nobody getting killed) means giving them another chance to be UNlucky.

Someone cruising down the street on the phone, but in control of the vehicle, is someone who's in control of the vehicle. It's not the first time, and they are no more a danger than the guy in the radio car, typing on his laptop to run a license plate or get more info on a call he's responding to. Pulling someone over for being on the phone while being in control is bogus.

Someone who is cruising down the WRONG SIDE of the street because they're on the phone is NOT in control -- and it's not the first time. Citing them as their car is draining out is pretty cut and . . .well, you can't say DRIED, can you . . ? Cut and dryING. And they're not likely to do that again, after all of the fuss and fines take their toll.
Pam

Post by Pam »

Sure would be some nice yaw marks left on the road to tell the tale. Let him tell the Judge and insurance company why he made the manuver. Insurance folks don't need much of an excuse to deny a claim, even if a Judge does buy the avoiding story