Page 1 of 1

GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:28 am
by jensolejensen
Hi.
I downloaded the manuals for GL1100-1200. After unziping I started search.exe, but all I got was a message stating: Unable to register servers.
My platform is Windows 10. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:30 am
by NVSB4
First, welcome to the forum.
Not sure where you downloaded them.
Most that I've seen online aren't in zip format and surely don't have a search.exe command.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:07 pm
by jensolejensen
Thank you for your reply. I have attached a screen shot of the page where I downloaded the zip file (marked red). I double checked the process and got the same result. Hope this gives a clue.
By the way: is there any way of knowing which links are to links to a pay site and which are to downloadable files?

Thanks.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:23 pm
by NVSB4
jensolejensen wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have attached a screen shot of the page where I downloaded the zip file (marked red). I double checked the process and got the same result. Hope this gives a clue.
By the way: is there any way of knowing which links are to links to a pay site and which are to downloadable files? Thanks.
OK, you are trying to download them from this site. Several years ago, Honda came down on websites that were furnishing their copyrighted manuals for free, so WingAdmin removed them.
You can differentiate the ones not available for download here by not being in bold lettering. The other ancillary manuals are available here.
You can still find some out there if you look hard enough. This site is one example.
If you are planning on doing a lot of work on your bike, I still suggest going on Amazon or eBay and getting a Honda Service Manual of your own.
To me it's easier to have it right there in the shop instead of running back and forth.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:43 pm
by jensolejensen
Thanks for elaborating on the structure and the link.
But how about the initial problem?

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 pm
by NVSB4
jensolejensen wrote:Thanks for elaborating on the structure and the link.
But how about the initial problem?
I got the same error when I executed as well.
Digging deeper, it appears that the program was packaged by a third party that wants you to install their viewer.
It also appears that it was meant for Win 95/NT, so I doubt that you will be able to make it work properly, even with messing with it.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 pm
by jensolejensen
Thanks. Since Win NT is long gone, no one are likely to benefit from these files. Could the links be moved to an obsolete section or removed all together? Just thinking....
Any how, I am looking forward to dive into the wealth of information on the site :)

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:47 am
by spiralout
jensolejensen wrote:Thanks. Since Win NT is long gone, no one are likely to benefit from these files. Could the links be moved to an obsolete section or removed all together? Just thinking....
Why? I can run Alchemy on my Win 7 and XP machines. Just because you can't on your OS is no reason to remove the files.
No need for you to try to install Alchemy anyway. It's just a viewer similar to what you see the guys at the dealership parts counters using. Just download the individual parts manuals for each model. They're in pdf format.

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 am
by jensolejensen
Sorry - it was just a thought...
So to recap:
The documentation in the zip file in question is viewed using a program called Alchemy?

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:45 am
by spiralout
jensolejensen wrote:Sorry - it was just a thought...
So to recap:
The documentation in the zip file in question is viewed using a program called Alchemy?
Yes and the documentation is just the parts books. There are no service manuals for download on this site anymore.


It's just a database viewer really, nothing impressive nor helpful unless you work at a parts counter and need to search from a **** load of years and models AND have the databases for all those years and models.
You'll be better of just downloading the .pdfs which look like this



Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:51 pm
by spiralout
You're welcome....
Another takes the money and runs :lol:

Re: GL1100 - GL1200 manuals

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am
by NVSB4
He was in Denmark, so not too many other 1200 riders there.
He'll be back with more questions.