Confused

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
rlaboss
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Confused

Post by rlaboss »

I bought a very well looked after '84 Aspencade last year from a Suzuki dealership. The previous owner had inherited the bike from his late father and decided he'd rather have an off road bike, so he traded in the Wing. The dealership did their inspection and we struck a deal.
It came with new tires & brakes and lots of bling. Nice bike. The first time I took my wife for a spin we headed out on the highway and immediately we both noticed a burning rubber smell. I stopped at the first exit to find the right sidewall on the rear wheel was gouged out...deep. Rubber shavings everywhere. Long story short, the dealership picked up the bike and replaced the tire gratis. Nice.
Turns out whoever had mounted the previous new tire(not the dealership) hadn't done it properly and a side bag bolt carved out the sidewall. Rode the rest of the summer incident free.
Stored the bike for the winter at my daughters, under cover in their carport. On the centre stand.
Just got ready to go the other day but when I dropped it off the stand, noticed the rear tire was pretty much flat. Dug out a compressor only to find the valve stem was shot - split wide open. Tried to inflate the tire with no luck. OK, I'm told when a tire is changed, the same cannot be said for the stem.
I've never worked in a tire shop of any kind, let alone a bike shop but I'm told pulling the rear wheel off this bike is a bitch. Why would you NOT check to see if the stem is in good order?! Pretty sure this fix will not be on the house but I'm still shaking my head that a $10 update was not applied while the wheel was off last summer.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Confused

Post by harvey01 »

I think we need to look at this situation from the dealers perspective. He came and got the bike, took it to his shop and put a new tire on the rear( it is not a super difficult job, but not that easy either) and what did he charge you? You didn't mention any cost so I assume ( Not a good thing to do ) it was free to make you the customer happy with your purchase. Quite a cost on his part! Probably ate up a good chunk of his profit from the sale, but hopefully the action gained him a good customer--YOU.

When they got the bike to the shop, he probably told the tech to change the rear tire and that they were loosing money on the deal so be a quick as possible! So the tech changed the tire, put it back together and got the bike back to you. He probably never really looked at the valve stem.

My experience with most motorcycle dealers is when they change a tire they do not fool with the valve stem, whereas most car tire folks realize they can get an extra few dollars by installing new valve stems so they push them. And you never see a motorcycle tire installer trying to sell you a roadhazard warranty like you do with a car!

Added to all of the above the tech was probably young, did not like to change tires and had not learned to be observant.

You might pull the wheel and look for a angled metal stem instead of the standard rubber one to have a little more quality.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
rlaboss

Post by rlaboss »

"Long story short, the dealership picked up the bike and replaced the tire, gratis. Nice. ..." - 'gratis' = free. You missed that sentence?
The safety of the bike is pretty much job 1 when they sell a used one. The fact that the tire situation could have caused a major failure dictated they fix it for free...I didn't even have to ask.
If valve stems are not changed, by default, unless you specifically ask for it, then lesson learned, on my part.
It's one 'upsell', I wish he'd asked me.
cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon »

Been having some issues with repair shops myself, lately, but I can also see it this way:
The dealership already assumed the tire was good, and they didn't do the shoddy job in the first place. The stem may not have had any outward signs of failure, as you mentioned that it lasted the rest of the summer, anyway. While riding it regularly that summer, I'm sure you checked your tire pressure, so you had your own eyes on it several times and didn't see any signs of failure. I'm just glad you noticed it before hitting the streets this spring and having a catastrophic, but preventable, incident.
thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

Unfortunately anything rubber perishes with time, have you checked the timing belts and brake lines? The belts need to be changed every 5 years or so regardless of mileage (just due to ageing). As stated very few motorcycle shops change the valve stem seals, I replaced all my stems with metal bolt in ones that are angled, no rubber to really perish and makes it easier to get an air line on the valve. As stated the valve might not have shown any outward signs of cracking when the tyre was changed, not much help to you. I would as others have suggested get the valve stems on both wheels replaced with metal valve stem seals (get the wheels balanced as metal stems are heavier than rubber stems) and then forget about it for a very long time!!

Gary
rlaboss

Post by rlaboss »

Update: the dealership picked up the bike this week and after they saw how bad the valve was, they repaired it - for free! Thank you very much!
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Post by aj1500 »

glad to hear the dealer stepped up and made it good
harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

You have an outstanding dealer!! Be thankful!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
rlaboss

Post by rlaboss »

Yeah, especially since it's a Suzuki dealership!