Insurance

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dalpol57
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Standard

Insurance

Post by dalpol57 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello everybody. I have a question for everyone in gold-doc land. What is the best insurance (coverage and price) for my 84 goldwing?

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Insurance

Post by harvey01 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:15 pm

The coverage in VA may be best with one company but very different in another area of the country.

I would suggest that you contact Progressive, Dairyland, and whoever else in your area that writes motorcycles. Don't forget companies like Nationwide, and State Farm. If you are in the military or a veteran you might also try USAA. I have heard that USAA refers all motorcycle policies to Progressive. I don't know but they do insure my three bikes.

Check around, verify that each company is offering the levels of coverage you need and things like Roadside Assistance if desired. Some policies can even provide for income if you are unable to work for short periods. I would strongly suggest that you stay away from policies based on the state's minimum requirements. I would advise anyone buying insurance to be sure the basic liability coverages provide an amount that will cover most crashes and no one will have to sue you for your house and so forth. Remember that the level of deductibles that you pay out of pocket can make a big difference in the cost of a policy.

Check with as many companies as you can in your area just be sure that they are quoting you the same coverages and deductibles. No, I have no connection or interest in any insurance company.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Roadside Assistance is best obtained from someone who specializes in that.

Good Sam is the cream of the crop, I researched all of them many years ago when I was doing a solo across the whole south end of our lower 48..... Their towing miles is "whatever it takes" to get you to the shop for repairs.

For 911 coverage, you can't beat SPOT's satellite coverage and 911 insurance plan, you can opt in for a Helicopter ride at a minimal increase in premium. I did, and I still do. If you go off the road, and you can't be seen from the trail or the road, and you still have the SPOT device attached to you, press that RED button and the 1st responders will find you, because they use Lat/Long coordinates to get you help.

It don't take much to be "out of cellsite coverage area".... like you just fell into a ditch and the phone can't see any towers at all.... SPOT talks to the satellites over your head..... you log into their website, and set up a profile for you, Medical, friends to contact, etc.... I have 5 people listed with their phone numbers in my profile.

I have used Progressive m/c insurance for many years, they were the ones who paid off on my 94SE when a Penske 18 wheeler totalled it. I am with Liberty Mutual now because they include m/c insurance also. Cars, house, motorcycle.... 3 different policies with them. The rate was a tad bit lower than Progressive at the time I changed.
~John

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 pm

I've been with Geico for about 10 years now - I've given USAA a chance twice, but both times they came back with quotes that were 50% higher than Geico for identical coverage.
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 pm
Roadside Assistance is best obtained from someone who specializes in that.

Good Sam is the cream of the crop, I researched all of them many years ago when I was doing a solo across the whole south end of our lower 48..... Their towing miles is "whatever it takes" to get you to the shop for repairs.

For 911 coverage, you can't beat SPOT's satellite coverage and 911 insurance plan, you can opt in for a Helicopter ride at a minimal increase in premium. I did, and I still do. If you go off the road, and you can't be seen from the trail or the road, and you still have the SPOT device attached to you, press that RED button and the 1st responders will find you, because they use Lat/Long coordinates to get you help.

It don't take much to be "out of cellsite coverage area".... like you just fell into a ditch and the phone can't see any towers at all.... SPOT talks to the satellites over your head..... you log into their website, and set up a profile for you, Medical, friends to contact, etc.... I have 5 people listed with their phone numbers in my profile.

I have used Progressive m/c insurance for many years, they were the ones who paid off on my 94SE when a Penske 18 wheeler totalled it. I am with Liberty Mutual now because they include m/c insurance also. Cars, house, motorcycle.... 3 different policies with them. The rate was a tad bit lower than Progressive at the time I changed.
Insurance is going to be different depending on who you are, where you live, your driving history, your credit score, etc...what might be great deal for one person might not even be available for another. So it's tough to answer.

But as AZGL1800 mentioned, the SPOT is excellent insurance, and I too take mine everywhere (and also have the helicopter evacuation option). In fact, when going out on the boat or something, and I show those on the boat how it works and when it should be used, I refer to the emergency button as the "helicopter button" because that's essentially what it does. :)

You can see my review of it and a PLB here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29654

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:10 pm

I want to mention something that "can be" very important about the GEN III version of the SPOT trackers.

Scott mentions this in his review, but just in case you didn't see that, the GEN III tracker will turn itself OFF if it does not sense any movement for 1 hour.

Why is this important? Well, I had just installed a new set of Lithium batteries in my GEN II and also in my GEN I trackers.... Oh yes, I had to do this twice before it sunk in....

You must turn them off manually.... or they will deplete the batteries right down to zero volts.

Even so, it is hard to upgrade just for that feature.... :(
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Here is a Story of a lady who was bitten by a Tiger Snake in Tasmania.

She had hiked for 3 days away from roads, so walking out was not going to happen.

In her case, she had a PIRB available to her

https://www.acrartex.com/survivors/stor ... Zj6YK.dpbs

~John