2017 Total Eclipse, who's traveling?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

2017 Total Eclipse, who's traveling?

Post by FM-USA »

Monday late morning the Total Eclipse will be crossing the CST zone, anyone traveling to the 100% blackout area?

**IF** I go, I'll be on the road around 3:30 AM., I'm at the northern border of ILLinois.
For me it's 6:00 hrs, all expressway. Planning on 1 hour of 2-3 stops for fuel and stretch.

My route, 41 S.__I-94 E.__I-57 S.__Carbondale area.
Hitting Chicago around 4:15 AM is a great time to breeze through, nearly NO RUSH HOUR traffic. :D

My round trip will be about 750 - 800 miles, a near "Iron Butt" Ride. :mrgreen:

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 2017 Total Eclipse, who's traveling?

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I'm in western Indiana and I'm heading to Hopkinsville, KY. I'm old and have never seen a total and I intend to see it this time. FM, just get on 57 and head to Carbondale and you should be OK. What I really want is to have sex on the roof of my car during the duration but not sure what to do with the other minute and a half of the total darkness. :mrgreen:
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar »

Did you see it?
There were lots of pictures on our news programmes, I looked hard but I didn't see you. :D

Sid
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

The wife and I went to little Princeton, Ky and sat in a local park with a bunch of other people. It was awesome. Got one decent shot of the eclipse.

There is work being done on the US41 Ohio River bridge south of Evansville and we had about an 1 1/2 hour wait there going down. So, brilliant me, decided to go up towards home on IL Rt1 and it was a cluster. There would be half hour, or more, wait for every little town that had a stop sign or light.

Finally made it, but completely worth the long day.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Sidcar wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 am Did you see it?
There were lots of pictures on our news programmes, I looked hard but I didn't see you. :D
Sid
You'ld need something like the Hubble Telescope to see me. I missed getting there.
I got just short of Chicago and bike started acting up so I turned around. Another vac line must have a hole, acting exactly the same as before. SO got several feet and will be doing that soon.

Wing has 200,000+ miles and very few problems so I can't complain. As I've read, it seems around the 200K mark is the time for vac lines to be scrutinized.
AHHhhhh :roll: maintenance.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Hoosier Jack wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 pm I'm in western Indiana and I'm heading to Hopkinsville, KY. I'm old and have never seen a total and I intend to see it this time. FM, just get on 57 and head to Carbondale and you should be OK. What I really want is to have sex on the roof of my car during the duration but not sure what to do with the other minute and a half of the total darkness. :mrgreen:
I checked with USGS and there wasn't any seismograph readings in your area, guess you JUST watched. 8-)
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

We traveled - away from it. We live just on the edge of the totality band and everyone was predicting a traffic nightmare, so we took this as a good opportunity to go where everyone else wasn't. We left Boise Friday morning and headed West on Hwy 26 to John Day, OR (saw lots of fields set up to rent out camping spots at $400+/night), then North on Hwy 395 and Hwy 11 to Walla Walla. Stopped there for the night, then continued North to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Spent a couple nights there with some fantastic riding around the lakes up there, then started going South again on Monday. Figured the traffic would still be bad with everybody trying to leave the totality area, so we stopped in Kamiah, ID for the night. Tuesday morning we rode over to Grangeville, then South on Hwy 95 to home.

Overall the plan worked well. We saw very little traffic (other than at a few construction sites on the final leg home) and we got to ride on some fantastic twisty roads. From what I saw on the news even though we didn't have the extreme masses of people that they were predicting there were still plenty of traffic problems in the area. I've seen total eclipses before, so I'm glad that I had the opportunity be on the bike instead.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I didn't travel, except to work.

I did however bring a pair of binoculars to work, and a welding mask. I passed the welding mask around for people to look through, and I used the binoculars to project the sun's image onto a piece of paper:

Eclipse through binoculars
Eclipse through binoculars