The idiots are out there

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."SOLD" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: The idiots are out there

Post by Ravyn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am

When coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign or anywhere really. Weave back and forth in your lane before coming to a stop. This left and right movement makes you more visible to the cager behind you.

Ravyn

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:45 am

Ravyn wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am
When coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign or anywhere really. Weave back and forth in your lane before coming to a stop. This left and right movement makes you more visible to the cager behind you.

Ravyn
HAH!
I report those weavers as drunks.

Few years back, reported one male mex, weaving over both lines. Cop said when he walked up to drivers door, driver passed out. He had to reach in & put it in park.
TALK ABOUT A CLOSE CALL!!! :o

Different one in Wi., weaving over centerline.
I was able to pull up to his drivers side, me in the turning lane & his window was open, I seen he was texting. I said, "Dude, I was going to call 911 that you're a Drunk Driver.".
He smiled & gave that apologetic wave. He put it down and drove normal.
I still wonder if he was saused?

Last edited by FM-USA on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 am

Ravyn wrote:

Ravyn
That's a good one Ravyn.

And I see James, that you have an older GL, just like me and my '78. I'm thinking that newer Goldwings may already have this feature available from the factory, but I recently installed a "Back-Off XP Brake Light Module". http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp I'm noticing, that ever since installing this unit, traffic behind me is reacting sooner to me braking, and subsequently coming to a stop. I see them, in my rearview mirrors, falling back much sooner than when I was braking before installing the unit. So it must be getting their attention sooner. And that to me, is a good thing.

Just a thought :idea: .................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am

I've seen those '3 flash' brake lights.
Besides the attention flash, makes me think I'm seeing several vehicles stopping.

Definitely an attention getter.
;)

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 am

FM-USA wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am
I've seen those '3 flash' brake lights.
Besides the attention flash, makes me think I'm seeing several vehicles stopping.

Definitely an attention getter.
;)

The XP model also has an extra wire to give you roadside emergency flashing of your rear lights. Just wire it through a separate switch, and your good to go. Very handy. 8-)
"Assume Nothing"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am

Ravyn wrote:

Ravyn
Absolutely !!!

I weave from lane edge, to lane edge, and I have a swimming pool orange noodle tied to trunk rack, it sticks out to the left and flops all over the place.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Won't a RED noodle swing FASTER?

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."SOLD" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

Here's a couple more for what they are worth....

When I stop behind a vehicle in front of me I always leave at least one and a half or two car lengths of space between me and the vehicle and I point my bike a little toward the escape path I have chosen. That way you do not have to make such a sharp turn left or right if the cager behind you sees fit to make a pancake out of you.

Now I'm sure FM-USA would call the cops on me for this one and have me checked out for drunken driving, hahahahaha , but if I am being tail gated , especially at slower speeds like around town I will start to wobble around a bit and try to make it look like I might just fall over at any given moment or that I am a beginning rider and I don't know what the hell I am doing. Most of the time they back right off.
I'M glad I don't live near FM , hahaha :-)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:28 pm

..... Double post......
Last edited by FM-USA on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Ravyn wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

When I stop behind a vehicle in front of me I always leave at least one and a half or two car lengths of space between me and the vehicle and I point my bike a little toward the escape path I have chosen. That way you do not have to make such a sharp turn left or right if the cager behind you sees fit to make a pancake out of you.

Now I'm sure FM-USA would call the cops on me for this one and have me checked out for drunken driving, hahahahaha , but if I am being tail gated , especially at slower speeds like around town I will start to wobble around a bit and try to make it look like I might just fall over at any given moment or that I am a beginning rider and I don't know what the hell I am doing. Most of the time they back right off.
YA ya... Such a funny funny guy.
(Bucky & Pepito)

I'm not a meek rider, I've done that weave-n-wobble to obtain a little "safe space". Like an animal, they sense your afraid they'll eat you up.

On that cop call...
I get paid when drunk drivers get arrested. I do NOT go out of my way for the money, I only report those who are highly likely going to take someone out. If there's someone who's questionable, I'll mention it to them. So far every single one either straighted up or parked it. And a few thanked me.
In my distant past, several towns cops asked/suggested I become a cop. Every one I refused, I'm not a Barney. But I do believe in 'rules & regulations' and 'law & order'. They are for our guidance & protections.

I'm doing my part to remove those who could harm you & yours.
I do hope that's OK.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Ravyn wrote:

it is hard to put in one post, all of the little Tricks of Staying Alive that we do.

staying back two car lengths is my standard.
Angle towards the Exit Route is my standard.
Wobbling severely like a drunk with brake lights flashing is my standard.

the result is almost 100%, the guy/gal behind me drops way off and leaves me a lot of space between them and me.

