Protective Clothing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Missourimike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Re: Protective Clothing

Post by Missourimike » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:35 am

I don't try to convince other riders about the need for protective gear. Haven't found a one yet that will listen. All I tell them about helmets it that if I had always worn one, I'd have 23 less stitches in my head. Guess I was lucky. That was 52yrs ago I spent two weeks in the hospital when an old lady made a turn in front of me.
I will say this about what to wear...If I was to ride naked, I'd still have a helmet, gloves, and boots on, if nothing else. My brother rode one time with flip-flops and it cost him $400. $100 for each stitch in his big toe. My wife recommends all riders to wear a jacket, gloves, boots, and carry a big book along. The book is for reading along the side of the road, while waiting for rescue of a Harley rider.

duncan99
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1981 Suzuki GS750 (sold for parts)

Post by duncan99 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:28 am

I typically wear shoes, long pants, and kevlar gloves when riding around town. On a longer ride I'll switch to duty boots. I've ridden in just a t-shirt and pants but prefer not to. Usually I'll add a denim jacket, although I just ordered a mesh/armor jacket for the summer - denim is too hot when it's 90+ degrees out. Rain gear as needed.

I *always* wear a full face (now modular) helmet. I went over the handlebars once back in college and wouldn't be here without a helmet - even though I dropped a lot of speed first, I still bounced off the asphalt. I find the modular style helmet makes it easier to get on and off, and I can swing it open when sitting in traffic to avoid some heat buildup.

I also wear a mesh reflective vest (class 2 traffic vest), it's VERY visible at night. Added a few lights to the bike for the same reason...that's an old picture and doesn't show them.

Oh, almost forgot - earplugs. Believe it or not, I can hear better with them - they really cut down on the wind noise. Everything else is easier to notice.
Everything happens for a reason.
Sometimes, that reason is you're stupid and you make bad choices.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:41 am

Pardon me but this is a senseless topic! Like someone else said, we are not going to convince anyone to 'suit up'. I really don't give a rat's patoot what others wear. Just like I don't care about people who smoke (in fact I welcome them, they are paying taxes that I don't have to pay!).

All I DO know is what I wear, all the time. And I ride to try to minimize risks, if/when possible (no night riding on secondary roads re deer, etc.). We all have or know of 'horror' stories of what happened, etc. but like gruesome photos of black lung cancer patients who desperately want another cigarette, nothing will change them, so why bother?

I will wave at the Harley riders who go helmetless and in sandals, to each his own. I wear a helmet because I know it works (and is quieter and I don't get sunburned, etc.), not because it is the law (or not).

Ride and let live.

balus
Motorcycle: 2010 GL 1800

Post by balus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

For me I wear protective gear because it seems logical to so to avoid some of the negative ramifications of having an accident. If there is something I can wear that will reduce risk of injury then I am all for it, but recognize that it does come down to personal choice.

Safe riding to all

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Post by MasterDaniel904 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 pm

As I've mentioned in other posts, I've eaten my share of gravel over the past 30 odd years of riding. I've ridden in snow, sleet, driving rain, 40 mph winds, and once in a combination of all of them! Except for a helmet 95% of the time, I dress for the WEATHER. I've worn jeans almost exclusively, JCPenney's Arizona, or Wrangler. In every one of my accidents I've left with at most a dime sized knee scrape. I wear a T shirt almost exclusively, and I mean just a T shirt, and in all my accidents a quarter sized elbow scrape was the worst result. Sure I wear tennis shoes sometimes, they've held up just as well as my bike boots in a slide. Now after a few early slides on my hands I've taken to always wearing palm covering gloves at the least, just a pair of Walmart $9 weight lifting leather palmed fingerless gloves mostly. Progressively heavier based on weather, not FEAR. If you have to ride ATGATT, buy a car. Yes, you have only one life, but ENJOY it! FEEL the wind on your arms! DON'T bake in tons of gear. The chap that was killed by the truck was going to die ATGATT or in a swim suit. The guy T-boned was going to have broken legs in Kevlar pants or 1970's NBA shorts. The guy I knew who died when run over by a truck had his head smashed INSIDE the helmet. My worst accident resulted in my landing on my helmeted head at 55 mph and the bike ended up on top of me. The neck and back injuries would have been the same in my leather or just a T-shirt. I hope when it is my time, whom ever gets my organs enjoys his RIDE, not his cocoon.
All seasons. No exceptions.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:00 pm

:? I wonder if Lady Godiva had similar negative ramifications about her lack of clothing while riding?

