Goldwing Wannabes

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Goldwing Wannabes

Post by golden highway » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:40 am

Although the flat engine part is correct BMW didn't launch a luxury touring motocycle until 1978. As nice as the BMW'S are they have been plagued with reliability issue to this day. They are hard to work on and hard to maintain.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 am

What about the Douglass motorcycle ,produced 1905 to 1957. It was originally the F'ee motorcycle. So are we third generation wannabes?
" Riding on Tulsa Time "

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:06 pm

golden highway wrote:Although the flat engine part is correct BMW didn't launch a luxury touring motocycle until 1978. As nice as the BMW'S are they have been plagued with reliability issue to this day. They are hard to work on and hard to maintain.
The first Gold wing launched was a street machine with a flat engine and a shaft drive and no farkles, not even a wind shield. The Goldwing purchased tomorrow will have a flat engine and shaft drive with a multitude of farkles. I added the trike farkle to mine to extend my face into the wind time.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:13 am

I'm a WannaBe..... I wannaBe riding my bike... :)

tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

Post by tylers883 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:19 pm

My 81 gl1100 interstate draws a lot of smiles from true motorcycle enthusiasts. IMO, there is no shortage of Harley owners that come over to say hello. To say that Harley owners are snobs? Well I don't agree.

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:38 am

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:04 am

Jim1 wrote:"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Sorry!........Zen and the etc. etc. etc. The most snoring book I ever read.
"Assume Nothing"

goldfish75
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda GL 1000

Post by goldfish75 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Harley Davidson is very good at selling a lifestyle. Some Harley stores don't even have Bikes for sale. They all the Harley gear but if you want to buy a bike they'll have to order it in. In many categories there is so many bikes out there that blows Harley out the water, touring the goldwing and BMW are the best choices , performance and speed any japaneese bikes will beat HD and there is dependability ... well HD is not a very dependable motorcycle. again, Harley Davidson is a lifestyle company.

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:06 am

Whisky
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
2002 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

Post by Whisky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:03 am

The people who say, it is not a bike. It is a motorcycle. Do not have any knowledge of the history of where they came from. They were in the beginning a motorized bicycle. So when you say nice bike. You are going back to the time when they were the real deal. The other thing is the attitude of Harley riders. They do not have any respect to others out there and to their safety. They never go any further then the next bar down the road and their bikes are way too loud. I have to laugh also. When they have them that loud. I stop at a gas station the other day on my usual 300 mile run. This man pulled up on his Harley and it sounded like there was no muffler on it. The idle was so ruff I was expecting it to die any minute with out his assist in the throttle. I thought to myself. Wow, I am glad I do not have to hear that noise ridding three hundred miles or endure the pain of the little solo seat.

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Post by Spook1800 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Whisky wrote:The people who say, it is not a bike. It is a motorcycle. Do not have any knowledge of the history of where they came from. They were in the beginning a motorized bicycle. So when you say nice bike. You are going back to the time when they were the real deal. The other thing is the attitude of Harley riders. They do not have any respect to others out there and to their safety. They never go any further then the next bar down the road and their bikes are way too loud. I have to laugh also. When they have them that loud. I stop at a gas station the other day on my usual 300 mile run. This man pulled up on his Harley and it sounded like there was no muffler on it. The idle was so ruff I was expecting it to die any minute with out his assist in the throttle. I thought to myself. Wow, I am glad I do not have to hear that noise ridding three hundred miles or endure the pain of the little solo seat.
Ha, I know from where you come, Whisky. I have two Wings and a Harley Road King, which is a touring bike also with the setup I have. It DOES NOT make a lot of noise like the Harley wannabe riders' bikes with their slash cut straight out pipes and horrible seats. I have a touring seat, rider and passenger back rests, pegs and bars set up for me alone. I have to laugh at the wankers on their Harley Breakouts and the like which cannot by any stretch of the imagination be comfortable to ride. They do after all only have to get from bar to bar or alternatively from latte to latte and could not comfortably knock over a 500 mile day without being a cripple at the end of said day. They do in their own minds look tough though! Don't knock all Harleys though as there are those of us who have comfortable tourers in the brand and they are not the same wanker bikes as those of which you write.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Well I guess I just don't FIT. I own and RIDE 1986 GL1200A and 2014 HD Breakout. Both were purchased new with a specific purpose. The Wing is for touring (primarily) the Breakout for hot rodding around on my own. I am consistently putting 2 up miles on the Wing seeing the countryside and enjoy waving at all that pass by. I'm fairly consistently roaring around the backroads of TX having a great time and waving at all that pass by. I've ridden with the bar hopping types (not really my thing) but still do on occasion on either bike and haven't been told to go away. I've ridden the Wing and the Breakout with the HOG local chapter and haven't been told to go away either (local chapter doesn't allow drinking and driving while on chapter rides (after, different story) and a nice group of folks that like to ride some where). Ride with another group that rides every type bike, could be short or long rides, could be on either bike and haven't been told to go away. So my conclusion is that there must be something wrong with me? Cause I'll ride by Breakout around 300 miles in a day and enjoy the hell out of it, one of these days I'll find out just how far I can go (wife taps out around 200) and it's noisy and vibrates and I love it! Conversely we'll load up the Wing and ride 500 to 600 miles a day on a trip (shorter is better, just depends on the mood) and it's quite and smooth and I love it!

