Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Post by FM-USA » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:12 pm

flogger wrote:
FM-USA wrote:.
Gotta love all CAPS.. .. JUST gotta.
I wonder, is all that flak in GWRRA thread bleeeed'n over to here?
JUST curious. ;)

WHAT DID YOU SAY FM? THIS IS THE OLD MANS THREAD...
Sargent Carter:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU

. :lol:

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Sounds like you aren't accustomed to riding upright- rather than bent over the bars and tank. Some of OLD folks, just give it up and Trike the GW- you don't have to hold it up or put your feet down at a light. But, you don't GET to put your feet down at a light either.. make sure you have a REALLY good seat.
Just imagine your Harley FLH buddies with a 5 gallon tank ABOVE the frame instead of under the seat... I have had to help H-D buddies get their rides back up off the street.

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Post by c5cruiser » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:48 pm

I remember being 17 then all of a sudden I'm 60. What the hell happened?

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 pm

c5cruiser wrote:I remember being 17 then all of a sudden I'm 60. What the hell happened?
Before life, LIFE, after life.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Fatboy46

Post by Fatboy46 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:54 am

c5cruiser--- growing older happens- growing up, is optional..

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Post by c5cruiser » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 am

Fatboy46 wrote:c5cruiser--- growing older happens- growing up, is optional..
After raising kids to be responsible citizens, a good husband and a carrier it's difficult not to grow up. I understand what you're saying but it all wears you out.
Sometimes I wish that I could turn the clock back. I'd deffenatldefenatly do more for me and less for others. Maybe.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 am

c5cruiser wrote:Sometimes I wish that I could turn the clock back. I'd deffenatldefenatly do more for me and less for others. Maybe.
Your wish has been answered....

amazon`com

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 am

What is the age requirement to reply to this thread? Now for the burning question. Will the time come when mandatory age restrictions will be legislated? I extended my face into the wind time by eliminating balancing from the equation.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 am

Jim1 wrote:What is the age requirement to reply to this thread? Now for the burning question. Will the time come when mandatory age restrictions will be legislated? I extended my face into the wind time by eliminating balancing from the equation.
I don't think there's a predetermined age to feel old.

:shock: Curious...
Do wind flapping face cheeks make the same sound
as those other breaking wind flapping cheeks?
:o

;)

Fatboy46

Post by Fatboy46 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:40 am

:-) If you have to ask... you ain't...

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Post by Jim1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Perhaps the worst aspect of the aging process is slowing down of reaction time and sight detrition. The last aspect is making the decision to retire from operating.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Post by flogger » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Jim1 wrote:Perhaps the worst aspect of the aging process is slowing down of reaction time and sight detrition. The last aspect is making the decision to retire from operating.
Hey Jim... from Kokomo...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Blackngold » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:28 am

Ken Styles wrote:Hey All,

I just have a question. I'm 35 and I would say I'm a pretty strong guy. Not the weakest I know.

I've been riding my 86 Interstate for a few weeks now and love it but I have one problem.

It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.
I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings? Whats the attraction to such a heavy bike?
Is it the comfort factor?

I struggle sometimes with moving this thing in and out of parking spaces and I'm like what if I was 20 years older?? I wouldn't be able to do it.

I actually got this bike because it was the bike my wife felt most comfortable and "safe" on so I went with it.

Any thoughts?
For me (just turned 58) its all about comfort! Been riding since I was 15. Started on dirt bike, graduated up to fast mid-size street, managed to survive and got bigger and faster. As I aged and matured (some) I don't have to prove anything anymore racing from red light to red light and just enjoy the "ride--experience". I see young'uns on their crotch rockets driving like fools, just like I did and shake my head thinking "Damn, its a wonder I'm still alive!" Kinda like McFly in the movie Back to the Future--nobody calls me chicken!! Now days when that crotch rocket pulls up beside me at a light,rev's his motor, looks at me thru his dark visor full helmet,wearing some big name racing gear I like to mess w/them. Lean forward rev my engine, get them to think its on! Then when light goes green watch em peel away and laugh while I just ease on down the road. Yep its all about comfort.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am

Ken Styles wrote: It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.
I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings? Whats the attraction to such a heavy bike?