The Swimming Pool Noodle was my daughter's idea.... she bought me a couple of them.
I keep them bungee corded to the trunk rack all the time. Their weird flopping action catches the eye of the worst drivers.

Last week, my daughter took her new Piaggio MP3 out on our 4 lane highway for her first Real Test at highway speeds. For her, that meant she was finally going faster than 22 mph....

I followed behind her about 200 feet and every time a vehicle closed on us, I started the lane edge to lane edge wobble back and forth, at the same time, I had my 4 way flashers going.

Worked 100% of the time for an 18 mile trip out , and then return....

We arrived home safe, but she is not all that confident yet of her skills.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 pm
Ravyn wrote:

YA ya... Such a funny funny guy.
(Bucky & Pepito)

I'm not a meek rider, I've done that weave-n-wobble to obtain a little "safe space". Like an animal, they sense your afraid they'll eat you up.

On that cop call...
I get paid when drunk drivers get arrested. I do NOT go out of my way for the money, I only report those who are highly likely going to take someone out. If there's someone who's questionable, I'll mention it to them. So far every single one either straighted up or parked it. And a few thanked me.
In my distant past, several towns cops asked/suggested I become a cop. Every one I refused, I'm not a Barney. But I do believe in 'rules & regulations' and 'law & order'. They are for our guidance & protections.

I'm doing my part to remove those who could harm you & yours.
I do hope that's OK.

Now don't go gettin your undies in a bundle FM, everything I said was in jest... did you not see the hahahaha's and smiley face.

me thinks you should go take a cement pill and harden up..... :-)

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm
Ravyn wrote:

it is hard to put in one post, all of the little Tricks of Staying Alive that we do.

staying back two car lengths is my standard.
Angle towards the Exit Route is my standard.
Wobbling severely like a drunk with brake lights flashing is my standard.

the result is almost 100%, the guy/gal behind me drops way off and leaves me a lot of space between them and me.

The Swimming Pool Noodle was my daughter's idea.... she bought me a couple of them.
I keep them bungee corded to the trunk rack all the time. Their weird flopping action catches the eye of the worst drivers.

Last week, my daughter took her new Piaggio MP3 out on our 4 lane highway for her first Real Test at highway speeds. For her, that meant she was finally going faster than 22 mph....

I followed behind her about 200 feet and every time a vehicle closed on us, I started the lane edge to lane edge wobble back and forth, at the same time, I had my 4 way flashers going.

Worked 100% of the time for an 18 mile trip out , and then return....

We arrived home safe, but she is not all that confident yet of her skills.
Good on you AZ, keep on staying with her until she feels ok on her own. :-)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Rav'n...
I know jest when I see it. ;)
MacArthur Park reprise...
Don't wear your little whitey-tighties in the rain...

Try this BUTTON, might have to press it several times.. .. :?:

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 pm
Rav'n...
I know jest when I see it. ;)
MacArthur Park reprise...
Don't wear your little whitey-tighties in the rain...

Try this BUTTON, might have to press it several times.. .. :?:

Dang FM, you posted a dead button, it don't work. :roll: :mrgreen:

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm
I wanted to show this picture that I took while I was out for a ride a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't think of a good place to put it since it wasn't a GoldWing, or even motorcycle related. But then I remembered this very appropriately named thread. All I can say is that I hope whoever is planning to work under this car, never drives it on the same road I'm on! :lol:
DUH II.JPG
I posted this picture, of an interlocking brick job, a couple of years ago. I hope he's still alive!
Today I was out for a ride, and saw another example of how not to do it. I think that Jeep's seen better days anyway. They actually sell proper jack stands for these applications you know. So you don't scratch your aluminum wheels.

Dave :roll:

"Assume Nothing"

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm
Solina Dave wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm
I wanted to show this picture that I took while I was out for a ride a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't think of a good place to put it since it wasn't a GoldWing, or even motorcycle related. But then I remembered this very appropriately named thread. All I can say is that I hope whoever is planning to work under this car, never drives it on the same road I'm on! :lol:
DUH II.JPG
I posted this picture, of an interlocking brick job, a couple of years ago. I hope he's still alive!
Today I was out for a ride, and saw another example of how not to do it. I think that Jeep's seen better days anyway. They actually sell proper jack stands for these applications you know. So you don't scratch your aluminum wheels.

Dave :roll:

DUH II.JPG 077.JPG
I think someone jacked that jeep up and stole the wheels off of it. I din't think they gave a rats tail end about proper jack stands. :-)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 pm

NOOoooOOOO... that Jeep owner set them rims right. To protect the 'Good Side', he faced them inward.
😋

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Guys- I read a lot of situations here that could have been fatal... because the rider PUT HIMSELF into that situation. Ride like everybody on the road want to run you down, and every one behind you wants to run you over. I cross a freeway bridge frequently- same woman in a minivan comes to the light (green for me) makes a Kalifornia stop and pulls in front of me almost everytime we are there.. I don't think she has ever seen me- or if she has, she doesn't care. OBTW- 'right of way' can mean that you are 'dead right' ..

