motorcycle windshield wiper

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: motorcycle windshield wiper

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:21 pm

well, it was "back to the drawing board" so to speak with the windshield washer. I had to do a little reconfiguring with the water tube. I didn't like the way it looked running up from the front of the fairing to the wiper arm and zip tied to the blade. it looked sloppy and unfinished, so I gave it some thought and went out and bought a car hood washer spray nozzle, you know, those little things that are mounted on car hoods that the water comes out of and connected one of them to where I have the hole in the windshield garnish, connected it with double sided tape, sealed with liquid tape and it works better. now there's no hose showing and everything is hidden inside the fairing. looks nice and neat this way. and now that I have my camera fixed, tomorrow I'll try to take some pics of the what's where's and how I did everything.

stuart.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:49 am

good morning people.

ok, heres the finished product. pic # 1 is the water bottle inside the left fairing pocket. I cut the bottom of the pocket out so I could put the bottle inside and use the stock snap cover to conceal it. pic # 2 is of the water tube running thru the fairing to the hole drilled in the windshield garnish. pic # 3 is the water spray nozzle attached to the face of the windshield garnish just above the Honda name plate. pic # 4 is the water sprayed onto the windshield. pic # 5 is the wiper cleaning the water off of the windshield. pic #6 is the cleaned windshield. pic # 7 is the view from where the rider sits. pic # 8 is the toggle switch mounted on the lower left side of the fairing to activate the washer pump. I might change this switch out and go with a horn button so that once its pressed, it will turn on and automatically stop when released instead of having to toggle the switch to the off position. everything is tucked away and hidden so it looks nice and neat. pretty cool huh.

and that's how I dood it.

stuart.
Attachments

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Post by Mspinner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Not bad, not bad. Hope it works out well for you. It's fun tinkering and coming up with practical solutions right?

Mspinner

Post by Mspinner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:10 pm

It doesn't look like your getting that last inch of your wiper on the top. Or not seated enough

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm

hey Mspinner.

thanks. yeah, I like to do things that makes something work better or practical, plus it's an added safety feature and it adds value to the bike if I ever decide to sell it. it took some thinking and doing, but I got-er-done lol. I don't need the top 1 inch to clean because where the wiper goes across is exactly in my line-of-sight. as long as that area is clean, I don't care about the rest of it. that's what I love about this oversized windshield. its large enough to see thru and I don't get any wind buffeting in my face. the only wind I feel is from either side. im thinking about putting wind deflectors on the sides of the windshield and on the lower sides of the fairing.

my next "thing to do", before I have it painted is try to install an electric power radio antenna :D. it might fit inside one of the saddle bags or inside the trunk, or maybe have it mounted on the inside of the fairing and have it work that when I turn the motor or radio on it extends and when I shut the radio or motor off, it retracts. not sure which way to go with it yet. if I put it inside the saddlebag, I have to figure out a way to be able to open the lid without interfering or bending the antenna. same if I mount it inside the trunk. just one of the many ideas I have for this bike.

ok, im going to make a new posting in a couple of minutes about a new problem I just discovered.

stuart.

glk17l
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A
1993 1500SE
1982 450CM
1974 360CL

Post by glk17l » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Sounds logical, but how long does it take for the blade to serverely streak and wear marks into the plastic windshield?

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:39 pm

hey glk:

well, we've had a lot of rain here lately and I've been using it a lot, and so far it hasn't left any marks on the windshield. after I used my Hondaline cleaner/polisher on it, it showed no signs of scratches, streaks or ware marks, in fact, I went and bought a different type of blade made of a softer compound and it glides over the windshield without pressing down against it. but your right, only time will tell. if it works without damaging the windshield for at least a year, I'll be happy with that. if I have to replace it next year, I'll worry about that when the time comes. in the mean time, I have something on my bike that makes it much safer to see in the rain and that's what counts.

Tomorrow I have to redesign the water bottle. im finding that it's a little too small as in it doesn't hold enough water. im gonna have to go with something a little bigger, like a qt bottle instead of the pint bottle that's on it now. this washer pushes out the water so fast it empties the bottle to quick. or, :idea: I could put a 2 liter bottle in one of my saddlebags and run the water hose thru it and snake it thru the frame to where I have the hose inside the fairing. not only would that work, but I would get my fairing storage pocket back.

stuart.

LOMLC
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by LOMLC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:59 pm

I read with interest all the posts on the windshield wiper. My question is related. It is about riding in the rain. Are there any issues with the bike getting wet? the controls? etc. I used to ride my bike year round many years ago (a Honda Dream) and didn't have any problems, however, I didn't take as good care of it as I do of my Wing. I have only ridden in a sprinkle so far (and apparently the prior owner only got caught in the rain once). The bike looks like new and I want to keep it that way. Any thoughts. Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:02 pm

LOMLC wrote:I read with interest all the posts on the windshield wiper. My question is related. It is about riding in the rain. Are there any issues with the bike getting wet? the controls? etc. I used to ride my bike year round many years ago (a Honda Dream) and didn't have any problems, however, I didn't take as good care of it as I do of my Wing. I have only ridden in a sprinkle so far (and apparently the prior owner only got caught in the rain once). The bike looks like new and I want to keep it that way. Any thoughts. Thanks.
As long as you don't ride under a waterfall, you'll be fine. I've ridden my GL1500 in an absolute, torrential downpour for hours, and it just keeps going, no problems at all.

cuyler2
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100, 1984 gl1200 aspencade,1989 gl1500 1983 gl1100 building

Post by cuyler2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:09 am

think jeep,old jeep try e-bay.
think marine, again e-bay. parts geek 110deg. self closing.
don't think golf cart windshield wipers.
rear window van,suv

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 am

I have only 1 complaint about riding mine in the rain.......as soon as the motor gets wet it wants to shut down every time. and when it does, I remove the plug wires, dry them out with a paper towel, put them back on and the bike starts up, misses, spits, backfires, runs like crap for a few miles then settles down and runs right. personally I think its a design flaw the way they have these plugs and wires right out in the open where they are susceptible to the elements. believe it or not, my 81 silverwing did the same thing. makes it very dangerous when im out on the interstate and this bike wants to shut down while im in traffic.

stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:22 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:I have only 1 complaint about riding mine in the rain.......as soon as the motor gets wet it wants to shut down every time. and when it does, I remove the plug wires, dry them out with a paper towel, put them back on and the bike starts up, misses, spits, backfires, runs like crap for a few miles then settles down and runs right. personally I think its a design flaw the way they have these plugs and wires right out in the open where they are susceptible to the elements. believe it or not, my 81 silverwing did the same thing. makes it very dangerous when im out on the interstate and this bike wants to shut down while im in traffic.

stuart.
It's usually worn wires/caps or dirt in the wells that does this. My 1100, with new-ish caps and wires never missed a beat even in the pouring rain.

My snow blower has a similar flaw, where the wire and plug are sitting right on top. If snow blows on top of it (which it does), it melts on the hot motor and then pools around the plug. The thing then starts missing and backfiring. Stupid design.

Mspinner

Post by Mspinner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:I have only 1 complaint about riding mine in the rain.......as soon as the motor gets wet it wants to shut down every time. and when it does, I remove the plug wires, dry them out with a paper towel, put them back on and the bike starts up, misses, spits, backfires, runs like crap for a few miles then settles down and runs right. personally I think its a design flaw the way they have these plugs and wires right out in the open where they are susceptible to the elements. believe it or not, my 81 silverwing did the same thing. makes it very dangerous when im out on the interstate and this bike wants to shut down while im in traffic.

stuart.
I wonder if those aftermarket plug covers would help? the chrome ones i see on some bikes? Might help with keeping some of the water from pooling.

Mspinner

Post by Mspinner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:04 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey glk:

well, we've had a lot of rain here lately and I've been using it a lot, and so far it hasn't left any marks on the windshield. after I used my Hondaline cleaner/polisher on it, it showed no signs of scratches, streaks or ware marks, in fact, I went and bought a different type of blade made of a softer compound and it glides over the windshield without pressing down against it. but your right, only time will tell. if it works without damaging the windshield for at least a year, I'll be happy with that. if I have to replace it next year, I'll worry about that when the time comes. in the mean time, I have something on my bike that makes it much safer to see in the rain and that's what counts.

