Do you wear your " Helmet "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by echinus1988 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:12 am

I just put in my little story about ATGATT and I always wear a helmet. Colorado doesn't require helmets but I do!

Under Goldwing Chat, look for Careless (Posted today 6/14/2017) and you'll read about my little mishap. Yes, I was wearing my helmet thank goodness. Mild concussion and retrograde amnesia but I would have been a lot worse along with road rash if I hadn't had a helmet on.

Jamb85
Motorcycle: GL1500A

Post by Jamb85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Helmets,
Honestly depending of your investment on your own life, but it does not have to expensive but one thing is is assured. Given the the standards are met and in the majority of incidents - will save your life. I now have all types, the only one I don't use is open faced but prefer the modular lift jaw type so you can talk, drink and still leave it on.
As a intensive care paramedic for two decades and a firie for two more, death is never a good thing to see my friends, especially when from two wheels, but is a certainty when not wearing a lid - period.

I Iike my chances of not winning lotto when escaping being on the wrong side of the grass by wearing one should I be in a crash off my 1500 than being a certain starter for lawn food if not. Please people, this is not negotiable, just as good protective clothing, just WEAR one one.
:P
The human body is not designed to travel any fast r than 30 miles an hour, yet we routinely travel a deal faster than that hence we need to "protect up" as no point "surviving the slide wearing good clothing it's all over in the first impact to your head and it behaves like a bug on a windscreen" because you didn't wear a helmet.

Please just wear one, every time, regardless of the law of the state or territory you ride. It's law here and there used to be a no helmet possible below 25 kph (South Aussie -15 mph), but that's gone too. We have a road toll of less than 100 / year now and dropping, but still too many riders.

Stay safe one and all, help yourself survive should you fall and remember ATGATT.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:23 pm

I remember one of the Motorcycle accidents I went to, driver was stoned on Pot, hit the curb, his face hit the telephone pole in front of him at a height of 15 feet, the indent it made on the wood is till there - decades later.

Just wear one.

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

zamboni920 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:58 pm
One big argument against helmets used to be hearing. Anti helmet riders always said you can't hear a horn or an emergency vehicle beneat the helmet. Well, try that at 65 MPH. Without a helmet, the windnoise practically makes you oblivious to anything around you.
I think I hit on this subject before, but it bears repeating....if you want your ears to last you for a lifetime. PROTECT YOUR HEARING. And certainly a part of that is wearing a helmet. Personally I wear a Shoei Neo-Tech modular helmet with a Sena 10U bluetooth communications system. paired to my cellphone and GPS. Actually the cellphone is paired to the GPS and the GPS to the Sena, that way I get a notification if I get a call and I can simply push a "button" on the GPS to accept or decline a phone call.
'Ok where was I...Oh yeah hearing protection...I know my hearing isn't what it used to be, and I want to keep what I have left, so I wear my helmet all the time and sometimes earplugs too...

Watch this video a buddy in England did on hearing protection....

Sam
Sam

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:41 am

When I started out, my first bike was a 1970 Yamaha xs650 partially chopped with Hooker Headers on it. Since the baffling was gone, they were loud. I hadn't read much yet and thought my helmet was adequate protection against hearing loss. A couple years later I had subscriptions to a few motorcycle magazines and read about ear plugs. I had already noticed some ringing in my ears so I went out and found a good pair and wore them from then on.

Now that I am older I have tinnitus and it has really done some damage to my hearing and being able to understand people. Better late than never probably is right here but I wish I had found about it earlier.

I never go out without ear plugs anymore. I am going to save what hearing I have and hopefully not lose anymore.

And definitely my helmet! Just starting to look for a new one after my spill.

jtmcnees
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate.

