bike storage (mice)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

bike storage (mice)

Post by hap2 »

I’m soon gonna have to put the bike (1500) away for the winter. I have acquired a small quonset to put it in. It has a concrete foundation & an overhead door. It is unheated & near a field. People say there’s lots of mice around there, but in the 6 months I’ve had it, I’ve only seen one. I have no food or clothing in this quonset. It has a concrete floor.

My main question is what do I do to & around the bike while it’s in the shed to protect it from any mice? Moth balls & bounce sheets in the exhaust pipes & physically places around the bike in a circle? What else? Any ideas?

Thanks alot

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Re: bike storage (mice)

Post by FM-USA »

If it were me, I'd set up several items.
#1 Few mouse traps nearest the bike with 'peanut butter UNDER the trigger'.
____(Point being, give real food, not wires)
#2 Moth balls around the bike.
#3 Camphor on the bike.
____(Repels Bed Bugs and moths. Coats to prevent rust, EZ wear away in use)
#4 Intake and both exhaust. CHEAP stainless/copper kitchen scrubs. DOLLAR STORE 4 for $1.00 USD
____(I use these as baffles in the tail pipe)
Last edited by FM-USA on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Those are meaningful suggestions. You might also stuff some steel wool in the intake snorkle.

Ron
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Post by hap2 »

Thank u very much. I need & appreciate all the helpful suggestions.
Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by Dennis613l »

Had problems with mice in my older garage one winter.
Moth balls didn't do much, and drier sheets make nice nesting material for them,,,, ;)
Bought some cheapy ultrasonic rodent repellers on ebay, but doubt they really do anything. Threw them away in the end because don't feel comfortable with anything made in China plugged in and left unattended in the garage.
Aside from sealing up the garage of entry points, found that the 'bucket of death' works pretty good to catch the lovely little darlings.....
Attachments

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

If you have a large area to cover, like I do, two RV trailers, and my shop which has the bike, and two lawnmowers in it....

I decided to go with Habanero hot peppers spray this year.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Mice-Naturally

found at: http://everydayroots.com/how-to-get-rid-of-mice

Mouse Deterrent Spray

This is a special little concoction that that doesn’t involve manufactured chemicals or toxins-although I would recommend wearing goggles and gloves when you apply it!

This is a spray made entirely from hot peppers. While we might like a little heat to our food, think about when you get hit with something too spicy. Your eyes start to burn, you’re in pain, and if the scoville units get high enough (the unit used to measure the heat of hot peppers) you can even kick the bucket.

Now imagine you’re a mouse, just a few inches off the floor, snuffling around and minding your own business (kind of) when you stumble across a patch of burning hot “pepper spray.” With your eyes and nose so close to the ground, you’ll be extremely uncomfortable and irritated and not exactly excited to continue on with your journey. You’ll probably turn back to find another, less spicy, place to invade.
This spray uses habanero peppers, which have a scoville rating of 100,000-350,000 units, and cayenne peppers, which rate at 30,000-50,000 units. Compare this to the 1,000-4,000 units of a jalapeno, and it’s easy to see why this is so repugnant to rodents.

You will need…
-1/2 cup chopped habaneros
-2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
-16 cups (1 gallon) of fresh water
-Two 2 gallon buckets
-A gallon jug and a spray bottle
-Cheesecloth
-Gloves/goggles
-A large pot

Directions
Wear gloves and goggles when making and applying this powerful mixture. A surgical mask isn’t a bad idea either, as it can cause some respiratory irritation in some individuals.

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Put peppers and flakes in a food processor and blend until they are a little more roughly chopped up. You can do this by hand, but I find it less irritating to the eyes to use the food processor.

Put the pepper blend into a 2 gallon bucket, and then pour the boiling water over them. Cover the mixture and allow it to sit for 24 hours. Using cheesecloth, strain out the pepper bits by pouring the mixture into another 2 gallon bucket. Fill your spray bottle and spritz around entrances and affected areas. A little goes a long way! Don’t use this on carpets as it may discolor the surface. I like to apply around the outside perimeter of my house, but if you want to apply it indoors, after a day or two wipe the old spray up with some water and reapply. Always test a small area first to make sure it doesn’t affect the color.

The mixture, covered, keeps for months out of direct sunlight, so simply refill your bottle when needed.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Dennis613l wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:22 pm Had problems with mice in my older garage one winter.
Moth balls didn't do much, and drier sheets make nice nesting material for them,,,, ;)
Bought some cheapy ultrasonic rodent repellers on ebay, but doubt they really do anything. Threw them away in the end because don't feel comfortable with anything made in China plugged in and left unattended in the garage.
Aside from sealing up the garage of entry points, found that the 'bucket of death' works pretty good to catch the lovely little darlings.....
I have to second this system.
I've used it with GREAT success.
I drill a couple of small holes in the rim of the bucket and put a piece
of wire coat hanger through there, with a empty plastic soda bottle on
the wire. Smear a band of peanut butter around the middle of the
bottle. About 4 inches of water in the bucket completes the trap.
I was catching 4 or 5 of them at a time with this.

George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"