Tomorrow I have to redesign the water bottle. im finding that it's a little too small as in it doesn't hold enough water. im gonna have to go with something a little bigger, like a qt bottle instead of the pint bottle that's on it now. this washer pushes out the water so fast it empties the bottle to quick. or, :idea: I could put a 2 liter bottle in one of my saddlebags and run the water hose thru it and snake it thru the frame to where I have the hose inside the fairing. not only would that work, but I would get my fairing storage pocket back.

stuart.
ok now...i got one of these for a gag gift a couple x-mas's ago cuz i tend to not hold liquids as well as most... :D . google " stadium buddy" might be what your looking for for a holder for your washer fluid. just a thought

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:03 pm

wingadmin..... the plug wells are clean, I guess I can foresee new wires and caps in the not so distant future lol.......Mspinner, that's something I'll check into including the chrome spark plug covers. who knows, they all might work better than what I have now.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 pm

this is to wingadmin.......I want to thank you very much for selecting me and my bike for being featured your monthly Goldwingdocs news letter for my innovative windshield wiper and my home built motorized windshield wiper washer in your "Featured This Month on GoldwingDocs.com" I was very surprised when I started reading your monthly news article, which by the way are very useful and informative. I almost jumped out of my desk chair when I saw the article along with the windshield wiper photo. my wife also says to tell you "thank you". who knows, maybe if someone wants this done on their bikes this might be as useful for them as it is for me, but only time will tell on how this wiper will affect the windshield, but for now, it works great and it REALLY makes a huge difference riding in the rain. being able to see in the rain is so much safer now with this motorized windshield wiper. the NTSB should make these mandatory on all new touring and cruiser bikes just for the safety factor alone. so what if it costs a few hundred dollars more, its worth every penny if it something that might save your life.

regards,

stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:this is to wingadmin.......I want to thank you very much for selecting me and my bike for being featured your monthly Goldwingdocs news letter for my innovative windshield wiper and my home built motorized windshield wiper washer in your "Featured This Month on GoldwingDocs.com" I was very surprised when I started reading your monthly news article, which by the way are very useful and informative. I almost jumped out of my desk chair when I saw the article along with the windshield wiper photo. my wife also says to tell you "thank you". who knows, maybe if someone wants this done on their bikes this might be as useful for them as it is for me, but only time will tell on how this wiper will affect the windshield, but for now, it works great and it REALLY makes a huge difference riding in the rain. being able to see in the rain is so much safer now with this motorized windshield wiper. the NTSB should make these mandatory on all new touring and cruiser bikes just for the safety factor alone. so what if it costs a few hundred dollars more, its worth every penny if it something that might save your life.
I thought it was interesting and unique, and that people would like to have a look at it. Seems to be the case, as over a thousand people have now read your postings about it. :)

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:09 am

good morning wingadmin:

your right, its definitely different and unique. im glad a lot of riders are checking it out from here, maybe it will get some of them to purchase and install one on their wings, or what ever else they ride so they too can feel a little safer while riding in the rain. its amazing, everywhere I go, when I park it, im always getting people coming up to it and asking me questions about it. its like no ones ever seen a motorcycle with a windshield wiper on it before and to tell you the truth, neither have I.

I have solved the problem with the water bottle, im going to my local junk yard and find a narrow car washer reservoir and install it inside one of my saddlebags.

people, im sorry, I just found out a couple of minutes ago that one of my elderly neighbors passed during the night. I have to go next door and comfort one of her family members. I'll be back later.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 am

ok..........im going to be busy with my neighbors family helping them with "arrangements" for their mother. I'll be back later this evening.

regards,

stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.

roadwanderer2

NEW AND IMPROVED motorcycle windshield wiper washer

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:57 pm

ok people, im back. the neighbor's family wants some "alone time" to deal with their loss, so im here again......now to the business at hand.