JUST easing up on this Protective Clothing subject.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Post by newtothe1996wing » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 am

I am a ATGATT rider BUT, it is always a choice, I don't ever need a well meaning "authority" to tell me to.
I am a life member of ABATE of Florida and it pisses me off to hear anyone put down the organization that is protecting the freedom and rights of riders!!!
Helmet laws are a minor part of what our organization seeks to achieve, currently, and for the past 2 years we are seeking stiffer penalties for distracted and careless driver that are killing so many us.
I always wear a helmet/gear and always have. Some I ride with do, some don't, it is there choice.

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Post by rudolphwolven » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:35 pm

My protective clothing.........reinforced jacket, fluorescent helmet, gloves from China........kevlar jeans from the UK.........all perfect stuff for a very attractive price.....

http://www.aliexpress.com/
--- Motoboy -----( long jacket)--------
--- Helmet LS2 FF370
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:39 pm

JUST a few ATGATT items missing...

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Reckon that helmet is DOT approved? :lol:

It don't matter, I like the whole suit of armour and accessories! :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:11 pm

I take it the spear is the CAN OPENER in case of a crash? :lol:

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Modular helmet, jacket, full finger gloves, Duluth fire hose pants, boots. Have yet to find a good pair of riding boots that are comfortable for walking (if anyone has a suggestion, let me know) so I carry a pair of sneakers if I plan to do a lot of walking.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 pm

DarthJ wrote:Modular helmet, jacket, full finger gloves, Duluth fire hose pants, boots. Have yet to find a good pair of riding boots that are comfortable for walking (if anyone has a suggestion, let me know) so I carry a pair of sneakers if I plan to do a lot of walking.
I don't think there is such a thing. Good riding boots have a stiff sole, to protect your feet against foot pegs, brakes, shifter. That makes it very uncomfortable to walk. I do the same thing, carry shoes with me.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Just to add to the original post, I really hate the term" road rash".It really minimizes the reality of the abrading of your skin away. Anyone who has experienced it, knows it is much more than a brush burn. I have seen the disfiguring of fingers, toes, and even faces damaged beyond belief by the abrading impact with asphalt. It is not pretty. And it's very painful. And very expensive. Did I mention painful? I think anyone should wear whatever they want, but be aware of the consequences of their choice. Too many don't think of what could happen.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 am

Let me say first of all that I don't wear flip flops and shorts,but as far as getting dressed like I'm getting on the space shuttle that'll never happen.If it comes to that then I'll sell the bike and use the atv and boat a lot more.I do wear a mesh jacket(with most of the armor removed)when the sun is really beating down.Cooler than bare skin at that point.
I don't go out the door in the morning worrying about what could happen,I go to enjoy myself.I have been t-boned and had my 84 Int written off so yeah I know how it feels but I'll still ride with what I'm comfortable with.It's a great thing that we have choices in our Country's.

Btw I've paid large for health coverage for over 60 years so if something does happen I don't feel bad at all about getting some of that back.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:50 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I don't think there is such a thing. Good riding boots have a stiff sole, to protect your feet against foot pegs, brakes, shifter. That makes it very uncomfortable to walk. I do the same thing, carry shoes with me.

True, I do play around with different insoles and can at least walk into a restaurant or Walmart or Lowes and can shop comfortably.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

goldwinglibrarian
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by goldwinglibrarian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 am

I always cringe when I see another rider without at least a helmet. I agree with other comments addressing the fact that most people riding with no gear have probably never seen a serious accident. I was really dismayed when they abolished the helmet law here in Michigan, knowing first hand what a lifesaver that can be. In 2008 I hit a deer while going about 50 mph. I firmly believe that if I was not wearing a helmet, or been on a smaller bike than my Gold Wing, that I would not have survived that crash. I will admit that I sometimes ride without my jacket, but I will never get on my bike without a helmet.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm

I read this article by Nick Lenatsch in the July 2016 Cycle World and thought it was an interesting statement:

Decisions

Insanely good riding skills are the normal push of these Ride Craft articles because a three-star Marine Corps general once told me that the secret to Marine pilot safety was making their pilots so proficient and skillful that safety followed. That insight has affected everything I write and teach regarding excellent motorcycle riding. Well-trained pilots and riders are safer.

