Anyone been turned away from CycleMax?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Anyone been turned away from CycleMax?

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:47 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 pm
minimac wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 am
, I'm going to be very, very careful of what I order in the future to make absolutely certain it is exactly what I want.
Just two days ago, I was quandering about a memory chip to make this laptop I use "go better".... it is strangling to death and using the SWAP partition on the HDD so much, it is dragging by its' toes.

Well, once you buy a memory chip, it is ALL YOURS, you can't send it back.

I used a memory lookup chart from 3 different memory makers to verify without a doubt, that the chip that I was ordering will work in my laptop.... a lot of anxious moments, but I think I will be okay.... if it don't work, it is "my fault", not Newegg.com where I bought the chip.
I do not do business with Newegg anymore - after having been burned by their own return policy and ridiculous "restocking fee", I made the choice to never purchase from them again. And I buy a lot of technology - I have spent thousands of dollars with them over many years. Their insistence at charging me a $40 restocking fee for returning a sealed, unopened item, and the way I was treated by their customer "service" over it, has lost them thousands of dollars of my business since.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 am

I have never bought from Cyclemax, and I am not a retailer, so I have no vested interest in either side's argument. I do however have an opinion after reading all of the posts here, and also having much experience of buying goods by mail-order, and occasionally having the odd issue.

I am not too polite to state what is seemingly obvious: What strikes me most is that to me, the OP seems to be in denial. Does he not take responsibility for anything in his life, or is everything someone else's fault?
  • The first mistake he made (and in my opinion the most significant) was to not properly research the details of the part before he ordered it. He could have looked for photos of this product fitted to a bike, take a look at the stated dimensions, and get a tape measure out against his bike. If he had been more careful at the outset, then none of this pa-larva would have ensued! If it was me, and I had any doubt, then I'd have been out there with a garden cane, yogurt pots, and duct-tape to create a quick 'mock-up' that I can stand back and look at from a distance, or see if my legs would catch on them whilst riding, mounting, or dismounting.
  • The second mistake he made was to FIT IT. Once it is fitted, it is no longer new, and cannot be resold as new. there are bound to be marks on the chrome from the threaded fasteners being tightened up. It is Perfectly Reasonable and in fact the norm for any seller to stipulate in their terms of sale that you cannot return something once it has been fitted. If he had only 'offered-up' the part and then decided it was not for him, then fair-enough, but should then never state that he fitted it.
  • The third mistake he made was to come on here bleating about how badly he's been wronged, instead firstly applying a little humility and self critique. It's always too easy to blame someone else, instead of looking in the mirror, and asking 'Could it actually be me?'
From the perspective of Cyclemax, they could reasonably charge a re-stocking fee for non-faulty returned goods to cover their cost in processing the return, or re-selling the part as B-Grade/Opened-Stock/Factory-Second. The fact that they don't is rather good will on their behalf, as I can imagine they don't make a huge margin on what they sell. I have had many bargains buying previously opened and returned goods which had seemingly nothing wrong with them or only minor apparent marking.

My only complaint with Cyclemax is how they broached the subject of suggesting how the buyer might recoup his expenditure. It is not cyclemax's business to tell the customer what they should now do with the used part, and clearly this just fed the buyer's sense that he had been wronged. I feel the conversation should have ended at 'I'm sorry you admitted to fitting the part, which means you accept it, and unfortunately you cannot now return it for refund'. Their volunteering of a suggestion how the buyer could sell the item-on was probably born from their customer empathy, but can be easily deemed as just giving the customer the finger... Sometimes well-intended advice can be mis-interpretted, and it's better to have kept it to yourself.

From the feedback I hear of Cyclemax on forums, I would bet they have an approval rating close to 100%. It would seem their business was developed from, and run with a passion for Wings. There will always be the odd dissatisfied customer; I don't think it is realistic to expect to please all of the people all of the time!

Paypal... it is what it is. At the end of the day it is a business-enabling technology, so both sides have to either accept the terms of using it and get on with making business, or simply decide not to use it! If the disadvantages of using Paypal grossly outweighed the benefits, then either most sellers would stop using it, or most buyers would, and Paypal would go bust!

I don't know about the U.S. (perhaps someone can educate me?) but in the UK we have very clear LAWS to protect both the buyer and the seller.

We have Distance Selling Regulations that infer rights to the buyer when they are buying something that they have not been able to inspect in person before agreeing to purchase.

We also had the 'Sales of goods act', which was replaced with the 'Consumer Rights' act in 2015. This details very clearly the responsibilities of each party involved. e.g. fundamentally goods must be 'as described', 'fit for purpose' and of 'satisfactory quality'. It outlines each party's rights should there be problems with the contract along the way.

If all else fails, then we have a small-claims court system that can offer resolution should things hit a stale-mate, although to be fair this system did let me down the one time that I used it (circumstantial in this case).

If you've read all of my post, I thank you for your patience.
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite 50 SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am

I'll add one thing to this conversation, more as an general eye-opening observation on my part a little while back.

I was reading someones review on a product that I don't even recall anymore and after reviewing specs of a few different models this person narrowed it down to two but they couldn't decide. So he ordered up both, used them for a few days, maybe a week and then after making his final decision on which one he liked best he returned the other.

