Total Loss in Louisiana

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Re: Total Loss in Louisiana

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:49 pm

virgilmobile wrote:[
This is for everybody...I'm OK...Well as good as OK gets under these circumstances.
I truly didn't mean to panic anybody or hint of any desperation on my part. ... Bout the only thing really needed here is time to recover.
Thanks everybody..Virgil.
I don't believe there was a panic or desperation, just GWD friends wanting to help out. (key word: WANTING)
Building your own abode is grand satisfaction, my dad did and seen it in his face.
Helping you in that re-rebuild is what some are offering since some have time to do so, that is *IF* you don't mind a few extra hands. JUST let us know that schedule.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Post by crock4 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Virgil, I am truly sorry for your loss. My prayers will be for you, your neighbors, and all the folks affected by this calamity. Best of luck with your rebuilding.
Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:33 pm

FM-USA wrote: I don't believe there was a panic or desperation, just GWD friends wanting to help out. (key word: WANTING)
Building your own abode is grand satisfaction, my dad did and seen it in his face.
Helping you in that re-rebuild is what some are offering since some have time to do so, that is *IF* you don't mind a few extra hands. JUST let us know that schedule.
Help is appreciated but not necessary.
Recovering from this is just time consuming regardless of how many hands are being used.

I'm finding that there's so many steps to go through before restoration can begin.

Just finding bleach to clean momma's boots is hard to come by.Walmart had 2 gallons left.
Can't find dishwashing gloves anywhere for her yet.
There's days of work just cleaning out the closets and kitchen cabinets.
Everything in the house must be removed,cleaned if possible,sorted,boxed,stored or taken to the curb in separated piles and a list of every item discarded.
This is before the tile flooring can be removed,cleaned and stacked outside.
No single part can be accomplished in a short time.
In the last 3 days...me and mine have gone through just 3 rooms just moving the stuff outside.Its gonna be a week before I can strip the floor..a month to hang new rock and put tile back.
Sorry I'm rambling...It's the kind of thing that takes too much time for a bunch of people to be here.It ends up being like the road crew...One supervisor,two safety guys,three leaning on a shovel and all watching one guy move a mound of dirt.
We are getting supplies in slowly but there is a high demand for cleaning stuff,building material...it's in short supply...Thousands of houses will have to be repaired by someone.
I suppose the biggest problem is a lack of reputable people here.Too many shady characters doing a half ass job or not finishing the work...
My neighbor has damage to her mobile home... She's been setting on her porch swing for the last 2 days waiting for someone to look at her breaker box so she may get electric back.
I did it for her.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Virgil:
Looks like that was the type of info we needed.
Apparently timing is the key to keep the repairs on schedule, stay ahead of everyone else ordering 'X'.
You need bleach now but by the time it's sent, you're done with that part of the project.

I guess the thought of a few hands helping and WHAM, it's done not gonna happen. Still if folks in there own time "slide by" offering a hand, would it be accepted?

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Wow, that sucks brother. Best wishes to you and your neighbors.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm making a bit of progress.Got electric into my shop.Maybe the house in a few days.I have to inspect every circuit.Found a gcfi outlet outside that let all the magic smoke out.
Hmm... that's what that smell was.
Cleaned the switches in the washing machine and it still worked.By golly I got 2 shirts to wear as soon as they dry on the clothes line...
Woops...what a rain we just had...maybe tomorrow.

Hey...I'm gonna get my bike out of the shed...making my own motor noise :D ...and dump the oil just to see what's inside...If it's clean like my 2 generators were I may be able to salvage it..I plan on filling the crank and intake with diesel fuel to stay off corrosion cause it's gonna be a long while before I can get to work on it.
Fortunately the flood water wasn't contaminated and left just a fine layer of dried clay.cleanup isn't too bad...

Lemme tell...I have to remove every piece of molding in my house after I get the stuff moved out...There's not a pry bar to be found..In any form..In any store in 3 towns.Contractors have been buying everything they can get.I think it's so the average guy can't get tools to do it himself.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Virgil, you make it sound so blasé.
Glad to hear you have patience. ;)

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey Virgil, glad to hear your making some progress. i know its gonna take a while, but you'll get there. once the clean up is done you'll be able to get things back in order.

stuart.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:38 pm

It's absolutely horrific if I think about the whole thing.Enough to send many Far away to start over.
So...I set my mind on just one doable project a day....I usually find a unexpected surprise each time I work in a area..Something that wasn't lost in the flood water or I can make work again.It's simple things that helps ease the depression and keep me moving to the next day.