Post by jtmcnees » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Full face 100% of the time. I couldn't Give a crap about helmet laws. ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!

tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

Post by tylers883 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 am

Safety gear of all kindsh have become very fashionable. I wear a half helmet with skull graphics, and i have full face plain black helmet that is a pleasure to wear in the rain.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by brianinpa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am

For Pennsylvania it's a choice rather than a mandate, so sometimes I choose.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 am

I wear my modular all the time, and my girlfriend's should be here soon (today, actually, if I remember right). One thing I always recommend when shopping for one is look at the latches, make sure the pins and the latch are both metal. Now, I would say 99% of the ones out there by reputable manufacturers are. Here in Hell Paso (and Phoenix, Inland Empire, CA, Vega$, etc) I MUCH prefer the ability to flip the front up at a stop to take a cooler breath of air.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm

If you observe professional riders they wear
a helmet, right? So why shouldn't we observe the same train of thought, just saying. Previously I stated what happened to my cousin. His head hit the road at 5 miles an hour
Put him in a coma for months.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I wear my helmet all the time, every time. Ride with guys who wear on expressways but not in city, this thinking is azz backwards in my opinion, much more likely to need lid in city traffic than highway.
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am

While driving home from Canada a couple weeks ago, travelling through New York State, I was passed by a guy on a distinctive purple Harley.

Later, at the first rest stop in Pennsylvania, I stopped for a bio-break, and the Harley rider was just about to get back on the road. He had stopped at the rest stop in order to take his helmet off, now that he was in Pennsylvania. His helmet was bungeed to the rear seat.

Later, just after we got to Ohio, we came across emergency vehicles. I saw the purple Harley on its side, a small Toyota next to it, two police cars, a fire truck and an ambulance. I did not see the rider. I did see his helmet in the ditch. I guess it didn't protect him that well bungeed to the seat. I hope he came out OK.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Although I have never gone down at speed on a bike (just parking lot tip overs), I have been in a number of car accidents over the years. In a couple of those I was not wearing my seat belt, and I noticed that I did not find the time to put it on when I saw the accident developing. Even the ones where we slid on ice for what seemed like three or four minutes, but in reality was only a few seconds.
I do not have any confidence in my ability to do likewise with my helmet, or boots, gloves, jacket, riding pants, etc. if I am in an accident with the bike. You land with the same equipment you have on when you take off, sometimes less.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am

I for one always wear my helmet. I might skimp on the jacket and gloves sometimes when it's hot but the skid lid is always there.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm

I just finished watching a documentary on Netflix entitled Road. It is about TT racing in Europe, specifically about Joey and Robert Dunlap. I didn't notice any of the pros riding without full gear. There is a reason for wearing it. I would rather wear it and not need it than need it and not be wearing it.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:58 pm

MiWinger51 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm
I just finished watching a documentary on Netflix entitled Road. It is about TT racing in Europe, specifically about Joey and Robert Dunlap. I didn't notice any of the pros riding without full gear. There is a reason for wearing it. I would rather wear it and not need it than need it and not be wearing it.
Quite right,
dunno if all look at Facebook or not, but I just uploaded all of the Department of Public Safety photos of my accident back in Jan 2008, occurred in Phoenix, AZ five minutes after I got off work.

I never ride w/o my gear, and that means gloves.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnTcraigJr/photos_albums

Click on Penske accident to follow it thru.
if you follow the investigator's viewpoint, his 1st picture is where the accident started,
and then he walks up a few feet, takes a snap, and then he starts a circle and gets it all from every angle.

I need to go thru and make some of those pictures "right side up"

I just noticed that if you click on a photo, it gets larger, and down at the bottom right is "Options" where you can rotate the pictures.... Rotate Left seemed to make them all correct for as long as you are viewing them.

once you back out, they revert back to the way they uploaded.
~John

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks John, for posting those photos. I went through them very slowly, one by one, and everytime I brought up a new image I would pause and think again, just how fragile life can be. I say think again because I was involved in, not a motorcycle crash but a car crash, that put me in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks, 32 years ago. After that, I was at home recovering for 6 months. It was a tossup for me that time, just like it was a tossup for you John. Once, was one time too many, I think you'll agree. And I'm so glad to hear that you survived. I know you're still hurting. So am I to an extent, but it gets better, and more manageable with time. It's been a few years for you, so you might know what I mean. The memory loss can be tough at times. I banged my head pretty good. Pressure on the brain, and all that stuff.
Hopefully, you posting your story will prompt all the rest of us to reflect a bit, and focus on the huge advantages of defensive driving and being constantly aware of everything that's going on around us. I find trying not to assume anything, at least when I'm riding, is probably giving me a fighting chance.