To end, my signature line is how I look at motorcycling and believe we are all individuals and that whatever you chose to ride that is what makes us a community and if you want to piss and moan about what someone else chooses to ride, I don't have time for you, I'll be out riding!
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Post by Spook1800 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 pm

You have a noice day, Mike.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:19 pm

I wonder! Could this fellow possibly be the original "Goldwing Wannabe?"

"Assume Nothing"

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:16 pm

On of the issues with HDs is th act that to meet the emission standards for Canada and various US States, HD has to choke the dayightsotof the engines making its bikes them as efficient as possible/practical. Once a person buys one, that person wants a bike that is efficient and performs, hence the need to do changes to accomplish this. If HD were to retool the engine so that it was efficient and performed straight out of the box, there would be less change and less noise out there. In defence of HD as a business, why would you change your business model when you have one that is working quite well for you and brings in huge amounts of cash.

I agree with julimike54, it's about the ride not the destination regardless of the horse you are on.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:47 pm

RE: HD- ..and per recent news- HD was fined by our wonderful EPA for selling performance 'kits' that don't meet EPA standards once installed on ROAD bikes- off-road? so--- ya gotta ride your FLHTCUI on the dirt road for a little ways?

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Solina Dave wrote:I wonder! Could this fellow possibly be the original "Goldwing Wannabe?"
Goldwing Wannabee.jpg

LOL, now THAT'S funny. you could call it a mini GOOSE WING.

stuart.

Engel6264
Motorcycle: 2000SE 1500

Post by Engel6264 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:34 am

themainviking wrote:Actually, Goldwings were made in Ohio right up through 2010 model. During the move back to Japan, there was no 2011 model and the first new ones out of the Japanese facility were the 2012s. As far as Harley Davidson parts from otherwhere, the starters are Japanese, the carburetors are Japanese, the front forks are Japanese, and a lot of the little electrical parts are made in Japan, China and Indonesia, such as ignition modules, voltage regulators, circuit breakers, relays and probably even coils. They experimented with some foreign made brake calipers, but I do not know if they continued them into the present. The only argument that made sense as to buying Harley instead of Honda was the one made by the economists. Harley Davidson profits remained in the U.S. but Honda profits went to Japan. I do not know how accurate that statement is, but it seems like it might be correct. For me - either bike is an import, as I do not live in the U.S., and both, when I bought any of mine, were imports from the U.S., Canada's biggest trade partner. We have the same attitudes amongst our Harley riders here, who do not seem to understand that their Harleys are imports, :lol: The attitudes generally begin about fifteen minutes after the purchase of said Harley. Any of the old time Harley riders, who have been bikers their entire lives, are okay with Goldwings and actually admit their superiority to the Harley line. Sonny Barger himself wrote in a book that if Honda had made the bikes that they make now (size wise), the Hells might be riding Honda bikes. When the Hells formed, Honda made 90 cc and smaller, and probably none were available in the U.S. at that time anyway. I believe the first bike of any size Honda made was the 1969 750-4. I could be wrong on the year by one or two. Harley was making 1200 cc bikes back in the 1940s.
As a Engineer I designed so many things for vehicles and so many people thought they were made in USA.... Alot of things are assembled here only...
Harleys are so outsourced .

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 pm

Harley or Honda? Ford or Chevy? Who cares? The best thing of all is that in North America, it's freedom of choice. Buy and ride what you want. I don't like loud vibrating bikes, others do. To each his own.

All I DO know is that when I am in Wyoming and I have 800 miles ahead of me to get home (have to do it in 1 day) and it's 50F and rain forecasted, the Luxury Touring Goldwing is the only motorcycle I want to be riding to get me through. I did it 2 months ago and the rain was great, it washed all the dead bugs off the bike and I didn't even need to have my rainsuit on!

Ride hard, ride fast.

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:57 am

Harley or Honda? Ford or Chevy? Who cares? The best thing of all is that in North America, it's freedom of choice.

This is true we all have the freedom of choice but we need to learn how to make the right choice. When making our choice good or bad we need to consider what effect our choice has on others and what is socially correct. If you are buying a touring motocycle our ruler ....I mean government should make your free choice a goldwing. Just kidding I know we all learn from our mistakes and eventually make the right decision and buy a goldwing. Of course we will first add a windshield and saddlebags to some two wheeled vehicle before we make the decision.

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 am

I wanted a goldwing when they first came out. To much money but said I would have one, one day.
When my mother passed away, she left me a little money, told the wife I'm going to buy a goldwing.
A good reminder of how blessed I was with the parents God let me have. I miss them dearley.
I've enjoyed this bike more than any that I've owned and I've have owned a few.

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Post by Grindl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:58 am

Being a former custom builder ( Chopper ) , and having worked in several shops around Phoenix back in the "Bad ole days", I've collected a small following of loyal H-D riders who still bring their bikes over for maintenance , and smaller jobs . I had to run up to the local H-D Stealer-ship for some parts the other day , and when I came out , there was a small crowd around my A-cade , of obviously H-D riders . I spent the next fifteen minutes answering all the normal questions about the bikes age , mileage , mpg , etc.etc.etc .
They were the "New" generation riders , who were astounded that any bike would go over 500,000 miles , and in total awe that someone could ride from Phx. to Albq. with just gas & a couple coffee stops in one day . It's only about 540 miles or so . When I told them I had sold my 78 GL-1000 with 964,000 on it , and it was still being ridden by it's new owner , one guy exclaimed , "BS" . At which point I turned my key on so he could see the 568,000 on my current odometer . My reply was a simple one . Any more comments , Moron ? I threw a leg over , fired up , lit a smoke , and rode away laughing . They aren't "Wanna-bes" , they just don't know any better . That's all .

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Grindl wrote:...When I told them I had sold my 78 GL-1000 with 964,000 on it , and it was still being ridden by it's new owner , one guy exclaimed , "BS" . At which point I turned my key on so he could see the 568,000 on my current odometer . My reply was a simple one . Any more comments , Moron ? I threw a leg over , fired up , lit a smoke , and rode away laughing . They aren't "Wanna-bes" , they just don't know any better . That's all .
I wonder if the non-believer was thinking Oodometer tampering"? But then most tampering is done to show less mileage.
I work with a hard core Harley owner who rarely rides his "American" bike to work. But that's because it is always in the shop!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Post by Grindl » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 pm

You mean the H-D owners who proudly display their "Drive-way Jewelry" , for the world to see they have a "motor-rickle" ? Know a few of those types , too .

And boy ; do they get butt-hurt and pissy when I explain to them that my A-cade was built in Marysville , Ohio . And is more American-made , than their H-D . You can see the smoke rolling out the ears .....I love it . :lol:

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:47 pm

A friend of mine has his and her Harley's and took them in for regular maintanance. The shop called and gave them the list of needed repairs. Seems things like seals in the motor are regular maintenance. This isn't the first time this work was done. I have had my Goldwing about the same number of years and have only done real regular maintenance like oil change, air filter, tires and cleaning