Cold weather stamina

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Haskinhale
Motorcycle: 1991 anniversary interstate

Cold weather stamina

Post by Haskinhale » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 am

Hi all, planning to pick up my new 1996 se on Saturday. I've got about a 3 and a half hour ride to get it home. Problem is supposed to be 27 degrees. I know I can make it just not looking forward to it. How long can you guys ride at that temp without electric gear? Just curious. And no I don't have a vehicle to pull a trailer.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Re: Cold weather stamina

Post by brettchallenger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 am

Below freezing - about 7 minutes
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 am

The issue isn't going to be the ambient temperature, but the wind chill at speed.
If it's 27 sitting still, it's going to feel in the single digits when going 55.
And that's not counting any other wind going on.

I would definitely dress in multiple layers.
Also take your time and not try to "make it" or push yourself by going longer than comfortable.
If you have to stop to warm up, do it.

On the SE models, there are flaps by the feet (controlled by a big knob under the right front speaker) that will blow hot air on your feet.
Open up the lower vents as well to get some engine heat blowing through.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

2wheelscram
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Post by 2wheelscram » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:52 am

For me in cold weather, it's always my feet that bother me first. If your riding boots aren't up for the cold, consider battery powered heated sock for the journey. I've not used them myself (yet)!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am

How long can one ride in the cold without stopping?? That depends on many things but especially what you do wear. Good longjohns, good gloves with good liners, good boots with socks that hold warmth and so on have a lot to do with how long you can ride! How to dress is important as well as what you wear on the outer layer. You might consider wearing a rainsuit as you outer garment to block wind better.

But the real key is to manage yourself. You can stop at gas stations, convenience stores and so forth to get out of the cold and warm up a bit. I have stopped at those places to get warm and in summer to get cool. Fast food restaurants are also good and you can usually get free water to drink. While most will want a cup of coffee, I tend to go for hot chocolate but with either you have to be aware of the caffeine intake and how that effects you in the cold. Don't be ashamed to stop and get warm. This is better than getting too cold and then sick!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 am

I've done quite a few miles (hundreds) with temps in the twenties. I'll wear a long sleeve tee & a hoody under my heavy jacket/w lining. For pants, I have some Cortech kevlar cargo pants that are great. If you only have jeans, wear some wind pants over them. You don't want the wind to get to the skin. Even your rainsuit will work. I wear workboots with composite toe-no steel- and have been fine. If need be though, I have a couple of those little heat packs I can put in them and my gloves. I also carry some lightweight knee pads, only because I'm old and they really help keep my arthritic knees warm, if they start to get cold. Also, under my fullface helmet,I wear a thin painters balaclava. It really helps to keep the head warm and costs a couple of bucks at the paint store. It's important to stop often so you don't get a chill. As others said, layers work well-you can always take some off, but it's tough to add more if you don't have them. One other point. bring some chap stick and use it, and you may want to apply a thin layer of vasoline to protect your cheeks from windburn. The Goldwing has remarkable weather protection. Keep a sharp eye out for black ice, and sand on the pavement and you'll enjoy the ride!

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm

It's really only uncomfortable until hypothermia sets in... :mrgreen:
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm

You live in Michigan. I'd expect that you would already have a good set of electrically warmed gear. If you can afford to buy another bike, maybe you should consider buying some electric gear too. With electric gloves, jacket liner and shoe insoles and a proper pair of over pants, you will not be affected by the cold on a dry cold day. It would only take you a few minutes to connect the electric heat controller to the new bike. Do yourself a favor, don't plan a long ride where hypothermia is your destination.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:17 pm

2wheelscram wrote:For me in cold weather, it's always my feet that bother me first. If your riding boots aren't up for the cold, consider battery powered heated sock for the journey. I've not used them myself (yet)!
Get the heat pack inserts for a dollar or 2. Some for your feet and some for your hands. Make sure your windshield is all the way up too.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

Lumberrunner
Motorcycle: 1991 interstate anniversary edition

Post by Lumberrunner » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for the replies everybody. I plan on breaking the trip up in 60 mile intervals. I have pushed through cold for longer than that and I know I got hypothermic. I'm not gonna push myself like that again. I have heated gear in my future just not ready to purchase at this time. So I think 60 miles is doable then stop for some hot chocolate and I'll be fine. I really don't make it a regular habit to ride in anything below freezing. Just on rare occasions. I did ride one morning 45 miles to work when it was 14 degrees out on a 2004 honda shadow 750. I Looked like the guys from dumb and dumber when I got off the bike froze in position.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Though riding in freezing weather is a problem, riding in below 40 degrees at any time will also cause issues.
At least get some heated gloves and a controller. There are some Gerbings gloves on closeout at Revzilla for a GREAT price.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gyd ... 20Combined
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm

And, for $69.99 you can get a Heat-Troller from Amazon, or any other suitable vendor.
Revzilla sells them too https://www.revzilla.com/product/firstg ... at-troller
Totally compatible with Gerbing's.
Your hands will thank you.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Uhaul it will be very cold and the danger of an icy spot Uhaul or you could rent a Uhaul and have the bike safely strapped in the back of the Uhaul while you are sitting in heated cab of the Uhaul sipping hot coffee.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 pm

MikeB wrote:And, for $69.99 you can get a Heat-Troller from Amazon, or any other suitable vendor.
Revzilla sells them too https://www.revzilla.com/product/firstg ... at-troller
Totally compatible with Gerbing's.
Your hands will thank you.
Wow, $70. I really need to start making these. I could probably make one for about $10 in parts.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 pm

WingAdmin wrote: Wow, $70. I really need to start making these. I could probably make one for about $10 in parts.
I am sure you can. Let us know when you have some built. We will hit you up for a couple.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

pepepeririri
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by pepepeririri » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 am

Humidity is the real problem. You have to stop it by using impermeable cloths.

Northwings

Post by Northwings » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 am

I have no trouble riding an hour or more in freezing temperatures without electric clothing and I am old with arthritis. The answer is snowmobile gear! It is specifically designed for low temperatures and high wind. The helmet has gap seals to match the jacket. The gloves are insulated, wind and waterproof. The bib pants slip on over jeans and boots. The boots are waterproof and have thick felt liners. This winter I switched back and forth between my GL 1800 and my Yamaha Venture snowmobile, but clothing stayed the same. If you can ride 70 mph at zero degrees on a sled, you can ride 50 mph at thirty degrees on a heavily faired GL. Just watch out for ice and keep out of the salt!

bugsbd
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing

Post by bugsbd » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I know what he is saying, my wife hates to ride in the cold and I love it, I have spent hundreds of dollars on electric wear to keep her warm and nothing works. She hates it, and even dresses in layers. The freeze out gear really helps me but does nothing for her, even the heated seat and grips don't help much for her.. Maybe circulation problems is the issue. But she loves to ride so our stops are longer than our rides but at least she is a trooper about it. Just be sensitive to them.

Northwings

Post by Northwings » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm

I know what you mean, bugsbd. My wife will ride on the snowmobile in any weather, but quits the bike at about the same temperature as yours. I think a lot of it is psychological, but don't tell them that!

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Northwings wrote:..... I think a lot of it is psychological, but don't tell them that!

That doesn't just apply to riding, either!

diversity48
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i Interstate, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 1985 BMW K100RS 86 venture royale

Post by diversity48 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:46 pm

My opinion? Figure out a way to get a heated liner and gloves, some jeans covers (i have joe rocket but there are many others), full face helmet...you'll be good to go. How can you ride in Michigan without heated gear? Cycle Gear has some cheap stuff that seems to hold up well,

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Post by Old Wing Man » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:48 am

While living in Alberta Canada, I managed to ride my 1500 Kawasaki Vulcan (with windshield only) at least once a month all thru winter. My limiting factor was getting out of my sub-division and onto main streets because they didn't plow the sub streets so I had to wait for a Chinook to melt the ice. I have ridden (only about an hour ride each way) in temps of minus 30 without any problems. Good insulated gloves, some good thermal underwear, and a good insulated windbreaker over jeans is all I ever needed. Also a balaclava to keep the cold air off my neck. I just used my nylon shell duck down jacket over flannel shirt and thermal underwear and I was good to go.
My hands would start to get cold after about an hour which is about the only problem I had. If I had my Goldwing up there with all the shrouds to keep the air off, I think I could have road much farther. Luckily the biker hangout was just a pleasant ride up into the mountains from Calgary. The air was so dry there and the main roads were cleared and never had ice buildup on them, so bikers who could brave the cold could ride all winter long.

Oh, yeah, I did buy a snowmobile suit to use when riding up there but after a couple of uses, I found that my ice fishing clothing(as described above)worked plenty well and I didn't need the heavy and stiff clothing. I still have the suit taking up space in my closet. I may need it to ride in the winter around here due to the high humidity. +30F here feels colder than -30F up in Alberta due to it really low humidity

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 am

Haskinhale wrote:Hi all, planning to pick up my new 1996 se on Saturday. I've got about a 3 and a half hour ride to get it home. Problem is supposed to be 27 degrees. I know I can make it just not looking forward to it. How long can you guys ride at that temp without electric gear? Just curious. And no I don't have a vehicle to pull a trailer.
In T-Shirts I'm good to about 10*F and need a sweatshirt below that.
LOL, no, not only said clothing. It's what I wear under the same outerwear. I also wear my summer socks and shoes.
"How it's done." (TV show slogan?)
I have a coat with a long sleeved, down filled vest. The pants are basic blue-jeans with 100 Thinsulate. Gloves are layered depending on the weather & it's moisture content. The biggest asset you can have in gloves is "Glove Covers". They will hold your glove inventory to 3 tops. One pair each of summer, cool spring and deep winter.
I've tried 3 different styles of winter gloves, 5 finger, mittens and the "Trigger finger" style. The latter is my favorite to ride down to -17*F. Yes that is MINUS 17.
AND IF YOU'RE WONDERING, just jeans? No, I have bib style ski-pants. Lightweight ones for -5*F and a heavy pair for lower than that. The heavy pair are EXTRA LONG legs to partly cover the shoes to keep air from filtering in. THAT folks is the KEY to riding s really cold temps, dead air space.
Lastly, I refrain from wearing a helmet. "TO ME" they hinder my safety BUT will wear one WHEN i feel it's needed. DON'T BOTHER CHIMING IN, WE'VE HEARD ENOUGH. To each it's own. ANYWAYS: I wear a troopers hat that I've modified slightly.
MY BLOG on this is done... I think... But we'll see... Maybe. ;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Post by Old Wing Man » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:53 am

In addition to above post, heated gloves would have made even long rides comfortable. I found that fingers get cold way before anything else even with the best insulated gloves. I just don't ride enough in cold weather to justify the cost of any heated equipment. Insulated boots with thick wool socks kept my feet toasty warm, but those darned fingers just would not stay warm. I think maybe gripping the handbars contributed to that also.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Haskinhale wrote:Hi all, planning to pick up my new 1996 se on Saturday. I've got about a 3 and a half hour ride to get it home. Problem is supposed to be 27 degrees. I know I can make it just not looking forward to it. How long can you guys ride at that temp without electric gear? Just curious. And no I don't have a vehicle to pull a trailer.
We have not heard from the original poster yet. Did he pick up the bike? What did he do to stay comfortable? Is he home yet? How was the trip? How does he like the new ride?

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA