Didn't see a introduce yourself topic area so...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
trickjeep
Motorcycle: 84 GL1200 aspencade
83 yamaha 750 maxim

Didn't see a introduce yourself topic area so...

Post by trickjeep » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Here goes...

New to GW's of this variety, been into Grand Wagoneers(GW) and other Full size jeeps for 20+years hence the screen name. I have a 84 gl1200 aspencade that was given to me by a friend who had purchased a gl1800 and no longer needed the 1200. I also have a 83 yamaha 750 maxim that was given to me as "scrap metal" by another friend. I worked it over and have been riding it for the past year or so. Unfortunately the gl1200 has suffered from neglect and a lack of maintenance and some butchered wiring. I rode it for a couple weeks before the stator died and the radio wiring melted, which I suspect caused the demise of the stator. I am completing the "poor boy" alternator conversion and just have a few kinks to work out. Changed the timing belts and new spark plugs while I was at it. Having some issues with the air ride compressor but will post in a different area, going to download the manual first and work thru it with the multi meter and see what I can find.

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Didn't see a introduce yourself topic area so...

Post by someone548 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 am

Welcome!

Had an xj wagoneer once.... Gotta love wood.

Best of luck with your 1200!

alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Post by alwrmcusn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 am

Welcome from east Tennessee. Do post photos and details on the project if you can.
Every motorcycle will out perform it's rider.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Welcome from the Great White North, sounds like you have a handle on getting the bugs worked out of your new to you ride. As stated we love to see pics of your bike and projects 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

trickjeep
Motorcycle: 84 GL1200 aspencade
83 yamaha 750 maxim

Post by trickjeep » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm going to attempt pics so bare with me...

goldwing
goldwing

Yamaha 750 maxim
Yamaha 750 maxim

The goldwing was missing a luggage lid and after 2 tries I got the correct one off e-bay, I bought another left and needed a right, lol. It looked correct in the pictures...

The yamaha is slightly modified with a 03 suzuki gz250 seat and rear fender and some aftermarket bags.

The 2 bikes ride so differently from each other, the yamaha feels like a more traditional bike with alot of lean to steer versus the 'wing thats less lean and more steering. Not good or bad either way just a very different feel. I like both.