I almost couldn't believe I had read that, is that really a thing? It frustrated me because that kind of behavior makes for less friendly return policies, higher restock fees, etc for the rest of us consumers. I don't know how common it is to do that but I can certainly appreciate places like Cyclemax's position. If it's been opened, well then it's used.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 26,005 miles and counting as of June 10, 2019!

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Stew wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am
I'll add one thing to this conversation, more as an general eye-opening observation on my part a little while back.

I was reading someones review on a product that I don't even recall anymore and after reviewing specs of a few different models this person narrowed it down to two but they couldn't decide. So he ordered up both, used them for a few days, maybe a week and then after making his final decision on which one he liked best he returned the other.

I almost couldn't believe I had read that, is that really a thing? It frustrated me because that kind of behavior makes for less friendly return policies, higher restock fees, etc for the rest of us consumers. I don't know how common it is to do that but I can certainly appreciate places like Cyclemax's position. If it's been opened, well then it's used.
True, I agree with that. There are a few places that will be ok with it being opened as long as the part has not been installed, yet. Once it's been put on, it's used, no matter what. Now, I do think that Cyclemax should have limited their comments to the the OP to simply "once opened, the part is non-returnable" and kept any suggestions to themselves. What is a helpful suggestion to some, is a bit smart alecky to others.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 am

I have to say, for me my go to people, in order are :

1) Wing Enterprises, a locally owned (in OKC) Mom & Pop wing shop (always support local business when I can)

2) Cyclemax.com , we all know who they are

3) E-Bay, Craigslist, Wing stuff.com

&

4) any where else I might find the part

I did have one bad experience , kind of, with Cyclemax.....I bought my Wind-Bender windscreen ( love it by the way) from them, and when it arrived, I had a GL1800 windscreen I had a GL1800 windscreen in my hands. I did not recognize it as such at first, TRYED to put it on, and when it was obviously the wrong unit to me, I called Cyclemax, told them what happened and THEY called the owner of Firecreek who makes the Windbender, he called me himself, said he had already looked into it and the correct one was being shipped out that same day, along with a return shipping label.

That action, from both Cyclemax, and Firecreek Accessories has earned themselves a life time customer, unless they really screw up a order later on. Mistakes happen , on both the consumer and the venders part, how the one reacts will determine how the other counter reacts to any given situation.

In your case, you said it was uninstalled, but it wasn’t. Once you bolt it on, it is installed, and they are very clear in their return policy, once installed, it can not be returned. Sorry, but in this case, you & paypal where wrong.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 am

Having read thru this post, ordered many items from Cyclemax, and having owned my own business for many years, I am again reassured of one thing. The age old saying of "the customer is always right" is not true. I'm in agreement with Wingadmin on this one. I've experienced it many times over.

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 am

@coolrunnings is the jerk in all this. His entitlement arrogance causes problems for every genuine motorcycle guy or gal. He deserves a kick in the nuts. And the way he treated the seller, he should be banned. Not only that, the scumbag screwed over the seller, and THEN lied and scammed to get what he wanted. KITN #2.
People like this make me sick. Pathetic little weenie.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:54 am

1979wing wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 am
@coolrunnings is the jerk in all this. His entitlement arrogance causes problems for every genuine motorcycle guy or gal. He deserves a kick in the nuts. And the way he treated the seller, he should be banned. Not only that, the scumbag screwed over the seller, and THEN lied and scammed to get what he wanted. KITN #2.
People like this make me sick. Pathetic little weenie.
ROTFL!!!!...Don't hold back now 1979wing; you tell us exactly where you stand on the matter! :D :D :D
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Never been turned away.
Always been very fairly treated.
I've bought from them in the past and will continue to buy from them in the future.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Yup. You can sure tell who the anomaly is in all of this.

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing

Post by Straydogg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

ALWAYS carefully do your homework before ordering. Opened is installed. IMO, case closed. I always buy from Cyclemax and have never been "wronged".

lgjhn
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500

Post by lgjhn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm relatively new on this forum, but FWIW, I just went completely through a '99 1500 Wing this past spring.
I purchased a host of products from CycleMax to complete this endeavor.
One of those parts in particular (a front wheel bearing kit) came with one of the axle seals missing.
I emailed Cyclemax with attached pics of what I received. They immediately addressed this issue by practically overnighting the needed part to me. That one situation, and how quickly and efficiently they handled it, made me a loyal customer. They could have probably said; "Oh well, tough. Not our problem." but they didn't....they made it right. I've gone on to purchase other products from them since then. Personally, I like doing business with em.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:23 pm

lgjhn wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm
I'm relatively new on this forum, but FWIW, I just went completely through a '99 1500 Wing this past spring.
I purchased a host of products from CycleMax to complete this endeavor.
One of those parts in particular (a front wheel bearing kit) came with one of the axle seals missing.
I emailed Cyclemax with attached pics of what I received. They immediately addressed this issue by practically overnighting the needed part to me. That one situation, and how quickly and efficiently they handled it, made me a loyal customer. They could have probably said; "Oh well, tough. Not our problem." but they didn't....they made it right. I've gone on to purchase other products from them since then. Personally, I like doing business with em.
The 1500 is one sweet ride. I've bought my share of Cyclemax products and never had one issue. I am wavering between an 1800 or a Victory ( I know, I know, Polaris killed them. I'm watching the forums to see what guys are saying re parts availability and whatnot.) for my next ride.

You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.