Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bassaw
Motorcycle: 2017 build Honda Goldwing GL1800B F6B Bagger

Re: Please tell who or what made you buy a Goldwing

Post by bassaw » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:21 am

Hey BigBike, we have the opposite problem here in Aussie we need cooling grips and seats :? True story, when my married daughter had a close look at my Aspy 1500 for the first time her initial comment was it's big enough to be an APC and then turned to the son in law after looking at the fairing vents and compressor dials etc. and said that she didn't realize you could get bikes with air-conditioning on them !!!!!!!! with which the son in law couldn't stop laughing so I had to explain it to her. She'll never live it down and it is possible that we may make some slight reference to her mistake somewhere in the future, at an appropriate moment of course.

rb550four
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100,a 72 450 some 500 fours , some 550fours and some 650fours

Post by rb550four » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:00 pm

I've been collecting mid range Honda fours for a few years and thought maybe it's time to move up to a bigger machine. I tried out the 750 four....didn't feel nimble to me . Tried out the 750 shadow...found it totally uncomfortable ,after an hours ride I'm standing up at the stoplights just to get my bones back in line. Wings started to enter the market in a big way around my locale, and the prices didn't seem too bad...so I've been on the hunt for a year or so with no luck, then a guy who is a few towns over tells me about his wing and says he'll sell it to me real cheap otherwise it goes for scrap. Well after a year on the hunt , I didn't expect much. I asked if I could come see it and it was obvious this guy loved this machine but it really was time for him to pass it on. Yes it needs carbs rebuilt, and after ready through a few threads here , I think timing belts and water pumps would be a good thing to do too. This 1100 has Vetter bags in lightweight plastic with fiberglass doors and a fiberglass windscreen .Not shinny factory stuff but it's light...around 600 lbs total. I should be able to ride this just fine.
So I bought it for twice the scrap dollar value, everyone was happy. This cleanup project should be starting this winter in hopes of a mid spring ride.
So to answer the question:" who or what made you buy a goldwing". I must answer , no one made me buy it, I bought it by choice.

76AuWing
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by 76AuWing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 am

I've just gotten back into motorcycling after being off for thirty years. Though just like skiing, you can be off for a very long time and after a run or two it all comes right back. I picked up & restored a 1969 Triumph Bonneville and a 1973 850 Norton Commando. Then my right knee started giving me trouble. This spring/summer I thought to myself, "Self, you have maybe 100 more kicks in that right knee." I was right, I sprained my knee kicking over the Norton this summer & decided to sell it. My wife knew I wanted to replace it with a 70's e-start and I spotted a 76 GoldWing on Craigslist that looked very nice. I've been helping her with her mother for a while and just located her in a nice house close to us with live-in caregivers. She was very appreciative of the help. A month ago on a sunny Saturday morning the doorbell rang and two guys showed up with the GoldWing on a trailer! So here I am with a beautiful, early serial number 76 GoldWing with 21k on the clock. That's how I came about owning a GL1000. Lastly, the Goldwing is, of course, 1 down 4 up. The Bonneville and the Norton are right-side shift, left-side brake. The Bonnie is 1 down 3 up. The Norton is 1 up 3 down. Talk about having to focus on which bike you're riding :shock: :shock:

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Post by koyote » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 pm

I got back into riding, having only done dirtbikes when I was younger. This spring, wife said okay, kids are all born, go do the thing. Took the MSF class, got a suzuki intruder 800 for a steal, ended up doing a few 1000 mile plus 3 day rides and.... yeah. maintenance is just HARD on the intruder (dual carbs, one under the seat, one under the front of the tank. and so on). Small tank, not the best seat.

Great bike, but limited.

I started doing a lot of research, most of the guys ride harleys, and the local mechanics are *all* harley guys (80 miles to the closest really decent UJM mechanic shop) ... but they are so overpriced for what you get.

I went out looking for a big bigger, bit heavier, bit more touring oriented bike. After all the research, and working on the wife's honda helix, I decided I would rather just "go honda", but I had some functional minimums (range and speed).... in my search for a gl1000 I started looking at other options, thinking about speed (if I can't cruise at 75 comfortably, it's not a good choice)... started looking for a gl1100 or 1200 interstate with the minimum options....

found a 1986 SEI, the exact opposite of minimum options. The price was good enough I decided I could try it and sell it for a profit in the spring if I wanted to. After the first 250 miles on it, now- I am hooked.

