Headlight Upgrade

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Headlight Upgrade

Post by Solina Dave »

On my '78 GL1000 I have a standard H4 halogen headlight. I'd like to upgrade a little bit to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. I've got no interest in LED or HID conversions. I just want a reasonable improvement over the H4 lamp, and I see that some of you mention having Silverstars.
I have some questions. Reviews I've seen have users commenting on a significant reduction in bulb life. Have you experienced a problem in that regard? And also, does anyone know if the heat emitted by the Silverstar over the H4 would be significantly greater, and cause problems in my light pod/wiring etc.? I would think that there would likely be an increase in heat, but do you think it would be damaging?

Thanks..............Dave

"Assume Nothing"
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Re: Headlight Upgrade

Post by FM-USA »

Solina Dave wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm On my '78 GL1000 I have a standard H4 halogen headlight. I'd like to upgrade a little bit to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. I've got no interest in LED or HID conversions. I just want a reasonable improvement over the H4 lamp, and I see that some of you mention having Silverstars.
I have some questions. Reviews I've seen have users commenting on a significant reduction in bulb life. Have you experienced a problem in that regard? And also, does anyone know if the heat emitted by the Silverstar over the H4 would be significantly greater, and cause problems in my light pod/wiring etc.? I would think that there would likely be an increase in heat, but do you think it would be damaging?

Thanks..............Dave
Few years ago I had those bulbs. 1 year + 1 week both went out within 30 minutes of each other... it was past dark :evil: .
They are brighter and throw a little farther but to me the price every year, NOT!
The left H-Bar headlight switch area got rather warm tho not hot so there is extra juice running. I didn't melt any wires...LUCKY!
Because of those bulbs I replaced the low beam relay twice and that fuse in the fuse box melted. NOT GOOD.
(SUGGESTION) If you're going to UP the watts, run a separate wire & relay.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave »

Thanks FM, from what you're saying the net gain doesn't cut it. The heat angle is risky. As I've been reading, most are complaining about the lifespan. The improvement in illumination appears minimal. And, at least up here in Canada, I'd be looking at $35 each. I think I'll stick with H4 55/60s I've been using for years, for 10 bucks a piece.

Thanks for the info..................Dave :D
"Assume Nothing"
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

'What I was saying', I left it up to you to decide, I merely offered up my info.

I found near free halogens, that so far, lasted 3 years. BUUuuut I want more light..(we darn, ever unsettled humans).
So I now have Leds. Since Aug. 5, not one vehicle has pulled out in front of me where it was several a day. :shock:
The overflow of light does irritate a small handful of drivers I'm behind, they simply let me pass. Curious, does the safety of one/two outweigh the irritations of a few?
So I'm looking for a way to redirect it down. Venetian Blinds? :?
Bonus...
My volt meter shows 14.2 down to 700-ish rpms. BIG PLUS!

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."