Best of luck John with your continuing recovery. I'm glad you still ride. Ride safe!.................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks Dave for the good comments.

my doctors told me that the only way to get past the accident, was to talk about it....
my psych doctors also, and for other reasons where we make a few bad decisions in life....

they told me I can't fix what has been done, but I can try to make amends sometimes,
and even there, you can just talk it out, and go on.

for me, this past week, finding those pictures once again, buried in a very deep folder under other folders, has been helpful.... for years all I had was six pictures, of the results, not what led up to the end of it.... I kept wanting to review all of it from where it started, and the officers would not give me those pictures, nor would the lawyers.... I finally got the CDrom disc from my lawyer after the settlement was made.... he could not understand why I wanted them, but he finally caved in....

I have now copied that folder to a new one slap dab on the main C:\ root directory
~John

sg4082
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by sg4082 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am

I always wear my helmet. Like has been said before, I may ride around the block, country road with little to no traffic, but that Is all. My son rides all the time and I still try to get him to wear his helmet. I guess he thinks it's not cool, but he is coming around. When he rides with me I insist on him wearing his helmet on his bike.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 am

REF: my memory loss,
if I need to keep info around for more than 15 minutes,
I create a note in an application called Evernote which is accessible from any internet connected device.

I have the app on my cellphone, and the Desktop applet on my Win7 desktop PC...

other PCs can download an app called NixNote2 which will run on any OS common today,
~John

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 pm

That's just a bad area, way too much traffic funneled through there... I must say I like the picture with the 6 or so DPS motorcycles lined up against the median wall..they must have pulled motor officers from all over the metro Phoenix area..

Glad you came though the other side.

Sam
Sam

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm

coolrogue1 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 pm
That's just a bad area, way too much traffic funneled through there... I must say I like the picture with the 6 or so DPS motorcycles lined up against the median wall..they must have pulled motor officers from all over the metro Phoenix area..

Glad you came though the other side.

Sam
Thanks Sam,
yes, I know it all too well... between 2:45 and 6ish, it is one hell hole to drive through.
~John

bentleyss
Motorcycle: 1999 cbr1100xx Blackbird,
1995 GL1500 / Hannigan 2+2

Post by bentleyss » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm

Got my first motorcycle in 1964 with the condition from my Mom that I wear a helmet always. 100’s of 1000’s of miles later I can say I have only ridden “No helmet “ in New Hampshire one time for less than 6 miles. Didn’t’ like the feeling of not having some protection. Even If I go two or three houses down the street, the Helmet goes on. Just my preference.

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 am

After my first accident in June of last year, I really appreciate the value of a helmet even more. I am a firm ATGATT and nobody rides with me without the helmet. The pictures clearly show where my face would have been if it hadn't been for the helmet. The entire left side would have been solid road rash and along the top of my head. As it is, I still got a mild concussion but that is way more preferable to the damage I could have had.

My next safety piece of gear? The air bag vest or jacket. Just have to decide on which one but it will have the neck and tailbone protection when I buy it. And I am NOT looking for the cheapest. I am looking for the best protection. The cheaper ones don't look to have the neck and lower back protection that many do.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 am

In the summer months, I wear a Phase Change Cool Vest underneath a Mesh ballistic jacket.

I have looked at those Air Bag jackets, and wonder just how much stuff should I try to put on?

my mesh jacket is a lemon/yellow Hi Vis, and that Air bag is not.

My mesh jacket has already saved my ass once.
Attachments

~John