timing belts

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
margwal
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 and double sidecar. ( 2 people side by side)

timing belts

Post by margwal »

hi from down under Australia, having finished changing the belts on my GL1500, (fitted with double adult sidecar), I had a difficult time as 2 sidecar mounts had to be removed before the front belly pan could be removed, then the mounts on the frame. all lower fairing panels removed of course, then the right hand (short) belt cover, water temp wire, then pull up the hot air hose away from the front belt cover on the right hand side, ( front view). I did not drain the radiator or remove radiator hose. now the hard part, removed all bolts from the remaining cover, moving it to the right only to find the sidecar blocking the path of the cover.by pulling the cover out on the left hand end I was able to work it out from behind the hoses and extract it from the bike. the dust seal fell of the cover, so a dab of selastic every 2 inches kept it secure when refitting the cover. original belts are in perfect condition and could be used again. fitting the belts was the easy part. checked the timing marks twice (turning motor over with spanner) then with starter motor and checked marks again. all up almost 2 days work for me at my leisurely pace. all this with the bike parked on the garage floor. have owned this outfit 18months from 2 owners, mileage now 24,000 kilometers!! regards walt morgan.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Re: timing belts

Post by aj1500 »

Welcome aboard Walt
sounds like the belt replacement went well. Yeah, there are quite a few repairs that the sidecar make more difficult than normal
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: timing belts

Post by dingdong »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got everything in order. Most used belts "look" new just before they break. Not a good idea to reuse.