I struggle sometimes with moving this thing in and out of parking spaces and I'm like what if I was 20 years older?? I wouldn't be able to do it.
I actually got this bike because it was the bike my wife felt most comfortable and "safe" on so I went with it.
Any thoughts?
For me it's comfort, smoothness, power, tow-ability but above all, longevity.
As we age most of us don't care to wrench like we used to. We can and will but for me that thrill is gone.
My time now is for enjoying life and cycle-touring with the least worries of breakdowns.

As for GoldWings weight.
A little extra material must be built in to support its longevity. Little here and there adds up.
This weight begets smoothness, quite similar to Cadillac's vs a Chevy's.
One must scan ahead when parking this beast, older is smarter, hopefully.
I don't have reverse so I take a little more time looking for either a pull through to face out or an uphill space to roll backwards downhill.
Couple years ago bike slipped on ice in our alley and softly went down on the safety bars. With jogger shoes on ice, I picked up it without slipping. It's all about friction, fulcrum, some strength and balance.
GoldWings are bigger, makes them 'X' much easier to see for safety, tho still have to have an "offensive view for defensive survival".

Hope this helps.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1983 XJ 750 Seca Tour Model w/ hard bags and trunk
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Ken Styles wrote: It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.
Any thoughts?
Hope this helps.
I am 70 and put 13000 on my Goldwing last season, not many miles, I know, but it was enough for me considering I put another 7000 or so on my cruiser.
Goldwings are a touring bike and yes, its about comfort! They are meant to be on the road, not running form stop light to stop light. I use my cruiser for that.... As long as a Goldwing is moving, the weight isn't an issue. My 1500 has reverse, so I don't worry much about getting in and out of parking spaces. My concern is making sure it is stable on the side stand, I can't park in spaces with an uphill slope due to the length of the side stand. I have an aftermarket job on it that has a wider foot and prevents the side stand from sinking into soft dirt or gravel, but its a bit longer than the stock side stand.
Bill

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by wally » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

My body may be 68 years old with a few aches and pains but my mind thinks I'm a lot younger, so handling my 1100 hasn't been a problem. I hope my mind never catches up to my age!

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 am

It's just a different skill set then from crotch rockets. A lot of crotch rocket riders muscle their bikes around, you simply can't do that with a wing. You have to learn control and technique. It's funny to watch a sport bike dude get on a 1500. It will humble some of them. My 1500 is big, and it's surprising nimble, once you learn not to fight the bike.

It's always a great feeling when I do something right, and it feels graceful. It might even be something as simple as taking a long sweeping curve when getting on the freeway.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:58 am

Blackngold wrote:
Ken Styles wrote:Hey All,

I just have a question. I'm 35 and I would say I'm a pretty strong guy. Not the weakest I know.

I've been riding my 86 Interstate for a few weeks now and love it but I have one problem.

It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.

Any thoughts?
For me (just turned 58) its all about comfort! Been riding since I was 15. Started on dirt bike, graduated up to fast mid-size street, managed to survive and got bigger and faster. As I aged and matured (some) I don't have to prove anything anymore racing from red light to red light and just enjoy the "ride--experience". I see young'uns on their crotch rockets driving like fools, just like I did and shake my head thinking "Damn, its a wonder I'm still alive!" Kinda like McFly in the movie Back to the Future--nobody calls me chicken!! Now days when that crotch rocket pulls up beside me at a light,rev's his motor, looks at me thru his dark visor full helmet,wearing some big name racing gear I like to mess w/them. Lean forward rev my engine, get them to think its on! Then when light goes green watch em peel away and laugh while I just ease on down the road. Yep its all about comfort.
Agree with Blackngold - I'm 60, bike license at 17, and it is about comfort with the one caveat, I still like to play with the boys and there is nothing better than to keep up with the young people on a cruiser. A bike has no weight when it is moving, only when you stop. If you are finding it heavy when moving, there are other factors to consider. I have been on several advanced riding course with everything from a 600cc "rice rockets", adventure bikes, dressers and of course the venerable GW. We all started at different levels, but after the course everyone's skill level had increased such that we rode the bike, the bike did not ride us. The instructors all commented that anyone can go straight and fast, it takes skill that comes from lots of practice to go slow and maneuver without putting your foot down in parking lots, and as such, it will help you in and out of parking spaces. Don't be afraid of the bike, it's a tool that allows us to enjoy ourselves. Lots of information out there that can help you tame your '86. I have an'85 LTD and an '08 1800, also had an '07 Suzuki C90T (1500cc - a bit more "agricultural" than the GWs). Did my last course on the 1800. During the windup session, one fellow mentioned that if the guys on the 1800 GWs (there was 3 of us) could do the course, then he could on his Triumph. Training in my estimation is fun and you meet the greatest people, also makes you do things you would not normally do on your bike. As for older guys on these heavy bikes, some of these older guys are quite talented and can really make these "heavy" bikes dance. Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Post by silverado6x6 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:07 am

