Roadsmith Comfort Controls

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Roadsmith Comfort Controls

Post by MiWinger51 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 am

I have been looking into ways to make riding more comfortable. Was looking at highway pegs when I came across an article on Roadsmith Comfort Controls. They would appear to offer a better riding position for a man my size. (6'3") I know they are pricey but, being a machine shop owner, I also know how expensive custom machining is these days. With a set of highway boards and pegs being upwards of $400-$500, the price doesn't seem too bad since the comfort controls would replace both of the other options. Anyone using them? Your feelings about them?

Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: Roadsmith Comfort Controls

Post by cyberlon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Although I do not have direct experience with the Roadsmith Comfort Controls, I am curious what is not comfortable concerning your riding position. I'm a bit taller than you, and find stock fits me well, but everyone is different, and tastes differ as well. A free site (http://cycle-ergo.com/) allows you to see what changes to your bike will do to your body. It simulates moving the handlebars, pegs, seat placement, seat rise, and a few other options. As a bonus, the aforementioned site does not require that you create an account!

MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Well, at 66 years of age I am not as nimble as I once was. I feel a little cramped and get stiffness and cramping in my knees and legs. Sometimes at a stop light I stretch out and get some relief. Some days are worse than others. Just wondering about different options. Thanks for the link. It is very infomative.
Al

V-Tour
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Goldwing
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Ex
2016 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Post by V-Tour » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 am

Wireguy51, I have the Roadsmith Comfort Controls installed on my (new to me) 2012 GL1800. They come with the bike. For going down the road they are fantastic.

That said, there is a but. Probably not a good thing to say but the truth is the truth. I have only had the bike for a month and put a little over 5K on it. As said for highway travel and normal gentle riding they are great. My problem is that I do a lot of technical riding in mountains with hairpin curves and tight high speed sweeps. For that riding they drag. I thought that it was my technique so over this last weekend took the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic to try and overcome the dragging. Didn't work. The course in Gilbert AZ was great but I wore off about half of the rub buttons on the pegs in one day of class.

So the short of it all is that this week I will be arranging to have them removed and replaced with the standard controls so later this summer if it works out I can take the Top Gun rider course and start using the Goldwing is some competition like the police gymkhana events.

So if you are still interested I will be offering this for sale after they revert my bike.
V-Tour

MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 pm

V-Tour wrote:Wireguy51, I have the Roadsmith Comfort Controls installed on my (new to me) 2012 GL1800. They come with the bike. For going down the road they are fantastic.

That said, there is a but. Probably not a good thing to say but the truth is the truth. I have only had the bike for a month and put a little over 5K on it. As said for highway travel and normal gentle riding they are great. My problem is that I do a lot of technical riding in mountains with hairpin curves and tight high speed sweeps. For that riding they drag. I thought that it was my technique so over this last weekend took the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic to try and overcome the dragging. Didn't work. The course in Gilbert AZ was great but I wore off about half of the rub buttons on the pegs in one day of class.

So the short of it all is that this week I will be arranging to have them removed and replaced with the standard controls so later this summer if it works out I can take the Top Gun rider course and start using the Goldwing is some competition like the police gymkhana events.

So if you are still interested I will be offering this for sale after they revert my bike.
V-Tour
I might be interested as I am 66 years old and don't do to many hairpin turns anymore. ;-) Let me know what you need for them when you are ready to let them go. At the right price I'll probably take them. Do a private response with the price, etc.
Al

RoadRunner15
Motorcycle: 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour DCT Air Bag

Post by RoadRunner15 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 am

I just ordered the Roadsmith Comfort Controls from a local trike builder who deals with Roadsmith, so I will be able to give you a better idea of comfort value in a few weeks. I to am approaching 65 with very bad knees and the legs forward -- even 3 inches forward and 1 inch down, should provide some relief. I do have Mic-O-Pegs for those times when I really have to stretch the legs.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Post by m2102 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:57 am

I have a road smith trike but not the comfort kit. I'm 6'3" have a replaced left hip, 3 screws in my right hip from a fall in ice, and a right knee that needs replaced. I had a cushion from Wal-Mart to raise me up some then got a "purple cushion" on top of that. Purple cushion helps the back side ache on longer rides. They both together helped but didn't seem like enough. I took the Wal-Mart cushion off and left the purple. It did make a positive difference. My next addition is the peg lowering brackets. Have to replace the oem with steel, oem will crack and break off. Other than hiway pegs haven't done any other mods.

RoadRunner15
Motorcycle: 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour DCT Air Bag

Post by RoadRunner15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:31 am

When I had my Russell Day-Long Saddle made, I had them build it to position me one inch higher and two inches back. Having had 6 knee surgeries (four on the right knee). I need to alter my normal seating position. As I said, I do have Mic-O-Pegs for highway use.