Directions for best scenic route

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
RodneyH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Directions for best scenic route

Post by RodneyH »

Id like some advice from folks who ride in the south carolina areas. We live in Spartanburg and would like to go down to Charleston then to Southport NC (where they filmed "safe haven", then to the Wilmington NC area. I don't imagine we'll see any great views like we would if we were going to NC on the blue ridge parkway but i was hoping some of you may have taken a similar route and could kinda fill me in on some places that we wouldn't want to miss. I bought the 1999 gl1500SE about 4 months or so ago and have not put over 100 miles on it because I wanted it checked out by the mechanic. It'll be ready for pickup tomorrow with all new fluids,brakes, agm battery, and about everything else that should be done to a bike that I know almost nothing about. The mechanic said it's very obvious that its been well looked after, so I guess we're about ready for our 1st trip as soon as we can figure out the best route with the best scenery. Anyhow, any tips will certainly be appreciated. Thanks and stay safe.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Directions for best scenic route

Post by seelyark1 »

Don't know too much about scenic route, but old route 17 runs most of your trip. Did your mechanic replace the timing belts? Do you know when they were last changed? Could be very expensive if this was missed in maintenance.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave
RodneyH

Post by RodneyH »

He changed all the fluids. Oil, coolant, final drive, clutch, brakes, fixed any lights that were not working. The main reason I took the bike in was to have the timing belts changed but he convinced me not to. He said in his 32 years of working on them he's never seen one break. He also told me the previous owner has kept the bike well maintained and had already changed the alternator to a compufire. I do know that the previous owner was in charge of the local Goldwing club in this area so I am hoping that he had the belts changed during the time he had the bike. The man has passed away now but his son is who sold me the bike. When I asked about the timing belts before I bought it from him he said he could not guarantee they had been changed but he could guarantee that his dad took the bike in for any and all recommended service that Honda recommends. So im just hoping they have been changed and if not, im just hoping the belts will last.
seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

Maybe you can check with the dealer that he took it to. Sure hope you are correct. Enjoy it and have a safe ride. :)
RodneyH

Post by RodneyH »

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already called the guy I bought it from and he says he don't know where his dad took it to for maintenance. He sure wasn't about to go any trouble to help me find out either. I asked him if he knew any members of his dads Goldwing club and he said no. Im just hoping that since he put a new compufire alt on the bike that he also had the belts changed.
seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

You could all ways google for the local Goldwing club if you know where he lived. It is cheap insurance to replace them yourself and then you know for sure. It is not hard to do, and you can get the belts at your local NAPA. The directions on how to do it are here on this site, and you will learn more about your bike at the same time. Directions are in the How-To-Articles section as well as lots of other good info. Enjoy! :)