I'm 59, not a big guy by biker standards but at 220 pounds 5'10" and moderately fit I can handle the GL1500 with no problem, even with another person near my weight on back, but not in the city, it does get tiresome. As a multi bike owner of bikes from the 80 CX500 on up to my recent 85 Vmax i can say with certainty its like have a box of tools, different wrenches for different bolts.

Sold my Vmax cause you cannot do 2 up easily, don't ride the smaller bikes cause 2 up on them is too much weight, so because I enjoyed having a passenger so much i pretty much went full Goldwing. Best bike for touring by far.

I do like a lighter bike at times but it gets selfish, and I miss not having my favorite gal behind me on a sport bike.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

RLScott
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SEL
2012 V Star 1300 Tourer

Post by RLScott » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Regarding picking up a downed GW, I too used to think it was impossible. A buddy showed me a few simple steps that even us old, fat, bad-backed guys can use:

- position the handle bar all the way to the left or right, depending on which side you're down.
- If your down on the right side, put the sidestand down and apply the front brake lever.
- get in a crouched position while holding the handlebar grip in one hand, the rear seat handle in the other.
- walk backwards, using your legs to "push the bike."

It's surprising how easy it is when you don't try to "lift" the bike up.

Here are two great, short videos:

BillyBarcode
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Post by BillyBarcode » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Thank you for the videos. I've only ever had to pick up my Wing once, and couldn't do it alone (I'm 62, 5'6" and 190 pounds). This is amazing! Thanks. Let's hope we don't have to do it too often.

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:38 am

I'm approaching 72, ride a Goldwing GL1500 for comfort. At least, that's the official answer. The real reason may be that I need to be cool, and what's cooler than a 72 year old, with his sweetie on the back, pulling in on an 850 pound scoot alongside a mess of loud HD's at the Boot Hill Saloon? By the way, when it comes to handling a GL1500, size does matter! Shorter riders may have some trouble on uneven surfaces, sand or loose gravel, because the foot must plant before the bike get's over. I've dropped mine several times because of that. Fortunately, I dropped it on purpose once, after watching the video's, so that I could practice getting it back upright. Once it's moving, it's no different than any of the other bikes I've owned.

Geofd
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Post by Geofd » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:53 pm

I just got an 86 interstate I'm 55 yeh
It's the heaviest bike I have owned I have to back mine down a 60' driveway
and up a small ramp into a small shed
the only problem I have so far is rolling
It out of the shed but I have only ridden
It 4 times because of the weather I love it I think it's pretty nimble I know I got it because of reliability and if I wanted to go on a trip you could load it right up the full fairing was also a big reason
Once you ride any bike with a full fairing you won't ride anything else my last bike was a victory v92 with just a windshield it just didn't cut it

SideCarJerry
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Post by SideCarJerry » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

the Goldwing seems to be a fairly easy bike to ride and i have 2 hip replacements .i just have to remember to put my feet down because i normaly ride a motorcycle with a sidecar. i am 63 and have been riding 44 years.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:01 pm

What's the deal about older men and Goldwings? It's simple, they know how to handle a big heavy bike at slow speed.
That's it. :D

I've got to find an empty parking lot. Been a while since I threw a leg over a Goldwing and I realize my riding skills just aren't up to par. Hopefully by the end of summer, they'll be better. :)

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: