DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
H20loo
Motorcycle: 99 gl se

Re: DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Post by H20loo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 am

Anybody can say biker. You have to be sober to say motorcyclist.
Btw. There is a difference where i come from between a Biker and a biker. Less than 1% get the capital.
Ive ridden for 53 years and nobody has ever called me a motorcyclist unless they were writing about me

H20loo
Motorcycle: 99 gl se

Post by H20loo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:00 am

Ive had a lot of bikes and they all have spent a fair amount of time on a trailer. Are you saying i should have bought a Harley? I never thought any less of the guy with his bike behind a motorhome. Many of those guys may be more hardcore than the rider in the rainsuit who is late for a luncheon

Im finished rambling now lol

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:22 am

Go big or go home.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Define Biker and Motorcyclist.

Hmmmm.....I don't know. Reading all these posts, I don't quite fit either one.
I like to keep my bike clean and I don't like cold &/or wet weather, but If I'm riding across south Texas and it starts raining, I stop long enough for the rainsuit and keep going.
By the definitions given so far, I'm neither. I'm a retired old dude that likes to see America from 2 wheels. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 am

When I first posted this, I was looking for the eh-clean points. But as it progressed I never thought it would be so diverse.
I guess it had to go the way it went even though I gave some guidelines to follow.
BUT HEY, it's all in jest... well spozed'ta be. :)

Here's a few more... ENJOY.
Bikers rides are short, fast, hard. Motorcyclists rides are long-n-easy-n-smooth-n-enjoyable-n-scenic and...

Bikers ride from point A to B. Motorcyclist ride from point A to B to C to D to.....
or is it...
Motorcyclist ride from point A to B to C to D to...? Bikers ride from point A to B to A. (FUN-PUN ;) )
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:06 am

It's all just generalities and in good natured jest. :D.
Maybe another definition could be anyone can be a motorcyclist but to be a biker you have to at least forked a Harley at some point in your life. :D

Sooo.....I could be riding a Goldwing but because I rode a Harley to Bikes, Blues and BBQ, I could be described as a motorcyclist or a biker. :roll:

It's so confusing! :cry:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:20 am

MotorCyBiTrikerist?

One word, all covered. :roll:

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2003 Honda Shadow VLX 600 Bagger

Post by robb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Just call me Happy, I can ride 12 months a year.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:40 pm

I thought I could ride all-year round, but this last week with everyday over 40C (about 105F), has scared me enough not to venture outside too much. The dogs (4 x Basenjis) have enjoyed the aircon, but the chooks (aka chickens) have had to endure the heat as I cannot get them house trained.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:06 am

redial wrote:I thought I could ride all-year round, but this last week with everyday over 40C (about 105F), has scared me enough not to venture outside too much. The dogs (4 x Basenjis) have enjoyed the aircon, but the chooks (aka chickens) have had to endure the heat as I cannot get them house trained.
If your heat wave goes on too long, you're be having a lot of Chook dinners.
CHOOK-A-DOODLE-DOOOooooo (buck-buck BUH-ACK!!!)

gypsy traveler
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se

Post by gypsy traveler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi everybody, [bikers and motorcyclists] I know this is an older post but its time for me to respond/comment! If this counts as qualifications in anyones mind, I bought my 1st bike in 72--and have owned mx, enduros, customs, 5-hds, 2-cz, 2-500 triples, 2-750 triples, 2-concours, 4 wheelers,3-xl 600s, xr600 jet ski,muscle cars,...over 45 bikes, one of my reconstructed muscle cars made it into Hot Rod. Not trying to brag...just qualifying myself! I CONSIDER MYSELF A RIDER! I would think that most of the guys/gals that read this forum have a diverse list of hobbies and skills/talents hat no one here is so one dimentional that they can be pidgeonholed. One of the beauties of this site [in my opinion] is the diversity of all the folks within! Im smiling by the way! Not ranting! Did I use my 3 lines yet? lol! In my experience...it doesn't seem to matter what the hobby...there seems to be those that separate themselves by some [self] perceived sense of superiority! Think about it...we are all in the same boat when riding! We were all newbies once! Help those that need it if you can...It WILL come back to you in time...either directly or with your own satisfaction! Ok Im done huntin an peckin for now!

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Post by Grindl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 pm

From a 54 year rider , biker , motorcyclist .
A "Biker" : Did his /her frame
Did his / Her paint
Wired the bike
Built the motor
and can repair anything that breaks short of catastrophic engine failure . And Yes ; Virginia . They ALL do break . And the "ADJENDA" most "Bikers" have is to ride...
A "Motorcyclist" is a hobbyists who rides short or moderate trips with "friends", and sees riding as a "Social" activity . And NEVER colors outside the lines . Displays his AMA card at every opportunity . ALWAYS wears his / her helmet , and expresses total disdain for the NRA and it's members .
A "Rider" ; is somewhere in-between .
Labels SUCK ; and so do the people who use them . Let's Ride...

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Post by Grindl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Memo to "redial" in Australia : 105 is a mid-morning temp in the Phoenix area from about mid-May to sometimes late November . Ya just drink lots of water . Avoid the soda and alcohol , and find shade , any shade where you can . And ride on .
Worst ride of my life ? Phoenix to Quartzite in July on I-10...Temp ? 121F. What was I thinking ?

gypsy traveler
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se

Post by gypsy traveler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:52 pm

I call myself a RIDER because I will ride anything I own! Of course I don't ride a wing or pure street bike on a frozen lake/river but I have studded tires on an XL600 and ridden that. Been to CA and back with my wife {ex} on a 74 Z1, in 78. I ride what I have and have no reason to hold those who have less experience/miles than me in contempt. Due to my situation I only have 1 bike at this time. I have owned as many as 12 bikes at one time, [9 were fully functional.] 45+ total I fix and paint my own bikes, and it takes time [years] and dedication to keep learning about your own bikes. and I am usually willing to help those who need it. This is my 1st wing, I have 4 very cold miles on it. found it close to home,1 owner 99 1500 SE 90,000mi with color matching trailer. NOTE TO ALL; This is my 1st wing and I really appreciate your knowledge and posts! It will shorten my learning curve dramatically! And gave me a good sized "to do" checklist! LOL

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:49 am

I'm a Winger.... I'm not a Biker and a motorcyclist sounds too sophisticated for me....I feel I earned the title with all I have done to my 1100.. All the cussing and time,,, :lol: all the issues this bike had mostly electrical :shock: It was fun learning new stuff about this particular bike and the differences in the years for the 1100... Fun stuff... A Winger is someone who rides a Goldwing.... Oh crap so what do I call myself when I ride my Kawa...? :shock: :lol:

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:08 pm

These dudes.... I don't know if they are bikers, or Motorcyclists.... But OH MAN.....

And they are doing this on Royal Enfield Thumpers.

[youtube]

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:02 pm

urbanmadness wrote:These dudes.... I don't know if they are bikers, or Motorcyclists.... But OH MAN.....
And they are doing this on Royal Enfield Thumpers.
As your watching this,
do you find yourself leaning to the right MORE and MORE and MORE?!
If that were me, I'd be hang'n my monkey way-WAY to the right of the bike. ;)

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:00 pm

It's very easy to tell a biker from a motorcyclist.
On any beautiful day around here, the bikers ride a mile or so to
the bar down the road and park the bike outside.
The motorcyclists can be seen PASSING BY the bar
on their way to ride in the country, racking up the miles.

P.S. When us motorcyclists are coming home later in the day,
those same bikes are STILL parked outside the bar. :roll:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:12 pm

P.P.S. A true story.....
Back in 1982, my brother, a police officer, bought a brand new Sportster.
On his vacation, he and his wife loaded up their luggage and rode
that Sportster out to Colorado, down to Texas and eventually home
to New Jersey over a two week period.
When he returned to work, one day he was on patrol and spotted
a Sportster exactly like his in front of a local bar, with the "biker" just
climbing aboard. He pulled over to talk to the guy.
He said, "Have you taken any trips with it?".
The guy answered, (in a voice kinda like Homer Simpson)
"Uhh....I drove it up to Caldwell once!" (a town about 20 miles away)
My brother knew that there was no use in going any further with
the conversation. He just shook his head, rolled up the window
and drove away. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 pm

OFFCENTER:
One might say....
DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist.
One's Cantankerous the other Adventurist. ;)

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm the kind that likes to ride with a buddy to...wherever, but if he can't get off work, it doesn't stop me from taking a 2000 - 2500 mile ride.
Just love throwing my tent and sleeping bag on the bike and going. I've put my tent up in rest areas, truck stops, riversides, city parks and fairgrounds, a country cemetery once, (very quiet neighbors, no complaints), I like keeping track of my expenses, it's amazing how far you can go on a motorcycle with just a few hundred dollars! :D
Then when you get back home, friends all wish they could have gone with me, but they don't want to stay in a tent.
Whatever you choose to call yourself, we all have memories non-riders will never know.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:48 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:I'm the kind that likes to ride with a buddy to...wherever, but if he can't get off work, it doesn't stop me from taking a 2000 - 2500 mile ride.
Just love throwing my tent and sleeping bag on the bike and going. I've put my tent up in rest areas, truck stops, riversides, city parks and fairgrounds, a country cemetery once, (very quiet neighbors, no complaints), I like keeping track of my expenses, it's amazing how far you can go on a motorcycle with just a few hundred dollars! :D
Then when you get back home, friends all wish they could have gone with me, but they don't want to stay in a tent.
Whatever you choose to call yourself, we all have memories non-riders will never know.
Well then, tell them you have a spare sleeping bag they can sleep under the stars.
:lol:
[que this tune]

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Okay, but I don't think it'll help. :lol:
For too many of them a trip means to the state line and back. Got to sleep in their own bed in their own house every night.

That's the difference between a lot of us. Some of us ride off past the horizon and don't come back for days or weeks or more. Others just wish they could. :D

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:10 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Okay, but I don't think it'll help. :lol:
For too many of them a trip means to the state line and back. Got to sleep in their own bed in their own house every night.

That's the difference between a lot of us.
Some of us ride off past the horizon and don't come back for days or weeks or more. Others just wish they could. :D
Interesting, and my thought process goes...
"I'm off an another excursion. I need to find out for myself whether or not, the world is flat." 8-)

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 pm

We can learn everything about most anything from books or the internet, but some have to go see it for themselves. :)