Like..Hey momma...Open the fridge door (it's been cleaned and on the back patio) and watch her face as it lights up and getting cold.
Just like when we bought it.

We will survive this....life happens...I am one of the very fortunate ones..I can rebuild.
Thousands did loose everything..even their lives.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:15 am

yes, you were blessed. you came away with your lives while some others weren't as fortunate. i did hear that there were some deaths. very sad.

stuart.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Virgil, don't know when you'll get to read this, what with your internet access problems, so just add me to the list of all the others who likely don't know you intimately, but still seem to know you very well, and care for you a lot.
I was very saddened to here about the horrendous upheaval in life, for you and your wife, and your dog. It must be overwhelming to put it mildly.
You've always been very helpful to me in resolving some of my motorcycle's functional issues, and I greatly appreciate that. I also think that you are a pretty level-headed guy, a smart guy, and a guy who will just do whatever it takes to to get life back in gear for the three of you. I'll be praying for you. The very best of luck to you. Keep us up to date as much as you wish, and when you get a chance, and need somebody to talk with, we're always here. I think you must know that.

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you Dave.Encouragment is always appreciated.
I made some progress today.Got power in the house...some of it.Half of the circuits are bad.
Got a couple of window units running.
Humidity is 93° in the house.Starting to see signed of mold.
The AC units will help slow that down.Still have more than half of the house to get furniture and stuff moved out.
We're going back to work Monday.Momma stays with me.I think because everybody here was impacted,were going on short days for a while.Maybe knock off by 1Pm.
At least I have a job to go to.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:35 am

Virgil, that's a good idea. You might run the AC a bit, or a lot colder than normal, for a while. The LONGER it runs, the more dehumidification takes place. That is purely a function of time. If it's not running, it's not removing water from the atmosphere. Just a thought. AC is my business.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:47 am

I have 3 window units running on max.
Even after I gut the house including the interior sheetrock and insulation,it will take another week to dry out.
I measured over 90% humidity inside yesterday.
By the way.I got my 2 generators running fine.They were submersed just like my bike.A good flush of the crankcase 3 times and fuel system and they run like new.
I'm gonna try that on my bike.I already drained it out.Absolutly clear water.No sediment.I filled the engine with diesel fuel..including the carbs to protect it.
Betcha didn't know that a gl1500 engine holds over 4 gallons of diesel inside it.
Attachments

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Just reading this now, and I know someone in BR (Baton Rouge) affected...sounds as bad as Hurricane Katrina years back.
I live far from you, Calgary, Alberta, Canada and yet we've been flooded too, and we mostly get pounded by vicious hail storms. On my 3rd roof and 2nd siding. Nuts. Wipes out cars, RV's, etc.
Anyways, enough of that.

My company builds with SIPs - Structural Insulated Panels. We build basements with them (and all exterior walls, roofs), they are designed for immersion in water. If flooded, hose off and carry on. NO mould.
Assembly is like a lego kit. We provide onsite guidance.

If you have to rebuild, maybe look into building with SIPs from someone in southern USA. Extremely strong (withstands tornado, I have the proof) and much lower energy costs (here: heating, there: A/C).

What disasters have taught me: 1. life and family & pets are critical number 1. Stuff is number 2, a hassle of course but we find in the end, we ended up better! NO ONE likes the process, NO ONE. But we should consider ourselves fortunate we don't live in Aleppo, Syria or other such godforsaken places.

