No help,Honda Dealers St Louis MO area

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

No help,Honda Dealers St Louis MO area

Post by 823JIM »

If you are out there touring America don't have a break down in the St Louis Mo. area. My brother and I where headed for Colorado/Sturgis and while in St Louis his Goldwing stopped running (alternator we think). Got on internet on cell phone and started calling Honda dealerships for assistance. None of the area dealerships 6 in all would do absolutely nothing to help us. I rode back to Michigan, got a truck and trailer and went back to rescue the bike.

The dealerships said they were booked full and could look at a stranded bike in 4 to 6 weeks. That they would not slip a strand bike in ahead of bikes already booked for service. One dealer said they would not work on it at all because it is a trike, their shop policy is no maintance/service work on anything that has been triked.

I bought a GL1800 Goldwing because I was told my last bike (Kawasaki XII Voyager) would be hard to find parts for or get service for if broke down. This is very apparently true of a Goldwing as well. It does not appear that it matters what you are riding there is no assistance for a stranded biker. Might as well be touring on a Zundap.

I have been told Harley Davidson dealers are not like this, that they take pride in their product and won't leave anyone riding one stranded. Never been a HD fan or V-Twin for that matter, but I am now thinking my next bike may be something/anything other than a Honda.

Sorry this is getting to be a little long and rambling thread but in case no one has noticed I am very p--sed off about this.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)

Jim King
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: No help,Honda Dealers St Louis MO area

Post by Viking »

Well, that seems to be the norm with ALL dealers of any type, except perhaps top line cars like Ferrari. I had a lunched drive chain on a Harley, one time in Grand Junction Colorado, after coming down off the Million Dollar Hwy. The dealer in Grand Junction could not help, because according to him, there was a ride coming through and he had to have the whole dealership available in case the ride needed tires or anything else. A kind mechanic from his shop lent me tools, and I did the job myself in a corner of the parking lot, so do not think Harley is any better than the rest. I have also had good service at Harley dealers, but then again, I have had great service at Honda dealers as well as disappointing service. I think it is more the state of the world. The service industry has gone downhill a lot in the past ten years or a bit better, since the advent of the digital age.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 HPNA (Grey Ghost)
1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 »

I purchased a 2006 GL1800 last year and while reading the forum I found out there was a recall on the rear brakes. It seems they would, on occasion lock up. I went to a local dealer to find out if mine had been done. After checking the vehicle # in the computer it was determined that the recall had not been done. They ordered the repair kit, so they said, and said they would let me know when to bring it in for the work. That was in April of this year and I'm still waiting. Seems like an awfully long time to me. Oh, BTW, I did have the rears lock up once, luckily tapping the brake lever repeatedly freed it.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al
823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM »

Upon getting the bike back home called Central Motorsports in Mount Pleasant MI and told them of our problem. They told use to have it there Monday morning when they opened. We took it there, they diagnosed the problem (alternator as thought) had part overnighted and have bike repaired. We picked it up this afternoon and are heading back out for Sturgis in the morning.

This dealer did it's very best to get us back on the road, unlike the dealers in St Louis area.

If every in the mid Michigan area and are in need of a dealer to help you out give these guys a call:
http://www.centralmotorsports.com/
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)

Jim King
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

823JIM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm
....I have been told Harley Davidson dealers are not like this, that they take pride in their product and won't leave anyone riding one stranded. Never been a HD fan or V-Twin for that matter, but I am now thinking my next bike may be something/anything other than a Honda....
I experienced a similar situation (mine was a loose cable connection) while at a Nashville area rally. I took my battery to the closest shop, which was a Harley dealer (walked 2 miles each way) to get it charged, to be told it wasn't a H-D battery and they couldn't/wouldn't charge it. When I asked how would they charge a new battery if I bought one, I got the deer in the headlights look and he suddenly got "busy". Walked over to the Loves truck stop(another mile or so) and the guy working the tire shop put it on their charger for an hour and I was good to go. Not only didn't they charge me, they wouldn't accept any $$, even as a tip!
A letter to the dealership and H-D about what happened, was totally ignored-and not even acknowledged.