im sure you all know that inventors always try to improve on what they've built, and im no exception. I have made a "NEW AND IMPROVED" washer fluid storage bottle.....ok, here goes, first let me just say this bottle is actually a radiator overflow bottle I bought at the parts store. pic # 1 is the new bottle........ pic # 2 is the original pump attached to the bottom of the new bottle......... pic # 3 is the sealed top of the bottle hole......pic # 4 is the sealed bottom hole....... pic # 5 is the bottle mounted inside the left saddlebag.......... pic # 6 are the power wires zip tied to the frame...........pic # 7 are the pump wires and water hose going thru a small hole I drilled thru the saddlebag....pic # 8 is the washer hose also zip tied to the frame......... pic # 9 would have been the new "push button" pump activator mounted on the lower left side of the fairing, but I cant upload it because I already have 8 pics loaded.....so there you have it, my "NEW AND IMPROVED" windshield washer bottle and pump. this bottle holds 1 1/2 qt's of water which is enough to last for a while. I also now have my left fairing storage pocket back so I can put my smokes, sunglasses and what ever else I need to keep handy rather than have everything im my pockets.

stuart.
Attachments

Bobbbo
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by Bobbbo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:29 pm

I've been using a wiper on my 1994 1500 for about 12 years now. (270,000 original kms). Started with a marine system and last 5 years a Peercleer motorcycle system. (I gave my marine wiper to a buddy for his 1500). Arm seems to last "forever"; I replace the rubber from car blades as necessary. Pinch bolt where arm assembly attaches to motor shaft needs to be tightened from time to time.

http://www.peerclear.com (You may have to paste to browser) $300 US. Installation time about 1 1/2 hours. Moderate skill needed more for wiring and handlebar installation than anything else. With the windshield off I drilled a hold in top of dashboard and fed wires through there. A plastic wire loom makes it all look extra neat. Bit for drilling windshield is included - actually quite easy.

The original Tulsa scratched to be noticable after a couple of years but polished out well. My newer K4 still scratches but far far less and also polishes out. Polishing is just using Honda spray and sometimes Plexus or a restorer.

Peerclear supplies a toggle switch and, as an option, a single swipe self parking button.

I think wiper is very desirable for high windshields but not necessary if you can see over the top.

I have tried out RainX and it works but it doesn't last very long.

I also use auto black plastic door-edge guard on the top of the windshield which channels water to the side edges of the windshield and minimizes but does not eliminate drip over. I carry a chamois covered sponge near the dash to deal with too many drips.

1500s sold in Japan came with an OEM articulated wiper (see BMW semi-enclosed scooters/or search YouTube for the 1500 wiper videos) as required by Japanese law for driving on expressways but sourcing the parts from Japan is not easy and they are over $1,000. I assume those wipers were installed by Japan Honda when the 1500s reached Japan. I don't know the status re 1800s.

Bob - Chapter T Toronto Canada

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:32 pm

hey Bobbbo:

yes, I have seen the ones sold by Peercleer, and those are $85.00 more because of the drill bits and toggle switch are included. the one I purchased from roaddogwiper was only $200.00 US and it didn't come with the bits or the switch. the drill bits I bought were from Lowes home improvement for less than $10.00 and roaddogwiper is going to send me their "optional" handlebar switch when they get them in stock.

I didn't see any reason to spend the extra money for basically the same thing. the heavy duty arm is great, I have no complaints about it, the wiper itself however I did replace with an 11" Trico blade which is a slightly softer rubber compound that wont scratch my windshield, and it was only $9.00 US with my military discount from my local auto parts store. so far, I haven't noticed any scratches on my windshield, but like I said in a previous posting, only time will tell how long it will take to start seeing scratches in the plastic.

I cant see over my windshield unless I actually come up off my seat, but the wiper takes care of my vision thru it and that's all I need. as for the dripping on the inside, well, I tried a drip rail on the top edge, but the water still comes over the top so I just deal with it. personally, I think the NTSB in THIS country should make them standard equipment on ALL cruisers and touring bikes.

stuart.

grumpy161100
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500se

Post by grumpy161100 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:25 pm

hey guys ive had one on my 1500 for the past 3 years over here in Scotland we get a lot of rain, I used a wiper motor designed for a boat and I must say its the best thing ive fitted to my bike,
happy riding all

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:33 pm

hey grumpy:

glad to see im not the only rider that has one on his bike. sure makes it a lot safer huh.

stuart.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 pm

I missed seeing this post somehow...I just saw it,,,here's another one I found on the Youtube...