Marc861
Motorcycle: 1989 Gl1500 w/Champion trike

Post by Marc861 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:57 pm

This will sound a bit off to some but I like to ride with my wife and when her bike went south the ol v star 1100 just wasn't gonna cut it anymore.I knew pretty much from the start that the wing would be my best bet and then the need developed into being a trike with little research I knew a wing it would be.I found a good deal on a 89 with 57k miles and a new kit with some stuff left to be finished and bought it.Its given me some real challenges the past year but it's a sweet ride now and fun.

memphismike
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by memphismike » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:09 pm

This would best describe why I bought a Goldwing. I cut a video shortly after I bought it!
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

nikidog
Motorcycle: 1989 1500

Post by nikidog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Always wanted a Goldwing and found a 1989 1500 at a Yamaha dealer with 29000 miles on it. It truly is fun to ride even as a 26 year old motorcycle.

winginitrick
Motorcycle: 2003 goldwing black

Post by winginitrick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:02 am

with me it was space. my wife and i went for a nice little putt way back in like 1992. i had bought a brand new 85 suzuki madura! anyone remember them? it was 1200 cc,s of raw power. we went for a little 100 mile putt to jackson ohio from home here in batavia to eat dinner, at abut 3pm in september. beautiful putt! nice warm sunshine, so we left with just shirts, no jackets. course there was no place to put a jacket anyway! and oh my god!!!!!! when we came out after dinner, the sun had LEFT (hahahahahah) and the temp dropped to about 68*. holy SH!!!!!!!! no jackets!!!!!!! nothing but shirts! and we had 100 miles to ride. no windshield, no fairing, nothing. so i said to myself, self? we gotta go get a wing. thats all there is to it... that way, we can always have jackets, fairings, windshields, etc. so i went out and got me a new 93 1500 wing. and ive been winginit ever since. yall keep on winginit rick
[/b
WE ALL NEED TO GET ALOT OF THEM DEAD PRESIDENTS. CUZ YOU CANT EXPECT ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE. KEEP ON WINGINIT RICK]

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:20 pm

I have been ridding motorcycles for 40+ yrs. now. And had a 74 Moto Guzzi just before retiring from the Air force. My wife at the time didnt like it for 2 up ridding. She said why dont you get a GoldWing or something. What? You want me to spend money? In a couple of months I found a nice 84 Wing Interstate that I kept for 12 yrs.
When I started working for a Railroad sub-contractor in Oregon I found that the Old Wing wasn't going to be feasible to put in my truck. And pull my 24ft travel trailer to Florida for the next project. So I sold the Wing and bought a 83 R100RT BMW, near 300lbs lighter (1997).
Have had 5 BMWs in between. Still have 2 BMWs one, my 2003 K1200GT for 11 yrs now. It is classified a sport/touring bike and more on the sport side. Rated at 130 HP and will do 80 mph in 3rd gear without hitting red line and still have 3 more gears left. But as im 66 now and having back trouble may have to let her go one day.
Couple months ago I was talking to an old school/neighbor of 50 yrs. He had a 85 GoldWing Aspencade in his garage. Well lets take a look at her. Not bad shape and been setting for 5 yrs. He said $1500, I said, $1200 and we shook hands on it. With just 30,000 miles on her and me doing a full fuel system rebuild should be a great old Wing. See how things go may keep the wing for a daily rider and sell the BMW. No heated seats, or electronic cruise control or electric windshield like the Beemer. But may be just more comfortable for the old man. We shall see. The End
Twocams

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Back in 1984 I bought a brand new 1982 Kawasaki CSR 650. (Remember back then they flooded the market with more bikes than they could sell.)
It was the first brand new motorcycle I had ever bought. Didn't matter to me it was already 2 years old. My wife and I rode everywhere together on that bike.

Then one day one of the guys I worked with showed up on a 1977 Goldwing all fitted out with the Vetter fairings, bags and boot. I thought it was beautiful, all black and with a radio!
We became riding buddies and then one day he said follow me, got something to show you.
We rode to a residence in town where an older gentleman was selling his 1982 Aspencade. About 2 weeks later I sold my bike, got a bank loan and bought that Aspencade.
Made a lot of good memories on that bike. Loy was older than I was and about 10 years later, he fell and hurt his leg. It wouldn't stop hurting and a few days later he went to the hospital.
On that leg was a cancerous mass.
The mass was removed and I thought he was recovering just fine. He was in good spirits when I visited him.
I kept expecting him back to work on any day. Then 90 days from when he hurt his leg, he died in the hospital.
He's riding the best roads not in this world now. Wish he was still here.

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Post by CaNorseman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 am

I've wanted a Goldwing sinse I some first saw a full dress. I had a cx500d and was impressed but it had some limitations.I finally built my 76 Gl1000 with a full vetter package. I'm hooked. I recently bought a Gl1500 and WOW now I know why Gl's are so great. My new 91 aspencade is such a sweet ride.

DJnRF
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100i Interstate
And, many others since I started riding. Started on a Harley in 1956.

Post by DJnRF » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 pm

An article in a motorcycle magazine convinced me to look into a Honda when he had written of how
smooth a ride they were, and that they were "virtually indestructible, and practically bulletproof."
Both of those things peaked my interest as the Harley(s) I had always leaked oil and shook my
bones enough to cause my injuries to get worse, and also because of all the talk earlier on how
the Honda motorcycle was Jap junk, and wouldn't even last a year on the market.

When I first started riding there wasn't much out in society to buy other than the Harley.
Back then, they were a 'nickel a truckload' on the market. Many were left over from the
war. My first was a Harley 125, Identical to the Hog, right down to the studded leather
saddlebags. From the first, I was hooked on riding. About a year after Honda came on
the U. S. market I was experiencing problems riding my Hog. (A 64, before electric starters.)
It was a comfy seat, but the constant vibrations were killing me. It was a beautiful machine,
but I needed a smooth ride, and one that I didn't have to work on so much. My first 350
Honda was a dream. Shortly after I had a 454, then a 554, then a 754. By then I was
completely hooked on the Honda, and got rid of my Harleys. (I also had several.)
I finally picked up this old Wing that the previous owner had named "Old Faithful".
It has truly been living up to it's name.

At my age now, I doubt that I will ever have enough money to upgrade to something
newer. Not even a cheap price with a payment plan seems possible in my future. I am
still also of the mind that today's costs for any out there is far too high a price.
I have never paid more than $350 for any motorcycle before this Wing. My Hog
was only $300, and only the 750 cost me $350 for a 79 model.

I will just be fixing my old one until I can no longer do the work myself, and can't
afford paying for another to fix it. I intend to ride it until I can no longer do so,
of fix it. I just wish I could afford an upgrade. Well, I guess it is the old story of,
"Wish in one hand and **** in the other to see which hand gets filled the quickest".
"Survival is one's own ability to cope with and overcome any adverse or threatening situation, condition, casualty or event." ©Dj 1969

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:56 am

We have been a mainly off road racing family. That requires a high degree of fitness, nutrition, mechanical ability, emphasis on safety gear etc. Most of my plated bikes have been various dual sports. About 10 tears ago we got a V-STROM 650 when the gas prices were stupid. I still refused to buy a street only bike out of principle. It was a very competent bike. With Givi 52s it has more storage than the wing by a large amount. We started adventure touring and traveled all over the states. After our second summer trip of the year, this time to the grand canyon, the cross winds and heat really blew us around. Comfort, element protection, storage, a quality powerplant, good handling and suspension, and preferably not have, ABS, traction control, fly by wire throttle, air cooling, blue tooth interface, digital dials, carb (great for racing, pain for street), metal bodywork, or loud pipes. Also, we knew if we got a bike it would be the last one, close to retirement, we would get and eventually trike it. Rode and looked at everything and I mean everything, many with the don't wants, lol. I must say the Harley and Ducati are gorgeous pieces of mechanical art. Harley has the best fit and finish (that shocked me). Rode the wing last, I was intimidated by the sheer size and weight. When I rode it I was amazed, super agile, very easy to ride slow, great power, no buffeting at all, fantastic smooth brakes, great stereo. Had the option to get the base package 2015 40th, for 6k off of list. Bought it right there. We love this bike. The more I ride it the better it gets. Over 3k the first month. Oil, filter, and gear changes are easy, the second didn't even take 15 minutes. Will go synthetic at 5k.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