Take care of your health and try not to be stressed, this will hurt you. I know it's hard. We're all praying for you to get back on the road touring which means everything is back to normal.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:10 am

I’m a Canadian, and some might say, “well, it’s not your problem.” I disagree. Americans are very close friends of mine. I’ve never been treated with disrespect, not once in all the years that I’ve travelled in your country, and I respect you for that. I like to think that Americans and Canadians are friends for life, and that we’ll always have each others back. Having said that, as usual, I have a comment to make. And they often have a semi-political slant.
I was just listening to CNN interviewing a representative from one of the hard-hit parishes down in Louisiana. He was being questioned regarding the visit today by your president, and the president’s viewing of the devastation. He thought that the visit was a good move, even though it might have come a bit sooner. He also said that he appreciated the visit made by Donald Trump. If I understand your emergency response protocols, he was saying that with the area being declared a national disaster, that a 75/25 relief policy was in effect, whereby Louisiana state residents will pay 25%, and the fed pay 75%. He said that he was hoping that the president would up that to 90/10, or even more preferably 100%. I hope so too.
This is maybe where I catch some flak, but here goes anyway. I think that the presidents duty was, at the very least, to give the appearance that he was concerned. It’s called proper optics, and appearing presidential, I think. It’s entirely my opinion that he wasn’t simply playing golf one day, when an aide came running up yelling, “there’s a flood in Louisiana!!” I’m sure these golf outings/business negotiations are well pre-planned, and can be postponed to a more appropriate time. If he wasn’t going down to Louisiana, he should have at least had his ass in the White House, acting like he was leading the rescue of his citizens.
Playing a game of golf, and sipping wine in Martha’s Vineyard, while your people are trying to keep their heads above the waterline, seems to me, again a Canadian, irresponsible and insensitive. I think you guys need a change in political attitude.

Sorry!………..don’t get me going!……….Dave
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:39 am

Solina Dave wrote: (I'm saving the repeat and just getting to the meat of the issue. FM)
Playing a game of golf, and sipping wine in Martha’s Vineyard, while your people are trying to keep their heads above the waterline, seems to me, again a Canadian, irresponsible and insensitive. I think you guys need a change in political attitude.

Sorry!………..don’t get me going!……….Dave
You're not wrong at all. Change in political attitude is SO sorely needed. :evil:
Most Americans feel the same way about our politicians, mostly the career politicians. Seems they're the main ones who have little concern for us (ahem) peasants.

Last edited by FM-USA on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Edit: Deleted due to political nature of my response.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Well said Solina Dave!

But the important thing is to help these folks anyway we can. I am sure the Red Cross would appreciate any donations.

If Virgilmobile were to request something specific I am sure we could find a way to make it happen. In fact I recall reading earlier about the need for crowbars. Do you need some VirgilMobile? If so how is the shipping to that area by UPS or others?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Don't worry.Ill get one sooner or later.I may just wait for more to arrive at home depot.
Right now I a bit behind in the steps to remodeling.A few days I hope to catch up on this weekend.(I get 3 days off).
Just about the time I'm ready to get something it's been snatched up by the contractors.
It's too early to buy sheetrock.Theres a 2 day interior drying time required for mold controller yet truckloads pass by me all day long.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Truthfully about the prez coming to visit....
Most of us say the same thing....What's the point...So he can see us living on our porch and have no car to drive due to the government's policy's on construction?

This flooding should never have happened.
Natural drainage has been changed..
Government funded road construction created a dam effect in more than one area.Some of out town officials are suing...
Preliminary estimates of ,just housing damage exceeds 29 billion.

Better all that money "we" spent to have him flown down here,shut down the interstate,time wasted slumming with him be better spent on something that mattered.

Y'all know how much we pay for that jet , motorcade , and the rest of it?
I'll bet that cool million would have gone a long way around here.
Sheesh...it cost me $15 at McDonald's for 2 hamburgers and one order of fries.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:43 pm

I suppose he could have taken a Greyhound Vista Cruiser and sat in the rear. .. .. :roll:

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 am

Just as soon as he stayed at work.Isn't that what were paying him to do.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:13 am

Virgil, I like your positive, get things done, attitude. Seeing the news reports of all the all the "Woe Is Me" folks is just typical of the media. There has to be more like you there in La. that we don't hear about.

As for Obama, I wish he would stay on the golf course for the rest of his term. We're better off.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 am

virgilmobile wrote:Just as soon as he stayed at work.Isn't that what were paying him to do.
:D
Sit there, don't move, be quiet, leave EVERYTHING on the desk alone, forbidden to use phone, 'pen and paper' for his duration of PoTUS.

That alone would raise his trustfulness several points. :lol: