Crashed my GL1100I: What Would You Do?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tbolden
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade
1999 Valkyrie
2002 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Crashed my GL1100I: What Would You Do?

Post by tbolden » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I have a complete set of 1980 Interstate fairing, bags, box & mounting hardware that were removed to make a bare Goldwing for my sister. They are taking up needed space in my garage, I'm located in Lakewood Colorado (Denver area). Let me know if you're interested, I can provide pictures.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:56 pm

wireguy51 wrote:Pat, sorry to hear that you were in a wreck. You are extremely lucky to not be hurt seriously. As for your bike, whether to repair or replace is a decision you have to make. I am just down the road from you and I have a beautiful 87 Aspencade that I am selling. The bike is listed on the for sale forum. It has less than 10,000 miles and is all original. It runs great and looks like new. If you would like to see it, let me know.
Al
That is a very pretty '87 Aspencade wireguy51. The '87 was the last of the GL1200's and really was the best of the lot. And the color looks like it matches Pat's.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

browntuna5647
Motorcycle: "1982 GL1100A Aspencade"

Post by browntuna5647 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Glad your OK . My friend used to ride on the racing asphalt back in the mid 70's and he told me that when he went down at 140, that his full face helmet wore clear down on the front to nothing. But he didn't get a scratch. Ever since he told me that, I've never even thought about wearing anything but a full face. As far as the bike goes, I didn't think it looked all that bad. I just completed restoring my 82 Aspencade and was able to purchase the engine guards, oil filter housing, footpegs, mirrors , all from e-bay. The prices weren't all that bad either. I purchased a windshield from Dennis Kirk , and the bike looks spectacular for an 82. I don't know how many miles are on your bike , so that would be somewhat of a deciding factor. Good luck.

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I (sold),1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N, 1986 VT1100C Shadow

Post by bikommuter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:52 pm

It may be a bit late, but I have an offer for you. My 83 Interstate blew a head gasket or 2 :o last fall right before I was going to park it for the winter anyway. I also bought a 04 VTX 1800N that I spent megabucks (for me) :twisted: to get the way I wanted it. This spring, I decided that I didn't have the energy to try an engine job. My offer is, if you are willing to pay shipping, it's yours FREE. It did start in the spring, but the smoke was horrendous. The rest, is really good. I have a lot more pictures besides my avatar. I can detail fairly well what I did to get it into drivable condition if you're interested. Swap your good motor into my good frame and have a sweet ride. I have the number of a guy that does motorcycle transport too, if you want it. Just post a reply and we'll talk.

GreggN
Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T. Couldn't fix the goldwing anymore.

Post by GreggN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Hey Pat,
Hope you're recovery is coming along.

I had an '85 gl1500i that suffered considerable damage to the plastic parts when I laid it down. The Honda shop gave me a repair estimate that was far more than the bike was worth, so I was going to sell it for scrap. My friend spent all winter riveting it back together and replacing parts from eBay. That bike lasted a couple more years, before the turn signals stopped working. I spent months searching for the replacement part, and finally gave up.

Even though I enjoyed getting a couple more years out of my GoldWing, my advice would be to get a newer bike. As someone else already said, if you like riding - then don't spend all your time repairing your bike - get back on the road.

support4pc
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade Trike

Post by support4pc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Definitely invest in a good modular helmet and make sure you look for good ventilation since that's one of the big reasons people prefer less helmet. I wear a Nolan but I have had full face helmets that do a much better job of ventilation. As for restoring your bike I have a 1984 GL1200A Trike that I originally bought for $2000.00 and have so far put another $15000.00 into fixing issues and upgrading suspension etc. so it's definitely not for the faint of heart. It's really hard to get parts for especially if you have to rebuild an engine at some point. I still have my seats to redo and a paint job before I'll fell it's done but I love her. I entered her into my first bike show this year and won my class so I guess it's OK. Sure learned a lot but there are some jobs I'm just not comfortable tackling. Whatever you decide best of luck :-)!
Attachments

zeusman100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1983 GL100A Aspencade

Post by zeusman100 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:03 pm

bikommuter wrote:It may be a bit late, but I have an offer for you. My 83 Interstate blew a head gasket or 2 :o last fall right before I was going to park it for the winter anyway. I also bought a 04 VTX 1800N that I spent megabucks (for me) :twisted: to get the way I wanted it. This spring, I decided that I didn't have the energy to try an engine job. My offer is, if you are willing to pay shipping, it's yours FREE. It did start in the spring, but the smoke was horrendous. The rest, is really good. I have a lot more pictures besides my avatar. I can detail fairly well what I did to get it into drivable condition if you're interested. Swap your good motor into my good frame and have a sweet ride. I have the number of a guy that does motorcycle transport too, if you want it. Just post a reply and we'll talk.
This is better than my offer, Pat. This might be the way to go!!

I have to say that there are some really good and helpful people here. Glad to see the Goldwing Family looking out!!

Zeus

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:... get feedback from the many long time Wingers out there about what they would do with the bike. ....
Old phrase holds true,
CHEAPER TO KEEP HER
;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:26 am

support4pc wrote:Definitely invest in a good modular helmet and make sure you look for good ventilation since that's one of the big reasons people prefer less helmet. I wear a Nolan but I have had full face helmets that do a much better job of ventilation. As for restoring your bike I have a 1984 GL1200A Trike that I originally bought for $2000.00 and have so far put another $15000.00 into fixing issues and upgrading suspension etc. so it's definitely not for the faint of heart. It's really hard to get parts for especially if you have to rebuild an engine at some point. I still have my seats to redo and a paint job before I'll fell it's done but I love her. I entered her into my first bike show this year and won my class so I guess it's OK. Sure learned a lot but there are some jobs I'm just not comfortable tackling. Whatever you decide best of luck :-)!
That is a sweet looking trike. What kind of kit did you use? Did you do it yourself or did you have someone do the conversion? If I end up keeping my 1200 that might be something I would do.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

dwarven1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by dwarven1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:29 am

The generosity of folks on this board is amazing. Wonderful to see.
FM-USA wrote:Old phrase holds true,
CHEAPER TO KEEP HER
;)
*wince* Perhaps, but not always by all that much. Just had to drop a rebuilt motor into my Subaru. (had them do the clutch, too, since there was 215K on that as well). $3000 later, my credit card is whimpering and walking funny. :x

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 am

bikommuter wrote:It may be a bit late, but I have an offer for you. My 83 Interstate blew a head gasket or 2 :o last fall right before I was going to park it for the winter anyway. I also bought a 04 VTX 1800N that I spent megabucks (for me) :twisted: to get the way I wanted it. This spring, I decided that I didn't have the energy to try an engine job. My offer is, if you are willing to pay shipping, it's yours FREE. It did start in the spring, but the smoke was horrendous. The rest, is really good. I have a lot more pictures besides my avatar. I can detail fairly well what I did to get it into drivable condition if you're interested. Swap your good motor into my good frame and have a sweet ride. I have the number of a guy that does motorcycle transport too, if you want it. Just post a reply and we'll talk.
Would love to take you up on this offer! I will P.M. you. Thank you so much.

lopet
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by lopet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Glad to see that you’re fairly all right. A full face or a flip up helmet is a must. Look at mine after I kissed the asphalt in 2014. I think you can get spare parts form braked up GL1100 similar to yours. Please get you and it (the GL110) on the road again.
Attachments

syjl
Motorcycle: 1994 Aspencade

Post by syjl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:59 pm

I will give you an 1100 Aspencade parts bike if you want it.
Located in Las Vegas. syjl yahoo

David R
Motorcycle: 1980 Gl1100 Interstate

Post by David R » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I would sell you my 1980 Interstate but i am on the east coast of Canada so it would be quite a run.Glad you are recoveringPCIN0124.JPG
Attachments

tiretread
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by tiretread » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:07 am

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you and your wife were able to walk away.

I have a low mileage 82 for sale, but I am located in Sumter, SC.

Loewen
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 Interstate

Post by Loewen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Sorry to hear about the crash,glad you are okay,and not a quiter,if you want to rebuild her I have an 83' Aspencade that you could use the headlight faring and saddle boxes but the front lower side farings are already gone as well as the wind shield ,it has a good working clutch and handle,tho and these parts are near Chico,CA,let me know 530-520-3528

popcraig
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 interstate
1981 XJ650 Maxim
1997 VS800GL Intruder

Post by popcraig » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Pat, Glad you'll recover. As for what to do next, there are a lot of things to consider:
How much do you like to work on bikes and what are your skill levels. Obviously, if you can do the work yourself, it will cost a lot less. I was hit by someone changing lanes without looking. Short story, the bike was totaled. I took the insurance money and kept the bike. I bought all the parts on Craigslist and eBay and did all the labor and painting myself. End product was better than ever and I still had 1/2 the insurance money left. (BTW this site has some very good articles on repairing your bike including ABS plastic repairs).
If you get a shop or dealer to do the repairs, it will probably run a lot more than the insurance will cover because of the bike's age. If it is done good enough, you could maybe sell it as a completely restored bike and break even. But if you want to sell the bike and get a different one, why go to all that hassle?
The 3rd option is to get the insurance money and bike and sell or part out the bike.
Finally, if you really love THAT bike, you can eat the cost and keep something that is near and dear to you.
I hope this helps,
PopCraig

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:29 am

wireguy51 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:30 pm
Pat, sorry to hear that you were in a wreck. You are extremely lucky to not be hurt seriously. As for your bike, whether to repair or replace is a decision you have to make. I am just down the road from you and I have a beautiful 87 Aspencade that I am selling. The bike is listed on the for sale forum. It has less than 10,000 miles and is all original. It runs great and looks like new. If you would like to see it, let me know.
Al
I tried to look for the bike you have for sale, but was not able to locate it. Is there a way you could post a link or a lesson to find it for a guy that doesn't have the best site searching abilities? Thanks.

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:10 am

Just a quick note to let everyone that made some really nice offers to me know that I wasn't ignoring you. Up until last Thursday I wasn't feeling the best yet. Not getting very much sleep, as my concussion symptoms would not allow me to lay flat without getting dizzy. So I had to sleep in a lazy boy, and I find that a difficult way to get proper rest.

I was assure by the Dr. that I would be fine, and concussion symptoms sometimes take up to two months to right themselves. Low and behold he was right. I managed to be able to lay flat and get some proper rest. Then when I was felling better, I came to the site to review and answer people on their offers, the site was down. Thanks again WingAdmin for getting her up and running again.

I had an awesome offer from a gentleman from New York for a free parts bike, but his location is not Tractor Tailor accessible so finding shipping for it has been a struggle. One guy has the ability to provide shipping with a pickup truck and trailer, but is not available to do that for another six weeks. I had thought about renting a trailer and going to pick it up myself, but my trailer hitch has a problem, my brother-in-law bent it out of shape when he used my truck to transport some sod to fill in his pool hole. I am now looking into fixing the hitch, and still my be able to fetch the bike myself. I've just been busy trying to get back into the swing of working and a normal life, so this stuff has been a little bit secondary. But I miss riding so much!!! Any suggestions or input on this would be welcomed.

This past weekend I did manage to take off all the wounded parts and then get the bike back into it's shed. I needed assistance pushing it to it's spot as my wrist and shoulder still bark when over used. It would run when I replace the clutch handle that got trashed and I should be finding one of those soon. It would just have made moving it from the driveway to it's shed easier.

I am not looking for any sympathy here, just want people to know that I am reviewing the options and offers that were made and will figure out what I am going to do soon. Thanks for your time.

Here is a quick photo of when I first started to remove damaged parts this weekend. I'll post a more recent pic of what it looks like with all the damaged parts removed when I get a chance.

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Just want to say thanks again to all of you that took the time to help me out. What a great site with bunches of groovy people. (Groovy means really cool for all you younger ones on here).

I went the route of upgrading a bit. I bought a 1987 Goldwing GL1200 Interstate. 27,720 original miles.

Just one quick question...Does the "3 little wires" trick pertain to 1987's as well as '82's? I looked around the site, but I'm not the best looker arounder.

Well, I'm off to get a new windshield (mine's dingy), and stainless steel braided brake lines. Have fun, and play nice.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:29 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 pm

I went the route of upgrading a bit. I bought a 1987 Goldwing GL1200 Interstate. 27,720 original miles.
A beautiful, and very groovy, 1200 Pat. I think you took the right route stepping up to that bike. Now you can do some nice easy riding, and maybe restore your '82 at your own pace. Maybe strip it naked and ride it, or sell it. You're in the riders seat now.

Good luck, and have a safe ride...........................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

zeusman100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1983 GL100A Aspencade

Post by zeusman100 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 pm
Just want to say thanks again to all of you that took the time to help me out. What a great site with bunches of groovy people. (Groovy means really cool for all you younger ones on here).

Just one quick question...Does the "3 little wires" trick pertain to 1987's as well as '82's? I looked around the site, but I'm not the best looker arounder.

Well, I'm off to get a new windshield (mine's dingy), and stainless steel braided brake lines. Have fun, and play nice.
WOW Pat!! That's a very nice Bike!! Congratulations to you!! If you plan to fix your other bike, my offer still stands for as long as I have these parts.

Zeus

pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by pixel288 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Yep. 3 yellow wire plug removal, cut and splice applies to ALL 4 cylinder wings. Just the Achilles Heel of the design. Put in a voltage gauge as well, just to keep an eye.

Phil

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am

I'm glad to see your OK. I would consider replacing your current wing. I know we are attached to our motorcycles
but sometimes we need to think about how safe will it be if I fix it?

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 am

Dissregard my last post I see you got another wing and a nice looking bike at that.