Yamaha Star Venture "Goldwing"?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Yamaha Star Venture "Goldwing"?

Post by someone548 »

I came across this while surfing today.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/trans ... al-touring

Tomorrow, Yamaha is slated to unveil a bike they put into a category of "Transcontinental touring." The last video mentions a variety of Goldwing-like potential features. Heated grips and seats. Reverse. Bluetooth. Should be interesting to see what they've come up with. Worryingly, we still haven't seen anything of a new Goldwing yet. I'd hate to think that Honda might lose out on potential customers due to delay in replacing a model which is now 16 years old.

someone548

Re: Yamaha Star Venture "Goldwing"?

Post by someone548 »

Here is a supposed picture I found.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Looks like Yamaha is going after the Victory market with the latest incarnation of their Venture.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The Goldwing, even with Honda's reluctance to modernize, is still in a class by itself. A 2016 touring survey rated the Goldwing as the top touring model, followed closely by the BMW 1600. A motorcycle magazine did a side by side comparison of the Goldwing and BMW 1600 (comparing apples and oranges) and both have pros and cons.

I agree that Honda has to step up and modernize the Goldwing simply because that is what the masses want. It is not about us older generation, it is getting the younger generation enthused so as to keep the legacy/mystique alive. HD does it and so does BMW.

With the resurgence/prevalence of 1000/1200 size adventure and sport touring bikes, maybe a new 1200 Goldwing without all the plastic to take on the competition. Honda packed a lot into the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i, imagine what can be done now.

There is a lot more potential in the 1800 that can be optimized for the years ahead. Only time will tell.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

the last thing I want is an imitation Harley, heck I don't even want a real Harley. today I saw an 1800 wing with the trunk removed ( not an f6b ) I like it a lot and the seat looks higher than the seat on the f6b too and if I get one and remove the trunk i'll still have reverse
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
'99ST1100, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

MBL Enterprises used to make the kit to remove the trunk on the 01-10 wing prior to the launch of the F6B but has stopped production.

If you have a 2012-2017 wing, you can fit the F6B parts on to a wing to remove the trunk. I think Russellville Honda offered a few they modified that way.

detdrbuzzard wrote:the last thing I want is an imitation Harley, heck I don't even want a real Harley. today I saw an 1800 wing with the trunk removed ( not an f6b ) I like it a lot and the seat looks higher than the seat on the f6b too and if I get one and remove the trunk i'll still have reverse
Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

detdrbuzzard wrote:the last thing I want is an imitation Harley, heck I don't even want a real Harley. today I saw an 1800 wing with the trunk removed ( not an f6b ) I like it a lot and the seat looks higher than the seat on the f6b too and if I get one and remove the trunk i'll still have reverse
Agree; however, it's all about keeping the Goldwing as a viable option to all these newer models coming out. HD is still being considered by many as the cool way to ride. HD is also moving however slowly towards a more reliable touring bike while keeping its design. The new ergonomics of the HD and the amenities are outpacing the Goldwing. Similarly the BMW, Indian and several other manufacturers are addressing these issues quite well. Maybe repatriating the manufacturing back to the US/Canada and have a built in North America slogan would go a long way. I enjoy mentioning to my friends on HDs that my '85 and '08 GW were made in the US, especially the '85.

Go to a motorcycle show and see where the masses are congregating, more people are looking at the HDs, indians, sportsbikes, adventure touring and such, not a huge gathering circling the Goldwings. These are shiny but not a lot of change. The other touring makes/models seem to be innovative and catch the eye of the passerby.

Good platform or not, it would be a shame after all this time to see the GW put out to pasture. The only constant we have is that nothing lasts forever.

Cheers

Ernest
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Seen their video and overall it looks like a HD. A passing glance at the motors top end looks like a Panhead.

Aerodynamics for bikes pretty much dictate the Victory look.

The original Venture V4 came & went and evolved into a sport touring bike with classic HD looks. This latest design is a fair update but not going to sway me away from the "Silky Smooth & Powerful" GL1500.

So now we come full circle with HD looking to build a V4 once again. The REALLY SAD thing is, they're 1/3 century behind...as usual. Could you imagine if HD released that (Porsche designed) Nova Project? That alone would have put a big dent on GoldWing sales AND expand HD's market. YA, I wanted one.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

FM-USA wrote:
Could you imagine if HD released that (Porsche designed) Nova Project? I wanted one.
What was that? I guess I missed it.
Got Pictures or link?
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

newday777 wrote:
FM-USA wrote:
Could you imagine if HD released that (Porsche designed) Nova Project? I wanted one.
What was that? I guess I missed it.
Got Pictures or link?
Here's a new Page I've not seen. Looks like it's comprehensive.
ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/19/harley-davidsons-project-nova-look-might

I didn't save the URL for this photo, it's supposed to be HD's next attempt at a V-4.
Unknown why the cam chains are at opposite ends. Torque balance?

But we know HD has been around a VERY VERY long time,...

:twisted:
someone548

Post by someone548 »

Dual alternators, front and rear heated seats and heated driver and passenger back rest, heated passenger grips, adjustable rear back rest, forward and reverse park assist, side wind wings, dual zone audio and volume, 6.6 gallon gas tank

Pretty nice features it sounds like.
someone548

Post by someone548 »

I kinda like it.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Another v-twin...no thanks.
newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

https://m.facebook.com/home.php

I went to school and worked with Bob Starr(Yamaha Media) He just posted this
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway »

I like the looks if it and being Yamaha I bet it's quality. I like the seating position
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

First review I've seen of it:

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/06/05/201 ... ok-review/

Lots of technology, but *yawn* yet another air-cooled V-twin. This article talks about the "great rumble" and feeling the "power pulses."

No thanks, that's really not what I want for a long-distance tourer. I don't want to be deaf with ringing ears at the end of my 800-mile day from the "great rumble" with nerve damage and tingling fingers from the "power pulses."

I like the features, for the most part, but the styling just looks to me like a watered-down Victory. It hasn't really ignited a spark in me.

For 2018 Yamaha will jump back into the luxury-touring arena with the new fully featured Star Venture, a mix of modern and traditional styles with the 1,854cc air-cooled Roadliner V-twin redesigned with six speeds, dual counterbalancers and 122 lb-ft of torque.
For 2018 Yamaha will jump back into the luxury-touring arena with the new fully featured Star Venture, a mix of modern and traditional styles with the 1,854cc air-cooled Roadliner V-twin redesigned with six speeds, dual counterbalancers and 122 lb-ft of torque.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture will be available in two colors. This one is Granite Gray.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture will be available in two colors. This one is Granite Gray.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC (Trans-Continental package) lets ’em know you’re coming with a bank of four bright headlights, running lights/turn signals in the mirrors and a pair of fog lights, all of which are LED and barely make a dent in the 750-watt twin alternator output.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC (Trans-Continental package) lets ’em know you’re coming with a bank of four bright headlights, running lights/turn signals in the mirrors and a pair of fog lights, all of which are LED and barely make a dent in the 750-watt twin alternator output.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s electrically adjustable windscreen offers one-touch full up or down and incremental settings. Traditional analog instruments (with large numbers, hooray!) are nicely blended with the contemporary full-color, 7-inch LCD touchscreen.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s electrically adjustable windscreen offers one-touch full up or down and incremental settings. Traditional analog instruments (with large numbers, hooray!) are nicely blended with the contemporary full-color, 7-inch LCD touchscreen.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s top-loading luggage has more than 140 liters of capacity and central locking. Extensive exhaust note tuning resulted in mufflers that are slightly different internally to create a pleasing rumble.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s top-loading luggage has more than 140 liters of capacity and central locking. Extensive exhaust note tuning resulted in mufflers that are slightly different internally to create a pleasing rumble.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s redesigned, Roadliner-based 48-degree V-twin has new cylinders and heads, and new damper systems built into the primary and cam drives to prevent chatter at low rpm.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture’s redesigned, Roadliner-based 48-degree V-twin has new cylinders and heads, and new damper systems built into the primary and cam drives to prevent chatter at low rpm.

The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture will be available in two colors. This one is Raspberry Metallic.
The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture will be available in two colors. This one is Raspberry Metallic.

The 2018 Star Venture blends modern styling with the classic look and feel of an air-cooled V-twin. Fully equipped, it offers just about every conceivable touring amenity you could ask for.
The 2018 Star Venture blends modern styling with the classic look and feel of an air-cooled V-twin. Fully equipped, it offers just about every conceivable touring amenity you could ask for.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 HPNA (Grey Ghost)
1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 »

The styling is ok, but I wouldn't ride a V-Twin across the parking lot. If i feel the need to be beat to a frazzle, I'll just take a ride on any of a hundred Michigan roads.
Al
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

minimac wrote:Another v-twin...no thanks.
It looks nice, but as you say a V Twin, bleedin ell.
Last edited by Big Blue UK on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

minimac wrote:Another v-twin...no thanks.

It looks nice, but as you say a V Twin, bleedin ell, and by the looks of the ride height and handlebar position, it looks as though it was designed for 11 year olds
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
billbob
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

Post by billbob »

Nice looking bike,looks like a Victory and Voyager mix to me.I will stay with my gl1800.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Wouldn't it be nice if you could order this bike in either the air cooled V-Twin or the water cooled V-4.
If it were, would this be a first by any motorcycle mfg?
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I like the four headlights. I believe that most bikes have piss poor lighting for night riding.
But I can't even imagine riding that thing on 95 degree summer day. The heat coming off that
huge air cooled engine would roast me alive in no time.
I'll stick to my Goldwing. It ducts the heat around me, not on me.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

offcenter wrote:I like the four headlights. I believe that most bikes have piss poor lighting for night riding.
But I can't even imagine riding that thing on 95 degree summer day. The heat coming off that
huge air cooled engine would roast me alive in no time.
I'll stick to my Goldwing. It ducts the heat around me, not on me.
Maybe the heat is the reason Yamaha expects it to be available in September and not June!?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

One of the interesting aspects of this bike is that it is a fresh look for Yamaha and its a touring bike. It has the amenities that a lot of people may like especially those in the HD crowd that would like to switch to a similar bike that does not require the attention an HD requires.

The dash is comprehensive and gives the rider a lot of options. The adjustable windscreen, I would expect integral GPS.

The lack of a water cooled engine in today's riding environment and with a big twin is not a forward thinking move. Even HD is going in that direction.

Other than the lines do hearken to the Victory - probably a good move considering there are a lot of people out there that like the Victory, and it is being retired.

It's a fresh look and entry into a growing market. Honda may want to take a good look.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers

Ernest
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

WAY back sometime in the late 90's I mentioned in a HD forum that HD should have different models for different customers. YUP, I was instantly bombarded with HD's alphabet soup of models.

My point was customers have only one choice, a V-Twin air cooled motor. Then the 'Evolution' and 'V Rod' posts showed. I reinnerated, it's still the same motor, V Twin, air cooled, blah-blah-blah. This is where the Asian market has such a stronghold, many models in various sizes and configurations for a wider age group. SO NOW, HD is working on a water cooled V4...AGAIN...3+ decades later.

So why ALL this in this Yamaha Star Venture thread? It's a V-Twin, air cooled blah-blah... BUT, it does look sharp.
To those who don't want an air cooled V-Twin motor, would you be more inclined to buy it if it had their V-4 water cooled motor?