How do you handle test rides

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: How do you handle test rides

Post by redial » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 pm

If you are going to get them to sign a form, get a witness to sign the document as well, with their printed name, and address (in case it is needed later). The signing should be in front of one another, and I have heard that it is better to use the same pen by everyone. HTH

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm

redial wrote:If you are going to get them to sign a form, get a witness to sign the document as well, with their printed name, and address (in case it is needed later). The signing should be in front of one another, and I have heard that it is better to use the same pen by everyone. HTH
Perhaps a clause that waives all liability on your part, something that says they understand they are fully liable for any and all damages and/or injury to the bike, themselves and any property, waive any and all rights to sue or subrogate, and bind them to mediation instead of lawsuits.

CaptainDave
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE Goldwing

Post by CaptainDave » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:45 pm

TEST RIDE motorcycle - look over some of these points
===========================================================
Both the buyer and seller have co-created this a document in an attempt to clarify the terms/actions/liabilities of each party regarding this buying transaction – to cover any future challenges/issues ...
- (describe the bike in detail - describe the buyer and seller in detail with all contact info)
- state that you are NOT an attorney - that you are a lay-person who is simply trying to create this document that with the goal to protect the seller from any: theft - legal action - and/or accidental damage to the bike - etc ..
- the buyer is encouraged to bring a mechanic and inspect the bike for its road worthiness - the buy agrees that they have inspected the bike and deem it ok to ride/buy per their inspection
- the buy releases the seller from any and all liability and the buyer agrees not to take any legal action what-so-ever regarding anything pertaining to buying/test driving this ____________ bike this day ____
- buyer understands that the seller has described the bike he best way they know - but not to take anything for granted - the buyer should inspect any and all parts of the bike (helmets/tires/brakes/engine etc), and all other details pertaining to the safe operation of this bike - and also inspecting all the paperwork documentation as well as the title and everything to THEIR satisfaction ...
- buyer agrees that they has the PROPER licenses - permits - certifications to operate this type of bike ... and that they also have THEIR OWN vehicle INSURANCE that could cover any test rides or operation of the bike from this moment forward.
- buyer/(not the seller) is responsible for any and all motor-vehicle activities regarding this bike from this date/hour/moment, (including test drive) i.e. SPEEDING ICKETS, Parking Tickets, speed-pass hwy violations, accidents, or any other road violations relating to this bike/this transaction

- either pay up-front in order to test drive the bike.. if it works as described, we have a deal - if there is an accident, the buyer agrees to buy the bike
- the buyer agrees to ride on the back of the bike with the seller to demonstrate all things work as described
- inspect and buy as-is

both buyer and seller understand the purpose and goal of this document and agree to the terms
______ buyer __________ seller - dates ___ ___
___________ witness by
=====================================
I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY or anything - just trying to help out regarding the test drive issue
========================================
nice to meet you ... all the best ...

- come ride with us up in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains in sunny southern Calif

Captain D - retired
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Goldwing 1500SE rider

OlsonBW
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by OlsonBW » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 pm

I've tested ridden bikes at multiple dealerships and multiple brands over the years. For those that said no I said "Thanks. Now I know which dealership not to buy from." And I said it nicely.

One actually called the owner of the dealership and like dealerships that let me test ride their bikes they copied my drivers license and insurance card. They also all saw me ride my GoldWing (which is in obviously very good condition) to their dealership.

Most I didn't buy from. Those that I had no intention of buying they were happy to let me test ride anyway (non were Honda dealers). The only Honda dealers that let me test ride were ones where I was seriously considering buying from.

As for letting someone test ride. I've only sold two motorcycles.
For one I knew the person and trusted them and they didn't let me down.
For the second one I sold it through a friend of mine. The person that bought it couldn't ride but they weren't allowed to ride it until cash was in my friend's hand. They wrecked the bike about a week later and try to blame the brakes. After he repaired it and wrecked it again within a week. By then he realized he just didn't know how to ride. I didn't hear what happened after that. But is a warning to get money in hand before you let someone ride.

One suggestion might be to have them ride along in their vehicle behind and beside you and let them watch and listen to the motorcycle as you ride it and go through the gears and use the brakes.
If they have any questions after that you can answer them but still not let them ride until money changes hands.

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Kactus59 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

I just wanted to chime in with how I purchased my 98 1500SE. I saw the ad on Craigslist. The area it was advertised in was Aurora Colorado. I live in Massachusetts, Cape Cod to be a little more precise. I called the guy up and told him that from the pictures and descriptions I really wanted the bike. He hummed and hawed about wanting to sell to a local and someone that would take care of his "baby". We chatted for a while and he said that there were other inquires that were local but said he would get back in touch with me anyway to let me know if any deals went through. At that point I wrote it off and started looking again for a used, white, 97 - 99, 1500 that was in decent shape. Well just 4 days later he gets back in touch with me. He said that our long conversation over the phone that went from about the bike to just plain chatting about everything under the sun, prompted him to work with me on getting the bike to me. We set up a time through Skype to "view" the bike running and all visuals that I requested, up front and personal. He used his laptop and web camera and walked around and zoomed in on every aspect that I wanted to see! I set up the shipping service and sent him the asking price, he sent out the title in one mailer, and he even drove it to the shipping center that was about 30 miles away from his house rather than having them pick it up from his residence. After delivery he sent the keys out to me. 3 weeks later or so a truck shows up at my house and unloads my new baby! I may be just one of the lucky ones and he may have been one of the most honest people around but I am glad that it all worked out for me and I will never forget him for his extra efforts to sell his well taken care of pride and joy. Happy riding everyone!

