GWRRA Members ???

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links

What do you think of GWRRA?

I like it fine the way things are, they're going in the right direction
7%
Wing World is one big advertisement
16%
Wing Ding is a huge money grab
15%
I'm not a member, and don't care to be
11%
I appreciate the ads in Wing World, I like seeing products that are available for my bike
14%
I can't stand all the expanding trike coverage in Wing World
9%
I won't be renewing my membership
6%
I love my local chapter, that's what it's all about
13%
I look forward to Wing Ding all year
2%
I'm only a member for the Gold Book/Rescue Plus
7%

Total votes: 683

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Re: GWRRA Members ???

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Define GWRRA: Snooty. Politically high strung.

When I got back into riding bikes (1983 Aspencade), I looked up GWRRA online and read through several web postings. What they want you to do, what they expect you to wear and what they want (demand?) out of you, Oy-Vey! No thanks... "I gotta be me".

I have absolutely no interest in being part of a 'cookie cutter' image.
"IMAGE",... sounds familiar?

Mind you, it's pretty much the very opposite of the V-Twin crowd, that's fine if that's what your into. I simply don't need to be around folks who expect you to follow, act and dress like they expect you to, that's a dictatorship. If you're not like them, you're not in there "Click". For them, that's fine. Me, I'll pass.
To me I am safer riding without a helmet and when I'm required to it's a 1/2 helmet (beanie).

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

spiderjack
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by spiderjack » Thu May 14, 2015 9:02 am

I joined GWRRA because it sounded like it would be fun meeting new people who were interested in Wings.

Here is my experience, and why I decided to no longer be a member:

- The organization as a whole seems to be very political, and very unstable, with frequent, unexpected changes in leadership as well as frequent changes in direction. They are focused more on member drives, fundraising, awards, presidents, chapters and the whole administration and bureaucracy far more than they are on motorcycles!!!

- The members are almost universally older clones. And by this, I mean the majority are all 50+ years old, almost universally overweight/obese, wear the "uniform" of vests covered with pins and patches, and ride the latest GL1800's.

Typical GWRRA members (clones)
Typical GWRRA members (clones)

- "Rides" generally consist of a 1-2 hour ride to a nearby town to get some ice cream and shop for antiques, then a 1-2 hour ride home, because that's the maximum length of ride that these older people can tolerate.

- Riding with them is beyond dull. You line up and follow the clone in front of you, following the rules and hand signals to make sure nobody gets out of line. Riding pace is slow, dictated by the slowest, least capable rider. Wonderful sweeping turns and hills are taken at a boring, overly-cautious pace due to lack of riding skills.

- Meetings consist of long and boring bureaucratic news reports and pleas for more help with leadership and fund-raising, and talk about planning trips that never happen, followed by a ride to yet another ice cream shop.

- Half of the organization and most of the magazine are dedicated to the huge money-making "Wing Ding" convention which is again, dull, uninteresting and small, filled with more clones.

- GWRRA itself is a private, for-profit organization with no transparency or accountability to its members. Where is the money going? Where is it being spent? Nobody knows.

- The members look down upon anyone not riding the latest, greatest Goldwing. GL1500 owners are mildly tolerated, GL1100 and GL1200 owners are positively shunned.

Overall I found the benefits to me were virtually nil, and I really didn't care to waste $55 a year on the membership. I prefer to ride to my own choice of destinations (which don't involve ice cream or antique shopping), at my own pace, on my own schedule. The magazine is worthless, the articles just glorify more of the clones, and present very little in the way of useful information. I don't want to wear tacky vests covered in pins and badges. I prefer to wear proper protective gear, and (gasp) a helmet, unlike the members I encountered. I also prefer to associate more with people of my own age, not those 20-25 years older than me who carry 100 extra pounds around and have trouble throwing a leg over their bikes.

So GWRRA is definitely not for me.

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
2003 GL1800
2006 GL1800 Motor Trike w/2008 Lees-ure Lite

Post by NKYWinger » Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am

Sounds like you need to try a different Chapter. The people in my Chapter (KY-G) are the opposite of what you've described.
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'06 GL1800 Motor Trike
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:41 am

What he said! I joined up this spring to see what it was like. I have not yet attended a meeting as the closest chapter is an hours ride away and meetings are held on a week day early evening. I still haven't received a magazine.
As to what the Spider said; Don't be so negative about old people! I will be 70 this year and I would bet I ride more miles in a year than most. My 88 Goldwing went a little more than 13000 miles last year, My 99 has been ridden a bit more than 7000 miles since last September when I finally got it home. No long trips on it. I have two other bikes that in total got a little more than 7000 miles put on them last year. So don't put a "one size fits all label " on GWRRA or older riders, because in both cases it just ain't true.....
Bill

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 14, 2015 10:06 am

Several years ago, wasn't there an attempt to start a different kind of GWRRA? Using different initials of coarse. One that catered to the NORMAL riders.

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Post by NKYWinger » Thu May 14, 2015 10:23 am

FM-USA wrote: One that catered to the NORMAL riders.
[/Are you trying to say that those of us who enjoy the camaraderie of like minded bike riders are NOT normal? We camp, we go to Alaska, we ride.....we have fun...what's wrong with that? We have about 50 active in our Chapter and we do lots of things. Yes, the meetings are structured; they have to be. Big deal. The fun is in the riding...
It sounds like, no matter what, you are dead set against GWRRA. No probs- I just happen to like it....

Peace out.
i]
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'06 GL1800 Motor Trike
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 14, 2015 10:35 am

NKYWinger wrote:
FM-USA wrote: One that catered to the NORMAL riders.
[/Are you trying to say that those of us who enjoy the camaraderie of like minded bike riders are NOT normal? We camp, we go to Alaska, we ride.....we have fun...what's wrong with that? We have about 50 active in our Chapter and we do lots of things. Yes, the meetings are structured; they have to be. Big deal. The fun is in the riding...
It sounds like, no matter what, you are dead set against GWRRA. No probs- I just happen to like it....

Peace out.
i]

PLEASE READ the previous posts to this BEFORE jumping to conclusions.
I'm not copy/paste everything written just to COVER the one who thinks there is a problem.

What I posted previously are MY opinions of what GWRRA is about, others have there say. When are you going to post against them, of am I special?

I said nothing about camping, which I do alone and with a group (also called camaraderie).
I said nothing about meeting being unstructured, don't ADD something I never said.
I ride to have fun and to go places and meet others who have the same passions.

Not sure why you're so upset over something I NEVER SAID, unless, are you baiting for confrontation?
So you like GWRRA, good for you but I'm not condoning you for it.... now am I.

To each there own choices, in this land of Freedom.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

I think there are many reasons to not like GWRRA. I have a hard time with the vests and pins and patches. I also wonder where the money goes? As far as Wing Ding, where are the rides?

But there are some pluses I really like. One is the roadside assistance program, Rescue Plus. Is it the best value for the money? Good question, I suspect the AMA's is a better value but does not cover the towing a far. I never worried about this because I rode for years without realizing such services exist. Now it is like a tool in the pocket if needed.

Wing Ding has its weaknesses, but it also has its strengths to include the opportunity to see so many Gold Wings in one place and see how different riders have accessorized their bikes. And then there is the vendor show where many of the better aftermarket suppliers show up and show their wares and even do installs. If you are looking for new stuff this is one of the best places to go and then there is Americade. You can try helmets, jackets, pants on to get the right fit. You can test helmet speaker systems. The stuff is right there for you.

Each Chapter is different and has different ways of doing some things but I have found that every chapter has at least one guy who is a knowledgeable guru for working on Wings.

Another often forgotten asset is the Gold Book with members all over the place that you can call for help, guidance, or just to get together and have a cup of coffee. I had a problem a couple years ago and called a number of a person close by. He had sold his Wing and quit riding but he still gave me the info I was looking for and that really helped me get my Wing fixed and back on the road.

Like any organization GWRRA is far from perfect but it does meet many needs.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Blinky
Motorcycle: 1992 Gl1500A Aspencade

Post by Blinky » Thu May 14, 2015 1:57 pm

"then a 1-2 hour ride home, because that's the maximum length of ride that these older people can tolerate."

