WHAT ARE THE CHANCES "FULL MOON I GUESS"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
TWOWHEELCOWBOY
Motorcycle: 2018 Tour, DCT Air bag

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES "FULL MOON I GUESS"

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi all, went for a little 100 mile ride today. When I was close to home stoped at a red light, smelled something sweet? Then turning onto my street I hear this scraping noise?
See pics a rusted out piece of junk screw driver bounced up and went right through the radiator reserve tank. Wow still can't believe it
Oh yea the sweet smell, anti freeze on exhaust

I thank Jesus for everyday I can still throw a leg over and ride :)
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: WHAT ARE THE CHANCES "FULL MOON I GUESS"

Post by cbx4evr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:23 pm

And that's exactly the reason many 1800 owners install a belly pan.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 am

Good call didn't even think of that, I'll look 👀 into to it
Thanks for the info
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 am

Murphy's law strikes again. Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Free screwdriver!

just kidding, glad you noticed it quickly.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:18 am

I had something similar happen to me quite a few years back on a different bike. After thoroughly flushing, I ran a short screw into the hole and then covered it with -I forget if it was JB Weld or plumbers epoxy- but it held for at least six more years that I owned the bike. It might still be there, for all I know.

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for all of the help. I have the new tank in hand and also attaching 3/16 aluminum to bottom of tank
Going to feel great to be back on the road, I never knew how bad it felt not to have the wing ready to jump on

TWO WHEEL COWBOY

ptilford
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by ptilford » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 am

I now use a metal belly pan for added protection for my oil filter! During a long ride and being out of state I damaged the filter but I was unaware of the severity until I changed oil.
The road debris was on a highway where road construction was being done on an adjacent portion of the highway but not where I was riding, it didn't matter. One of the material trucks had dropped a chunk of blacktop onto my riding lane but it was the same color as the road. I did not see it until my front tire was a foot or two from impact. It made a heck of a noise and my 1800 became a little unstable but I pulled over to check for damage. I could see some cosmetic scratches here and there but nothing severe. I looked for any leaks as I left the bike running but none appeared.
I continued my trek and later found severe damage to my oil filter and I thanked my stars for there not being a complete puncture of the filter; that would have left me stranded for sure. Being home I immediately ordered a metal pan which is two pieces and ventilated. The install is simple and I don't mind taking it off for oil changes. It gives me peace of mind. Good Luck!

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Good evening fellow Wingers. Here's my cure to the unwanted SCREW DRIVER. It's kind of crude, but it will work. After reading about the kind gentle man who added his problem with debris hitting his oil filter. I am going to be looking into the belly pan. I'm just concerned about not enough air getting to the bottom of the engine cases 🤔

TWO WHEEL COWBOY

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Any suggestions on which BELLY PAN.
Thanks Joe
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

robinsonb
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by robinsonb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 pm

I have a belly pan installed on my GL1800 and I had a bolt go through the pan that punched a hole in the engine cover. I was heading to the turnpike about 80 miles from home. I took off from the light, went about 40 yards when I heard a clang and some rattling. I didn't like the sound of that, so I pulled into a Wendy's parking lot about a quarter mile before the turnpike entrance to check it out. I saw oil dripping below the bike, and a 4 inch bolt going through the belly pan. I called AAA and had the bike towed home. The dealer took the engine cover off and took it to a guy that works on race cars. He was able to patch a hole about 1/2 inch in diameter. They gave me the bolt and chunk of metal they took out of the engine in a bag when I picked up my bike. That was 4 years ago. I haven't had any problems with the bike since then.

ptilford
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by ptilford » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:40 am

Amazing, now bolts! It seems there may not be any perfect solution but I have not experienced any issues due to a lack of airflow and I have several thousand miles since my road debris/oil filter incident.
I bought my cover from "Wingstuff." If you look at their website and search, "belly pan," you will find choices. Mine appears similar to the rider with the bolt damage! Good Luck.

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Wow, I would of never believed so many riders would experience this problem. A Bolt through the belly pan and the engine cases. It's hard to believe. I've looked at Performance Pans, they seem to have good reviews and I like how you can remove a front section to change oil without removing the whole pan. Anyone have experience with this pan?
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

bad2thebone55
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by bad2thebone55 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:57 am

TWOWHEELCOWBOY wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm
Any suggestions on which BELLY PAN.
Thanks Joe
I have a belly pan installed and never had any issues with over heating. I have the aluminum ventilated and the peace of mind knowing I have some line of protection for the oil filter and coolant tank. Most I have seen on the market should work from what I have seen and heard.
Ride Safe! :mrgreen:
"You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

Metal Mangler
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing
2012 Goldwing (totaled got rear ended)
1988 Goldwing (Sold)
1980 Goldwing (Sold)

Post by Metal Mangler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 am

I had a similar situation. Was on a short ride when I heard something. I looked back a saw smoke I was thinking wow someone is having a bad day. Well I was when I realized it was me. I pulled over and looked wow something had hit the oil filter. I called the wife to get my neighbor to help her hook up the trailer but don't let him come. But to my surprise he was driving. Said he had never helped tow a Goldwing before so he wasn't missing his chance. He is a long time Harley rider. Great neighbor I might add. So the next day I went back i found a wrench that matched the dents in the filter. Got a belly pan after that.
The mark to the left of filter I made seeing how thick the filter was. I all ways travel with a filter now.

Attachments

Marvin (Shep) Shepard
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 am

Wow, amazing that it punctured the oil filter. Sorry for your miss fortune, I know your neighbor was eating that up with a fork and spoon seeing the wing go onto a trailer 😫 No doubt I have to go with a belly pan, the big problem is finding a quality one it seems the thicker more robust ones don't have venting louvres, I've read several stories of overheating problems. The ones that do you have venting and have the removalable front section to service the oil Change, are very cheaply made read all the horor stories about the front section falling off in the middle of the trip, about them not fitting properly and after making alteration to make them fit Voiding the warrantee and no return. It's kind of a nightmare finding a good quality One that actually fits, has vented and works properly. I may have to go to a sheet metal shop and have my own made.
Thanks for sharing your story, glad you didn't go down with oil on back tire🙈
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

Metal Mangler
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing
2012 Goldwing (totaled got rear ended)
1988 Goldwing (Sold)
1980 Goldwing (Sold)

Post by Metal Mangler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:37 am

You are so right. I saw a diagram of the dimensions for fabricating one didn't think much about it at the time. I can not locate it now. I am a aircraft mechanic and have access to metal and forming machines. Not sure why I did not grab it when I saw it. I am sure it was pre-oil filter disaster.

Marvin (Shep) Shepard