"Could not have done it without you"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

"Could not have done it without you"

Post by Mag »

I just have to say I love this site. We had a local bike shop close down (local meaning it was 20 mile away and is our closest) so all the How-To articles here are now my Go-To regarding fixing the bike. I am currently between jobs right now so I am relegated to doing odd jobs around the house until the interviews come in. Well, the Goldwing is my project. Over the last couple weeks, I have done the following:
- Repainted all the dark brown plastic - it is now "Kona Brown" (as dark as I could get it).
- Oil change (had to do it twice, I forgot to change out the filter itself because I was so excited that I was able to drain out the oil in the first place)
- Spark plug change (if you have the lowers off, easiest damn thing to do)
- Refill radiator fluid (running cooler than it ever has)
- New J&M upgrade speakers in the front
- New (to me) fader console on the bike (not the knob install, I decided to locate the actual replacement plastic and housing that the 89 GW has, put it on my 88).
- New Chrome Windshield accent (the big shiny one)
- Heavy wipe down of old grime on the bike (it really needed it).
- New speedo cable replacement (I actually broke the old one finally)
- Found that the "whirring sound" that I had intermittent coming from the front tire was the metal plate that holds the two front fender pieces together. 3 of the 4 screws were loose, not even connecting to the plate, so it was rubbing on the tire.
- New SuperBrace install on front forks.

You should have seen all the pieces of plastic and screws all over my garage floor, but with the help of all the instructions here and some of the problems you all came across (and a bit of swearing words loudly from the garage), I was able to do all this myself. So......thx to Admin, GoldwingDocs site, all you "tinkerers" out there working on your own bikes.....this accountant was able to get it all done. I already have a list working for this winter which means some of the pieces will come off again....but that is what it is all about.

Now......ride on (already put 500 mile on the last couple of days just riding around my backroads here and doing little errands. So glad my bike is back running again......oh, and now I get 42 to the gallon instead of 36.....amazing what happens with "preventative" repair, lol.

Mag

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: "Could not have done it without you"

Post by thrasherg »

Well done, the first time you tackle a wing it's a real leap of faith, but now that you have taken the plunge, all future endeavors should be far less daunting!! Hope you have many trouble free miles.

Gary
Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: "Could not have done it without you"

Post by Mag »

I get scared first time just because I am not a tech or had any training. And go figure, took another 153 miler today just around the back roads, took 4 hours, and avg 46 mpg ...... NICE!!!!