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm

dingdong wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 am
Another idiot biker and driver confrontation. Lane splitting is not legal in Florida.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/vide ... /729744615
I thought it was interesting how the biker seemed to immediately run back to the car that was recording him as if he knew he was and wanted him to go after the guy.

I've had a few near misses the past couple of weeks. None really can be considered close calls because I saw them coming and was ready for them in plenty of time. I think all of them were just people in the lane next to me wanting to be in my lane at the same time. None of them have gotten close enough for me to knock on their windows yet. Loving the horns on this Wing! Couple of toots gets their attention pretty good.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Sitting at a left turn light in the 80's, in 6 road intersection, so notorious for bad driving and blocking the intersection- that a cop was directing traffic- patiently waiting my turn to turn left- and I notice this headlight getting closer and closer to my leg. I am in the right tire track...on a 78 Yamaha 650- I toot my little weak horn and the cop turns to see why, I point to the car about to push me into the intersection by the footpegs.. he starts blowing his whistle and approaching the car.. Oscar Grope in his Belchfire 8 is talking to his wife Hilda and has no clue that he is rolling up-... cop finally has to tap on the window. He waves me on when the light changes and Oscar is left holding up traffic, getting his arse chewed until the next left turn cycle. Gotta love the unconcious among us.. Ride like they all want to kill you.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am

DRIVING my car the other day. Not an invisible bike, but my CAR. Coming up on a green light out in the countryside, I'm doing about 50 mph, intending to go straight through the intersection. A guy on the road to my right is waiting to turn right (which would put him going the same direction as me). He's in a Mustang convertible. He looks RIGHT AT ME as I'm about to enter the intersection, and pulls out in front of me. I had to slam my brakes on and swerve to keep from broadsiding him. Luckily there was nobody in the oncoming lane.

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am
DRIVING my car the other day. Not an invisible bike, but my CAR. Coming up on a green light out in the countryside, I'm doing about 50 mph, intending to go straight through the intersection. A guy on the road to my right is waiting to turn right (which would put him going the same direction as me). He's in a Mustang convertible. He looks RIGHT AT ME as I'm about to enter the intersection, and pulls out in front of me. I had to slam my brakes on and swerve to keep from broadsiding him. Luckily there was nobody in the oncoming lane.
I can definitely relate to that. It seems to me, to be happening much more often these days. Do you think he saw you, and just didn't care? Did he look right at you, and just didn't see you? Did he see you, and misjudge your speed and distance? Was he young and cocky? Was he old, and well you know?
Like I always say, "Assume Nothing." Nowadays when I'm approaching an intersection with another vehicle involved like you're describing, at the speed you are describing, I back off on the throttle, and slow down considerably, with my hand over the brake, as ready as I can be. The downside to that is the guy, driving too close behind you, not seeing what's happening, and not paying attention for that split second, crashing right into the back of you. And if he doesn't crash right into the back of you, when he later passes you, he gives you a dirty look, like it's your fault he was driving too close and not paying attention. That's another reason I installed a "Back-Off XP" brakelight modulator, in the hopes of waking the guy up before he crashes into the back of me. It's been installed for two years now, and I wonder why I never installed one years ago. I definitely when braking, and watching in my mirrors, have notice a much greater level of awareness and reaction time, on the part of the driver behind. And after they experience my rapidly flashing brake lights, I notice that they tend to stay back, quite a bit farther, in the future.

Just a thought............................Dave :D........PS...Don't be afraid to substitute she, or gal, anywhere in this posting where there's a he, or guy indicated. :lol:
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Whenever I brake, I scan the rear view mirrors for possible possibilities.
After reading some'a y'alls Wig-Wag Brake lights experiences I started hand brake pre-flashing my intended stops. OH yah, there is a difference in the drivers behind me, they seem more attentive and/or back off.

Since I usually ride out in the boonies the chances of Rump-Bumpers are much lower than in town.
But of course there is that one time... .. . BAM! :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 am

FM-USA wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 pm
Whenever I brake, I scan the rear view mirrors for possible possibilities.
After reading some'a y'alls Wig-Wag Brake lights experiences I started hand brake pre-flashing my intended stops. OH yah, there is a difference in the drivers behind me, they seem more attentive and/or back off.

Since I usually ride out in the boonies the chances of Rump-Bumpers are much lower than in town.
But of course there is that one time... .. . BAM! :roll:

Yup, that's why I added the flasher to my wing - so I don't have to remember to flash my brake lights. Sometimes I still do however - whenever I'm sitting at a red light, and I see a car coming up behind me, just to remind them, "hey, someone's here!"