Really Jack? Out of the mouth of babes. I guess I need to stop taking those two week road trips. Thanks for the insight.
You don't need to tell me 12 times. Eleven usually does it.

bstig60
2007 ST1300
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Yeah! Me too! I have a 6 week trip coming up...... guess he is just jealous!
Bill

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Few weeks ago ran down to Florida on the bike hauling my trailer.
Left Thurs returned the following Tues.

Roughly 3100 miles in 4.75 days. Included riding through a near tornado storm.
Not bad for "THIS OLD FART".

Now,.... where did I put that Raspberry?

chalfast
Motorcycle: 1994 goldwing gl1500A Trike

Post by chalfast » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:52 pm

GWRRA member 4 yrs .Yes mag is dissapointing .Was much better 2 yrs ago . Mostly read new products and Stu`s tech section . LOVE LOCAL CHAPTER I ride with 2 locals .many friends in both .Wouldn`t get that much riding otherwise. :P

bsavulis
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 Aspencade

Post by bsavulis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Wife and I just came back from our first time ever Wing Ding. We rode our new to us 1999 1500 from N.East CT to Huntsville. Great ride, but kind of hot. I was eager to go, being to Americare an number of times, I could not wait to go on all the organized rides throughout the area. WOW WERE WE DISSAPOINTED. Beside spending money at the vendor expo there was not much to do. The poker run was the only organized ride. You can only walk around that expo so many times before you are bored. In fact the wife and I left a day early! I should have started that we were back from our first and LAST Wing Ding. I am sure I will also not join the GWRRA again. I am not sure there is any value there.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:36 pm

In just this thread seems to be more negatives to GWRRA than positives.
Seems fewer people are UNhappy with it over the last several years.
This begets...
Maybe a different kind of GoldWing gathering could/should be started for the 48 States. One that caters to the real Over the Road Goldwing Riders of America. hummm, ORGRA .. not sure of that one. ;)
Last edited by FM-USA on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bstig60
2007 ST1300
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:42 pm

The only reason I subscribe to the GWRRA is for the Gold Book. I don't have a local chapter and the magazine is mostly advertising. IMHO, GWRRA is all about money and not much about the riders. It seems for everything there is a fee..........
Bill

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Post by NKYWinger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I guess I belong to a different GWRRA than a lot of the previous posters...we had 24 Chapter members (KY-G) camping out for the whole week during Wing Ding...we had a great time. The party at the Space Center was free and quite a surprise! The city went out of their way to make us feel at home.
I went to a number of seminars and thought (unlike many previous posters) that there were many vendors there... we were well pleased and are already planning the long ride to Billings next year.Our Chapter is active and rides every week. We just returned from a 600 mile trip to visit the last of the other KY Chapters (9 total).
The organization is not for everyone, as indicated by all the negative posts already made, but for us anyway, it's a great bunch of like minded people that like to ride...

--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'06 GL1800 Motor Trike
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Post by crock4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I guess my experiences with GWRRA falls somewhere in the middle of the posted opinions. I have belonged for a number years. The magazine has turned a little too commercial, with the exception of the workbench section. The local chapter I didn't like. I went to one of their functions, and pretty much got the cold shoulder, so didn't go back. They now have some new leadership though, so may give them another try. As far as the comment about the members being old, and overweight. That pretty much describes me, but does not define me. I don't care for large group rides either. It takes some of the relaxing fun out of the ride. For me one or two others is more enjoyable. I have not attended a Wingding yet, but would like to when time, and finances allow. The poster who suggested another organization. One that would appeal more to the other half that don't want to belong to GWRRA. Well, I think that's a great idea for those that that are so dissatisfied with GWRRA. I will continue to be a member, and enjoy the parts that I like until something better comes along.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:20 pm

FM-USA wrote:In just this thread seems to be more negatives to GWRRA than positives.
Seems fewer people are UNhappy with it over the last several years.
This begets...
Maybe a different kind of GoldWing gathering could/should be started for the 48 States. One that caters to the real Over the Road Goldwing Riders of America. hummm, ORGRA .. not sure of that one. ;)
ReWrite...
Seems more people are UNhappy with it over the last several years.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Post by Breakdancer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 pm

This is what makes us great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And that's what this thread is, opinions. Like, my wife likes country music. If and when I have to drive her car, I'll tell her there is some weird, strange noise coming out of it. In the direction of the SPEAKERS. :lol: Doesn't make it wrong though. The one thing that binds us is that we all have a love of motorcycles!! Just my thoughts for what its worth...Ride on 8-)
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:48 am

Breakdancer wrote:This is what makes us great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And that's what this thread is, opinions.
I'm seeing a lot of diverse outputs that point to inconsistent input variables as well.
True, there are constants from GWRRA (Wing World, Wing Ding, politics at the top), but each chapter is different.

The chapter that I belong to consistently has 50+ members at the meetings each month.
They have several rides a week and while most do end with a meal or ice cream :D, they are still out riding.
Most times there are over 20 bikes, but are broken down into small groups to better match the riding style and experience.
I have gone on only a couple of the group rides, but have met individuals through the chapter and have taken non-chapter rides with them.

Like most things, you can get out of it as little, or as much, as you want.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Post by c5cruiser » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:29 pm

I've ridin with a group before both large ( 20-45 bikes) and a smaller group (5-10 bikes) and I like riding solo, 3 of us at the most. You can get there when you want, stay as long as you like and never in a rush getting somewhere.
Just cruise you life away.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:01 am

I was a GWRRA member many years ago. I remember our chapter was active with lots of rides of various lengths and also contests of skill, one up and two up.

I remember after our weekly meetings someone was always going for a ride somewheres. Anyone was welcome or you could ride another route and maybe 2 or 3 others would ride with you. I enjoyed the time I spent as a member of the GWRRA.

My only bad memory in the GWRRA is when I traded my Goldwing for a newer model Kawasaki Voyager. Other members looked it over, made nice comments about one thing or another but the wife of our chapters president had a coniption fit!

I was going to be asked to be one of the officers of the chapter when I committed my sin. I attended a couple more meetings but got that feeling I wasn't welcome there anymore.

My real friends, still in the GWRRA, continued to ride with me but I lost all interest in being associated with the GWRRA.

Now, many years later, with another Goldwing, I have no interest in joining any motorcycle organization.
I like riding alone or with one or two others. Riding where I want to when I want to and how I want to.

I've no ill will towards the GWRRA or any other group. Just not for me at this point in my life. Also, if I see you, I'll wave. Don't care what you're riding. It's only on the interstate type highways where I might not see you.

Happy trails all! :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

rampal55
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE
1999 GL1500A Champion Trike

Post by rampal55 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 am

I am a member of GWRRA for almost two years. When I first joined I did not want to be assigned to a particular chapter. I visited several chapters and the welcome I received varied from chapter to chapter. I have also been looking for a new church to attend and transfer my membership. I have lived all over the country (military brat), been in the military myself and have experienced some to the same things some of you have encountered while looking for a new chapter and church. I have since found a chapter and church to join.
Now with that being said, there are all kinds of people out there. Those of you that have been in the military should have experienced this first hand. Now when you got to your duty station did people jump up and down for joy that you were there? Did you like everyone in the outfit? If the answer is no to either question, what did you do? Did you take your toys and go home? Did you decide that since you didn’t like someone you were not going to watch their back? I think not. You figured out the best way to fit in or you became wounded or dead
There are a couple of things to remember. If the outfit you went to was not to your liking did you even think that you might have been part of the problem? Did you even take the time to see if there was something you could have done to fix the problem? After reading some of the comments in this forum I could make some assumptions about each of you that may or may not be accurate. Should I continue to think some are whiney crybabies, jerks? My point here is this; don’t judge everyone on your first encounter. I like to think that everyone on this site is an upright person.
One last comment on the newsletter. I am too busy riding or talking about rides to read a magazine about what others are doing. When I do take the time I am usually sitting in my private library. Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:00 pm

. . . kind'a sort'a. . .

txwingman
Motorcycle: 05' GL1800
30th Anniversary model

Post by txwingman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:28 pm

rampal55, sir if you don't mind, I'll add my 2 cents worth to your 2 cents worth because I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a life member of GWRRA, been on board since I got my first Wing in 78'.
And I'd like to pass along my sincere THANKS to you for your service to our country sir. 8-)

JB Seale (txwingman)
Texas

GWRRA - Life Member
TMRA - Life Member
AMA - Life Member
IBA # 1626
N.Texas PGR