gps

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

gps

Post by fred1diver »

hey everyone, I'm looking at buying a gps for my gl1200, which model do you all recommend?
so far I'm interested in the sumo 595lm but it is a bit pricey

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: gps

Post by AZgl1800 »

I chose a Garmin 2797 for $199 from their refurb store, same warranty as a new one, I bought two of them, one of which went back to Garmin because it decided it wanted to emulate a TV set from 1955... remember all of those horizontal lines when it went off station?? they made it good.

you just have to decide for yourself what is important, and go from there.
I forgot to make sure the 2797 has an Audio output jack ( it don't ), so I had to open it up and create one.
However, it does have Bluetooth and will connect to a smartphone. even provides you with a large keypad to make a call from the GPS.

7 inch screens are a requirement for my eyes, you might be okay with a 3.5" or 5" screen. I am not. have 3 of those already, and kept having to get a bigger screen so I can see it without wearing bifocals.

an added good feature of the Garmin 2797 is that the touch screen responds to pressure from a leather glove.
my older units that are smaller won't, have to have bare skin on them.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: gps

Post by Viking »

I have the OEM, which is a Garmin, but it is not as fully functional as I would like, so for the other stuff, like speed comparison with my speedometer, I just use a little Tom Tom. I use it when I put new tires on the bike to check how far out my speedo is so I can compensate. Then I use it occasionally to verify. If I did not have an OEM, I would buy a Zumo. The best one I could afford. Being ex army, I have a lot of respect for GPS units, Garmin and Magellan especially, however, less Magellan any more, as they seem to screw up their programming as soon as the warranty is done. Nothing like planned obsolescence.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey