Take Off Your Helmet??

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Take Off Your Helmet??

Post by Solina Dave »

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago titled, "Who Never Wears A Helmet?" I think that I stated the subject wrong. What I'm mainly interested in, is this.
If you live in a state that has a mandatory helmet law, would you remove your helmet when riding through a state with no helmet law? And why would you do that? Would you feel comfortable, and righteous, riding with no helmet in that case? I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm just looking for a little bit of soul searching, an honest response, and a lot of input.

Sorry for the confusion. Have patience with me :? .................................Dave :lol:

"Assume Nothing"
jtmcnees
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate.

Re: Take Off Your Helmet??

Post by jtmcnees »

I would not remove my helmet for any reason. i like my skin to much.
coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 »

I live in a helmet "optional" state (Arizona) and always wear my helmet. I have had too many experiences only one of which was a crash that made me glad I had my helmet on. I also lived in Missouri for 15 years, Missouri has a mandatory helmet law, so naturally helmet was worn. AZ had a helmet law decades ago, but it was so poorly written that "guys" were wearing their helmets "on their knees" and the "boys in blue" couldn't do anything about it...The law was later repealed by popular vote... But even when it's over 100 degrees here, the helmet still goes on...

Sam
Sam
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

Regardless of the law, I still wear my helmet. I've already had heart surgery, I don't need it on the brain pan. I'm stupid enough as it is. ;)
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

Florida does not mandate helmets and it's hot here, but I wear a full face helmet all the time.

It only takes once to meet the pavement.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Sure I take off my helmet.....when I'm PARKED!!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
goldwings 4 ever
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Airbag

Post by goldwings 4 ever »

offcenter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm Sure I take off my helmet.....when I'm PARKED!!!
I watched a guy today park his bike and go into the liquor store and come out with his purchase and he never took his helmet or armoured jacket off. Not really sure what he was concerned about in there. It's not like they will let you drink it there and fall down. Maybe just incredibly lazy?
topgun
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by topgun »

goldwings 4 ever wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 pm
I watched a guy today park his bike and go into the liquor store and come out with his purchase and he never took his helmet or armoured jacket off.
lucky the police didn't greet him on the way out. I'd think store owner would be nervous seeing him come in.
goldwings 4 ever
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Airbag

Post by goldwings 4 ever »

topgun wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 pm
I watched a guy today park his bike and go into the liquor store and come out with his purchase and he never took his helmet or armoured jacket off.
lucky the police didn't greet him on the way out. I'd think store owner would be nervous seeing him come in.
First of all, our police have a hard time catching a cold, however, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to buy alcohol with a helmet on. He did have his face shield up and his face was clearly visible. I could see them being nervous if he went in with the shield down.
jtmcnees
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate.

Post by jtmcnees »

offcenter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm Sure I take off my helmet.....when I'm PARKED!!!
I watched a guy today park his bike and go into the liquor store and come out with his purchase and he never took his helmet or armoured jacket off. Not really sure what he was concerned about in there. It's not like they will let you drink it there and fall down. Maybe just incredibly lazy?
I don't take mine of if I'm only running in for a minute
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I live in NY, which has had a helmet law for close to fifty years. Immediately after passage of the law, my friends and I would cross the border into Canada(from Buffalo) so we could ride without our helmets. PA is currently a"not mandatory" state close by. As often as I ride there, I've never bothered to stop and take off my helmet. A few years back, while vacationing in Florida, I rented a Harley for two days, and tried to ride helmet-less. It was so bloody hot, between the temperature and the heat pouring off of the bike, I took the bike back the first day. Haven't rode helmet-less since. I'm used to the lack of windnoise.
Last edited by minimac on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Post by aj1500 »

growing up racing dirt bikes I learned first hand the importance of a helmet
I wear my helmet regardless of the laws, I have been known to raise my modular from time to time ;)
even thought I would never have been riding this bike to begin with this is the other compelling reason I wear a helmet and at least
a good jacket and gloves, notice the face plant
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... %2F2uvVWLA
suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 »

I would like to thank those who do not wear a helmet.
I'm getting older, and one day I might need an organ transplant. Just remember to carry that donor card whenever you ride.
Don't drive intoxicated.
Don't drive intexticated.
Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Post by Harp »

I just came home from a couple of weeks in Norway. 24 hrs of daylight this time of year. I noticed that all riders, except small scooters, wore helmets, boots, gloves, protective pants and armored jackets. At a rest stop I talked to one of the bikers. His English wasn't great, but much better than my Norwegian. Since everyone was in full gear, I was trying to find if it was required or everyone just wore heavy gear to look cool or keep warm. He never completely answered the mandatory question other than helmets, which are required.
He did discuss how people generally felt about helmets and the view in the USA, by some, that they should not be required by law. He and his buddies found it incredulous that any member of society would risk injury, as motorcycles are label the most dangerous form of travel in the EU, since that injury, particularly to the head, would place an increased cost on the community, not only monetarily, but time from your family and community members to assist with your recovery, and/or the burden placed upon society by your irresponsible actions if you are placed in a vegetative state due to a head injury that may have been avoided.
I found it very interesting that people looked upon the issue not as a freedom that you are allowed to injure ones self, but as a responsibility to maintain your health and minimize risk for the sake of the community.
Not many Gold Wings spotted on the road. In the country, many BMWs, Motto Guzzi, Yamaha and few Harleys. In the city, many more Harleys, but show bikes , not touring and mainly BMWs.
billbob
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

Post by billbob »

Always have my helmet on when riding.
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

I always wear it. I like my face the way it is, plus, glasses are expensive, face shields aren't, $25-ish a year is better than $400
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

If you live in a state that has a mandatory helmet law, would you remove your helmet when riding through a state with no helmet law?
Of course, "IF" I wish.

And why would you do that?
Freedom of choice.

My experiences, 3 road accidents not wearing my helmet and several off-road on my 'Triumph 500'. Never a head injury, not even a bump.
One might say, "I kept my head through the whole ordeal".

SOME (Control?) REASON, some peeps have to post the negatives of others not wearing a helmet even though you didn't ask for that.
It's perplexing why a few have to tread on our "Freedom of Choice".
Some use the medical costs excuse/reason, not thinking of your loved ones and that 'organ donor' tactic. No matter what, way or why, I believe they're internally harboring HATE towards those who have the freedom of choice. Now "IF" you claim there isn't any hate, why post "IT"?

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

FM-USA wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:58 am...My experiences, 3 road accidents not wearing my helmet and several off-road on my 'Triumph 500'. Never a head injury, not even a bump.
One might say, "I kept my head through the whole ordeal".
SOME (Control?) REASON, some peeps have to post the negatives of others not wearing a helmet even though you didn't ask for that.
It's perplexing why a few have to tread on our "Freedom of Choice".
Some use the medical costs excuse/reason, not thinking of your loved ones and that 'organ donor' tactic.
One of these days you luck is going to run out. I hope you have signed something releasing the rest of us from having to pay for your life support if you don't manage to kill yourself.
FM-USA wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:58 am.. No matter what, way or why, I believe they're internally harboring HATE towards those who have the freedom of choice. Now "IF" you claim there isn't any hate, why post "IT"?
I don't harbor hatred towards anyone that validates the need for mandatory safety laws. But is is a pity that they have to claim that their rights are being violated when somebody points out that what they are doing is blatantly stupid and that the end result can have a wider range of effects than simply violating a freedom of choice.
Here are a few more laws that were enacted because some "haters" objected to another's "Freedom of Choice"

Mandatory seat belt law
No cell phone/texting while driving
No driving under the influence...

So go ahead and gleefully ride helmetless to your hearts content. I, for one, have no intentions of trying to prevent you or any one else from doing so.
I hope this clears up any perplexing issues for you.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Fiberthree wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 pm I don't harbor hatred towards anyone that validates the need for mandatory safety laws. But is is a pity that they have to claim that their rights are being violated when somebody points out that what they are doing is blatantly stupid and that the end result can have a wider range of effects than simply violating a freedom of choice.
Here are a few more laws that were enacted because some "haters" objected to another's "Freedom of Choice"

Mandatory seat belt law
No cell phone/texting while driving
No driving under the influence...

(1)So go ahead and gleefully ride helmetless to your hearts content. (2)I, for one, have no intentions of trying to prevent you or any one else from doing so.
I hope this clears up any perplexing issues for you.
Nothing perplexing at all but I do wonder why on one hand you're saying you harbor no hatred towards those who support MANDATORY safety laws, the other hand says you have no intentions of trying to prevent you or any one else from doing so. Not sure why you're contradicting yourself (1)+(2) unless you're covering both ends of the candle from your being lit.

As for your 3 safety laws.
#2 & 3 no problem from me for I also support those laws wholeheartedly, those points are MOOT for directly limiting safe driving abilities which has a high percentage of potential to harm others, but seat-belts do not. UNLESS said person has a HIGH intolerance to claustrophobia and easily panics.
When it comes to mandatory seat-belts, that is a two-fold safety issue where it saves lives and has killed people via being cut nearly in half. I also have read countless accident articles where drivers could not exit there vehicle because they could not get out of their seat-belts. Some accident accounts state that bystanders & rescuers can see the victim screaming for help and POUNDING on the glass and/or FRANTICALLY working at their belts to no avail so they drown, burn to death or etc.. I'm not interested in debating either of those car/truck death scenarios because of it's obvious volatility. It's the same volatility over Pros/Cons in wearing helmets, that IS why many threads on this issue gets deleted for I've seen this happen on several different motorcycle forums. In all basics, people DO NOT like being told what to do even if it is for their own good. Thank goodness for America's "Freedom of Choice", we are NOT a dictatorship country.
Now, when you bring up the "out of your pocket" cost factor of someone else's accident, in a round about way you are "verbally using slight" in abridging someone choice, (see you're #2 above). In my sidebar you read, "ANTAGONISTS need not post.". It is there for very good reason, I get a few who use "verbal slight" to entice heated arguments.
The point of stating wearing helmets save lives is a good one but ON THAT OTHER HAND they also have killed the rider by snapped their necks.