gamartin
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Post by gamartin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Before four years ago, the last time I rode a bike was my senior yr in high school (1976). Four years ago I was diagnosed with a pre-cancerous condition that at anytime might fire up to be a blood cancer called Waldenstrom's. The diagnosis made me start thinking about some things I still wanted to do. Being an empty-nester, grandfather and at the time in my early 50's my wife and I decided that I needed to find something that I could spend time as a hobby.
So I started with a Virago 250 for 3 years and took a couple of ABATE classes. After getting comfortable riding again, I wanted to find something to tinker with. I really wanted to go and restore one of three cars that I owned in my high school days ('68 Mustang GT, '70 Cougar Eliminator w/428 cu in, or a '72 Roadrunner with a 426 cu in), then the practical side of my brain kicked in. If I did one of these, I wouldn't want to drive it.
So that lead me to consider an older bike, that would be reliable enough to enjoy, modify, and/or tinker with. My research led me to consider an older wing. I got the GL1100 last Jan. and have not regretted it one bit. It's a blast to ride, take a trip on, and I still get to tinker. One of the side effects of this blood disorder is electrical shocks in my hands, feet, and some days severe foot pain which makes it a little difficult, but it is so relaxing to get out and ride.
This forum with it's info has been a great help and blessing! Now at 57, I hope to keep riding this wing until I hit 70 yrs or more as long as my health allows me to do so. :D

imalbcnu2@msn.com
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate.

Post by imalbcnu2@msn.com » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:18 am

IMAG00591.jpg
IMAG00592.jpg
IMAG00593.jpg
IMAG00590.jpg
IMAG00590.jpg
First I had a Girlfriend who stopped me from Riding because She would not ever get on a Motorcycle. Today that problem . SOLVED 13 Years later.

I actually went to a Bike Salvage Yard to buy a Kawasakis CONCOURS. They did not have one on Hand. I saw this Honda sitting there
IMAG00510.jpg
IMAG00511.jpg
IMAG00512.jpg
IMAG00513.jpg
. I looked at it and noted the tags so I asked WHY is the The Wing sitting there . He said the owner used to ride it one day it quit. we trailered it here and there it sits. If you wanted a Bike this one would be the one to get. as and easy fix.

I bought it and brought it home . I used to have a First Generation Honda and this one had all the Stuff. When I researched it. I found the had Made a INTERSTATE ?ASPENCADE HYbryid.. This one appeared to be the Beast.

I have benn Riding in the wind since 1961 when I was 11 years old now I am 66. so this fits the Bill . I brought it home .It did not have and Ignition Key . That was easily resolved.

Can't wait to get back in the wind. so I am going through it as a Winter Project.. Right now coil check and kill switch . Maybe soon get to Hear the old boy Kick out The JAMS.

ACACOJU
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 GOLDWING WHITE

Post by ACACOJU » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm

I´am Brazilien.
I've been possessed of several motorcycles, but after that GOLDWING purchase, there is no other in comfort , stability and security . I'm in my third GOLDWING :lol:

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:22 am

I had a Honda CB 77 in college. Customized with a 350 tank, Candy Orange paint. then a Yamaha 650. nice but small.
Harley's are nice, but heavy- TOP heavy. heavy top end on engines, plus gas tank.
GW has the gas under you and closer to the CG, making it easier to balance. Plus, it is fun to irritate the Big Twin folks by asking what they do for their bike at 40-50k miles. They usually have to overhaul the top end. We change the oil, maybe a timing belt. Ain't many H_D's with 300,000 miles.

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Post by firey1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:44 pm

When i was a young lad of 16 I was working at a place that was run by two Americans one of the guys had a 1100 wing while I had a we Suzuki GN250 (looked like a miniature of his without the xtras) always loved the wings since then Had a lot of sports bikes over the years but took till I was 49 to get my first wing a 1984 1200 aspy that I picked up for $3000 Then after 3 months the 1996 1500 aspy was advertised managed to get that for $8000 may take a long time before i get to an 1800 as for a good 2nd hand late model here in NZ there still around the $25-30 K mark

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 pm

After being out of riding for 20 years or so, I had no intentions of getting back in when my son mentioned a 1980 Goldwing for sale. Only $300 dad but it needs work. No, I'm not interested. Don't have the money, etc...

Long story short, I came home and found a 1980 in my driveway one day. I was warned to be careful pulling in since my driveway view is blocked by my truck. Good thing since it was parked across the garage door. Seems he got my mom and sister involved to go into it in thirds!

It took a while to get it running but it is now (still overheats but I'm working on it) and I have been loving it. In fact found a 1982 Aspencade that I am currently working on. It runs but has problems at speed that, like the 1980, I am working on.

So I have gone from learning on a Honda 550 to testing on a 350 to a 1970 Yamaha 650 to a 1977 Yamaha XS750 to Goldwings. I won't go back!

GoldWRider
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by GoldWRider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 am

When I 1st started riding back in 2005 I was looking for a starter bike and went to a motorcycle store called the Hitching Post and was looking at Virago 250’s. My wife was with me and while we were looking at bikes they had a couple of Goldwing’s. At the time, the bikes were massive but I liked the shape and features it had. I always liked the Goldwing’s but never saw one up close.

I bought the 2005 Virago 250 and rode it one summer then sold it then bought a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. I rode the Shadow for about a year then bought a 2007 Honda Sabre 1100 but kept the Shadow for a while which I eventually sold because I never rode it anymore.

I rode the Sabre for years then a few years ago a friend of mine bought a Goldwing. He also used to ride a Sabre. He let me take it for a ride and well, I had to have one. We later took a road trip in Vegas for three days and since it was winter I decided to rent a bike. I looked all over for a Goldwing because I wanted to be sure that is the bike I wanted. I figured a three-day road trip would help me decide. After the rode trip I knew I was going to get one, but how? The price for a new one was way more then I could pay. I always bought my bikes new but realized if I wanted a Goldwing, it was going to have to be used.

I finally found one with the miles and price I was looking for. I wanted a level 3 but after searching for a while, I knew that was not going to happen.
2007 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:26 am

Who made me buy a Goldwing?
My buddy made me buy it when he said
"I'll sell it to you for $400." :lol:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

MICK MACK
Motorcycle: 85 GL 1200 A

Post by MICK MACK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:08 pm

I am not what most ppl would call..."small" so a Vespa just WOULD NOT DO, nor would a 500....600... 700...; I talked to the motorcycle mechanic and he simply stated, "nothing smaller than a 1200" and he was right, I don't to look like a bear on a tricycle, its been done... by others; it is NOT A PRETTY SIGHT. Yes, the Mc Creary brothers went across the country on Honda Trail 70's/ 90's to prove Honda's reliability (50 miles a day... ~825# riders), I don't think I want to repeat the feat ;)

waited for 3 months, looking at the CL ad's, found one in my price range, went to go see it, looked ok, price was ok, started right up, ran well, a little ruff and tuff from being out in the sun, general neglect (needed tires/brakes/differential oil filled/changed, fork seals rebuilt... odometer didn't work, I didn't notice that when I bought it, I was SO TIRED when I bought it being up for 24 hours a person does not notice "little" things), but it starts and runs fine... so far so good. a little PM's here and there and hopefully it will last the rest of my riding days. pretty simple,

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:03 am

The Goldwing is the motorcycle I can spend the most time on comfortably. Most bang for the buck.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Post by mweddy@gmail.com » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:28 pm

My friend bought one, so I had to keep up with the joneses.

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 am

As soon as I rode my Gl1000 on a tour of 4 states I was hooked. Now i bought a GL1500 for this years trip. I am so happy with the comfort and it's so easy to ride compared to the gl1000. Look out, I'm ready for a gathering and new adventures.