But this article is meant to slot into the time before the ride. The opinion promoted in the next few paragraphs can be adhered to right now, next week, or in the pre-ride moments while you're rolling your bike out of the garage. It isn't a bike mod or a fitness tip; it's a mental step that can make as big a difference in your life as repeatedly practicing your riding skills.

It's about the decisions you make now, while you're out of the saddle, and your unrelenting commitment to these decisions. You will need unrelenting commitment to stick with your decisions because external factors will pull you away from the decisions I'm asking you to make for the rest of your riding career.

Wear your gear every ride: Weather, peer pressure, and confidence will continually assault this decision. Your, experience of healthy, crash-free riding will mislead you into thinking you don't need your gear. "I'm just riding down to the lake." Find a rider who has crashed and ask him if he planned to crash. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, and the proper riding gear does an amazing job of protecting our bodies.

Maybe try this: Take your bare hand and smack your knuckles against a truck bumper. Drag your bare knee or your jean-clad knee along a cement wall. Gently tap your head against the A-pillar of a car. In a relatively painless five minutes you can learn what every one of your veteran-riding friends knows: Wear your gear every ride.

What will help In the heat: Use the cooling powers of evaporation by wetting down your hair under your helmet and your shirt, under your jacket. Buy those scarves and cooling vests you can wet down. And remember, most people pay big money for gym memberships, but you get to sweat the weight off for free. Enjoy the ride and stick with your decision!

Never drink and ride: I have a friend who was pulled over for rolling a stop sign and then arrested for inebriated driving. His blood-alcohol level was well below the state's 0.08 minimum for drunk driving, but he went to jail, paid $8,500 in fines, and had to jump through hoops that were an unbelievable hassle.

A magazine drunk-riding test I took part in back in the '80s proved that our skills became impaired-but well after our judgment flew out the window. We did stupid things with no regard to risk. Between my friend's "inebriated" arrest and the magazine test where I crashed twice in a parking lot, I proved to myself that drinking and riding cannot ever mix.

Please join me in this decision: Become the leader in your group who has water or lemonade or root beer. Distance yourself from riders who drink alcohol because they will decide to pull a wheelie behind you and clip your ankle as you slow for a yellow light.

Reflection: Imagine getting pulled off your bike and stuck in the back of a cop car, the tow truck driver doing his best to tie a bike down on his flatbed for the first time. Imagine getting marched into the station, put in jail, getting a lawyer, raising the bail and fine money, and arranging a ride to work because you can't drive for six months. Impound wants money to get your bike back and so does the insurance company who is raising your rates. Promise yourself right now to never drink and ride.

Regarding Speeding: Were you reading magazines back in the '80s when I wrote that I enjoy speed for two reasons? 1) If I'm late for something drastically important; and 2) If I'm having a great time. That opinion still works for me. In other words, decide to choose the places you enjoy the throttle. Tickets garnered while you're blasting mindlessly along the freeway 25 mph above the limit or breakneck through town are tough to defend. Wasted money!

Realistically: Many of us believe speed limits are too low and are designed for "lesser human beings." I understand. Unfortunately, the law does not. Decide right now to not get those stupid straight-line tickets. Limit your radar risk to rushing for something significantly important or truly enjoying an amazing road. Riders who push the speed everywhere get a lot of tickets and eventually run But of room or time.

Limits: Discomfort is our body's warning of impending disaster; Pay attention to it. Personally, every time my speed is more than 83 mph on curvy roads, my comfort alarm goes off. Yes, that's over the speed limit, and I accept the consequences, but my point is that you feel and respect this comfort alarm in your own riding. I also encourage groups to discuss maximum speeds and adhere to them, as I described in "The Pace" and "The Pace 2.0" (August 2013).

Pre-ride decisions are huge in my life and in the lives of my veteran-rider friends. These off-bike promises to yourself, these commitments to yourself, will save you pain and expense. Promise and commit forever.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Been trying out one of them cooling bandanas. They work good but they dry out pretty fast on a hot day. Just want to mention if your a diabetic be careful of overheating. Being diabetic messes with you bodies ability to control hot temps. Also the meds can make you more susceptible to overheating.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Tue May 01, 2018 8:29 pm

In my “older age” I don’t heal near as quick as I used to so the minimum is a helmet, type 2 jacket and riding boots. With all the new distractions cage drivers have now it seems “defensive riding” has taken on new meaning. Some of my personal rules for riding: never get trapped in traffic without a way out, always watch the wheels on a motionless cage and trust no one.

Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years