I hope my feedback isn't (as you put it)... :? "blatantly stupid".

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel »

I have to wear my helmet even though I am not required by law. I just wish they would make street helmets as well as the ones I wear for off road racing. I.e, rotational dampers, m.i.p.s, 6d etc.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

FM-USA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm
Nothing perplexing at all but I do wonder why on one hand you're saying you harbor no hatred towards those who support MANDATORY safety laws, the other hand says you have no intentions of trying to prevent you or any one else from doing so. Not sure why you're contradicting yourself (1)+(2) unless you're covering both ends of the candle from your being lit.
Alas you have missed the point. How is it being contradictory in stating that I harbor no hatred of those that validate the helmet laws (meaning those that can't figure out why it is a good idea to wear them) and also stating that is not my job to enforce those same laws?

FM-USA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pmNow, when you bring up the "out of your pocket" cost factor of someone else's accident, in a round about way you are "verbally using slight" in abridging someone choice, (see you're #2 above). In my sidebar you read, "ANTAGONISTS need not post.". It is there for very good reason, I get a few who use "verbal slight" to entice heated arguments.
If you want to consider me slighting someone for refusing to protect themselves when knowingly entering a situation that is potentially dangerous, that is your prerogative. You do know that insurance companies pass on the cost of the claims to all the policy holders? That is the basis of my "out of pocket" comment.
FM-USA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pmThe point of stating wearing helmets save lives is a good one but ON THAT OTHER HAND they also have killed the rider by snapped their necks.
Not using a handrail/running down stairs...
Diving into a shallow pool...
Crossing a busy street...
Riding a skateboard down a steep hill...

The list is endless. Sure, people have done it without mishaps and some haven't. But how many of those killed while wearing their helmet, would have survived without it? We just don't know for sure.
FM-USA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pmI hope my feedback isn't (as you put it)... :? "blatantly stupid".
And no, I don't think you or your feedback are "blatantly stupid" as long as you don't think I'm harboring hate for those that exercise their freedom of choice.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

I must be one in a Googolplexian since I can stay mentally alert during an accident, so there's no need to HOPE I don't get killed while riding my Wing.

As for your list of mishaps,..
Not using a handrail/running down stairs..Diving..Crossing streets..etc., etc., ETC., etc., etc..
Let's just jump to the end of that loooOOoong list. Stop drinking the water since it has natural & man-made cancer chemicals, stop breathing the air since it isn't pure.

Oddly there are those who use pear and mental pressure tactics like... insurance costs, religious harking, everyone else wears them so should you, we're GoldWing riders and have this SAFETY IMAGE to uphold, blah-yada.

Helmets use, or not, is a personal choice, it is a "Freedom of Choice", period.

With this, I'm done with this thread. The volatility is growing and I wish no part of it.
Milkman_d83
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 Interstate
1979 cb750k (sold)

Post by Milkman_d83 »

I'm from Kentucky. No helmet required if u got a lisence. I got a voyager kit on my gl1100. Sometimes I jump on run down to my parents without a helmet. Bout 2 miles. Don't get above 35 though. If I plan on putting any miles on I put the head saver on. Just feel better about it. Had a 79 cb750k before this bike. On 2 wheels helmet went on every time and I wanted a full face to boot. It's what ever ur preference is I guess. Only thing that stumps me is why Ky has no helmet law but seat belts r required!! :roll:
suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 »

Milkman_d83 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm I'm from Kentucky. No helmet required if u got a lisence. I got a voyager kit on my gl1100. Sometimes I jump on run down to my parents without a helmet. Bout 2 miles. Don't get above 35 though. If I plan on putting any miles on I put the head saver on. Just feel better about it. Had a 79 cb750k before this bike. On 2 wheels helmet went on every time and I wanted a full face to boot. It's what ever ur preference is I guess. Only thing that stumps me is why Ky has no helmet law but seat belts r required!! :roll:
You're from Kentucky? No, really?!?!?!
The seat belt law is a FEDERAL law. Supersedes (look it up) state law. (Actually, states can opt out, but they lose Federal highway money.)
Don't drive intoxicated.
Don't drive intexticated.
Milkman_d83
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 Interstate
1979 cb750k (sold)

Post by Milkman_d83 »

Yep Ky born and raised!!! There is a bunch of requirements u have to have to not have to wear a helmet here. Over 21, Mc licsence over a year. Under 21 passenger or operator it's required. Also if u have just a mc permit helmet is required. The no helmet law was passed in 1998.
When I talk about the seat belt law. It wasn't enforced here until 2006. Even if it is federal I don't see how it mandatory for a car to wear a belt and it's not for a helmet on a motorcycle. Seems like they should be thought of the same.