pawpawcrawfish
Motorcycle: 2004 honda goldwing

Post by pawpawcrawfish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:39 am

:lol: great replies!Each to what works for you!Great piece of expensive equipment! No unsupervised rides.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:09 pm

I never considered the insurance going up or being sued. Good points. Good luck coming to a decision about test rides.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Post by GreenDragon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 pm

They give me their license with motorcycle endorsement. They get it and what they rode in on, whether bike, car or truck, when they get back.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Post by eacorbett@yahoo.com » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 am

I have yet to sell any bike I have bought. All I can tell you is what the seller of my current bike and I did. I am like you and will NOT buy a bike until I have given it a proper test drive. The seller had no problems allowing to test ride the bike. But here is how things went....... I drove in a truck with a trailer to trailer the bike home should I purchase the bike and I had my girlfriend with me. I also had the FULL purchase price with me in cash which I handed to him without him asking for it. This secures that if anything had happened that (1) I was going to return regardless of purchasing the bike and (2) that if something had gone wrong during the test ride that he was going to get paid and that I would own the bike. Now, as for me, I do have the correct endorcement on my license for motorcycles. Not only that but I did race professionally in the AMA Prostar in the late 90's. Even going to the world finals in Gainseville, Fl. Didn't win but made to the second round of eliminations. This would probably scare most people as they would be thinking that I would really put their ride through its paces. I am much older now and my racing days are long gone. The cash in the sellers hand did the most to put the seller at ease. SO if anyone was to ask me what I would do if someone wanted to test ride my bike? If they are serious enough about buying it then cash in hand first for me. If the buyer decides it is not the bike for him, then after a brief inspection and everything checking out I would hand him or her back their money. I believe that would fair.

tinkertoys
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000
1982 Yamaha 920 Euro

Post by tinkertoys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm

I'll pitch in my 2 cents worth on this only because I've sold a dozen or so bikes over the years. I don't send my bikes out with anyone. Period. Cash, licence, whatever.

It may sound a little sissy, but I have taken more than a few buyers out 2-up. They get to see how the bike runs and so on, without seeing "what it'll do". Never been an issue. Last one sold out for $15k. Never even got out on it.

At that particular time I am interested in selling a bike, not inviting any form of trouble. I'd be just as happy keep the bike rather than invite problems. The way I see it anyways.

eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Post by eacorbett@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I did look at a bike once where the owner was not willing to let me ride the bike myself but did offer to take me for a ride on it with him driving it. Some may say that they would never ride on the back but if they are truely interested then I really do not see why it would be that big of a deal. You can offer to take him or her for a ride but tell them you are not comfortable with letting them ride alone. This should resolve everyone's issue with whether to allow someone taking a test ride. As I said before. I WILL NOT buy a bike, PERIOD, without seeing and feeling it on the road myself. Whether I take it myself or ride on the back! If the owner is not willing to do either then he can kiss my ---! There will ALWAYS be another bike for sale!

T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Post by T=Trouble » Thu May 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Update to my previous post. I sold my 2007 HD Sportster. :cry: (I really loved that bike and hated to have to part with it. It was a fun bike AND my 1st bike.) I was prepared to ask for proof that he has a motorcycle license and for him to sign an agreement, but I got off lucky. The guy never asked to test ride it. He did have me ride it to demonstrate that it ran good. It had a single seat; so, between that and him being a male and me a female so he probably wouldn't have wanted to ride on bike anyways, that was the best option.
Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Kactus59 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 pm

T=Trouble wrote:Update to my previous post. (I really loved that bike and hated to have to part with it. It was a fun bike AND my 1st bike.)
It is always tough to let go of the one that seems to fit you like a well worn pair of jeans. I too let go of my '86 1100 shadow after I purchased my GW 1500 SE. I rode that bike like it was part of me, but after getting accustomed to the new bigger bike, I found that it seemed like I was trying to ride a mini bike when I took it out for a spin. There's just something about riding the wing that keeps that "pang" a distant memory! The good thing about selling the old one is being able to use some of that money for some new accessories! Glad you had a good sales experience. Happy riding!

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Post by smilam » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Here is the update on my 2004 Sportster. I sold it yesterday to a young man. I had called my insurance agent about how I was covered if somebody wanted to take it for a test ride and he told me that my bike would be covered with my standard deductible but there would be no medical coverage. That sealed the deal for me there was going to be no test rides as I was not going to take a chance on somebody sueing me. This young man bought a cashiers check with him as he was sure he was going to buy it after seeing the pictures and texting with me. He looked it over and listened to it then handed over the check. I told him it was all his and he could ride it all he wanted. He had a friend ride it first and then he took it for a ride and when he got back I signed over the title and helped him load it in the back of his truck. He had planned on riding it home but it was misting and in the 40's. I did have one person that decided not to come look at it if he couldn't test ride it which was fine with me.
Steve